Gabe Kalscheur Commits

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
First rule is you always take the best talent and adjust around them.
Thant said I am on plan #1. I feel 4 starting spots are set PG-Hunter, SG-Gabe, F-Hinson, F/C-Foster. All indications are Hinson will be fine but is coming of a mysterious injury/sickness that caused him to red shirt. being off a year may take a bit to get back to his sophomore level of play. Right now in my mind SF is a weaker position than Guard. I feel Kunc and Javia would be better of the bench. Adding a starting SG/SF who can shoot the 3 and using the 2nd F/PF would as Hinson insurance would round out the team nicely in my mind.

I guess I am not sure how attractive ISU would be to a 1 year guard that would be better than Walker and Jackson are right now. Most guys transferring are looking to play and would be behind Hunter/Kalcheur. Also we can consider Lipsey is TJ's top target for '22. I am not sure the staff would want to add another guard with 2-3 years eligibility with the expectation Tyrese/Gabe/Tre/Walker will be here for 2 years.

I am a bit more
I'm interested in why everyone thinks Foster is going to start immediately. He is coming off an injury while Conditt has had all this time to practice on his game and rumor has been he's been getting after it. Im thinking the starting 5 are going to be Hunter, Gabe, Hinson, Kunc, and Conditt. It's a very versatile starting 5 with good size to rebound and ability to make 3's. If a better player comes in, I could see Kunc going to the bench and Hinson getting pushed to the 4.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
I'm interested in why everyone thinks Foster is going to start immediately. He is coming off an injury while Conditt has had all this time to practice on his game and rumor has been he's been getting after it. Im thinking the starting 5 are going to be Hunter, Gabe, Hinson, Kunc, and Conditt. It's a very versatile starting 5 with good size to rebound and ability to make 3's. If a better player comes in, I could see Kunc going to the bench and Hinson getting pushed to the 4.
Talent, especially his ability to shoot.

ISUguy

Prime Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Jun 27, 2006
That very well might be the line up. To me, Conditt has to prove it. The difference between him and Foster in my eyes is that Conditt has had opportunities and not grabbed the position. Foster is still the unknown, highly rated recruit who we see as a high upside.

Reactions: BigCyFan

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
That very well might be the line up. To me, Conditt has to prove it. The difference between him and Foster in my eyes is that Conditt has had opportunities and not grabbed the position. Foster is still the unknown, highly rated recruit who we see as a high upside.
I feel like everyone should have to prove it. It sounds like Conditt has been proving it lately and he looked the part late in the season. Hoping the new staff lights a fire under his ass.

Reactions: BigCyFan

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Hunter stated that TJ was pitching him and Foster as the P&R tandem which really intrigued him helping him recommit. I also have to assume that one of the reason XF stayed was he was assured a starting role. Reality is top 75 recruits start early even if the haven't fully proved it for many reasons talent, effort the staff put in recruiting them, and for future recruiting of similar players. I am quite confident if Foster didn't have the unfortunate injury XF would have been starting by the end of the year. He was earning more minutes game by game.

Reactions: BigCyFan and Acylum

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Hunter stated that TJ was pitching him and Foster as the P&R tandem which really intrigued him helping him recommit. I also have to assume that one of the reason XF stayed was he was assured a starting role. Reality is top 75 recruits start early even if the haven't fully proved it for many reasons talent, effort the staff put in recruiting them, and for future recruiting of similar players. I am quite confident if Foster didn't have the unfortunate injury XF would have been starting by the end of the year. He was earning more minutes game by game.
Where did he state this? I haven't seen this specific piece? I know that Hunter and Foster are close but I haven't seen anything on the P&R piece.

ISUguy

Prime Сasual Dating - Authentic Ladies
Jun 27, 2006
I feel like everyone should have to prove it. It sounds like Conditt has been proving it lately and he looked the part late in the season. Hoping the new staff lights a fire under his ass.
I agree. Point being though that Conditt hasn't shown it when he has been given the opportunity so he is a bit in the hole in many people's minds and has to change the perception he has given people so far. Good to hear that he is doing better in workouts. That is what we all want.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I think you can play both. Conditt at C and Foster a stretch 4. Hinson can man the SF spot and your set.

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think you can play both. Consort at C and Foster a stretch 4. Hinson can man the SF spot and your set.
I've thought about that as well, but there are a lot of teams that play small ball anymore. You almost need the ability to switch 1-4 anymore.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I've thought about that as well, but there are a lot of teams that play small ball anymore. You almost need the ability to switch 1-4 anymore.
It depends on how position versatile Hinson and Kalscheur are. It’s also possible Kunc mans a starting spot. He’s a super efficient player and I suspect is here to start, not sub.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Didn’t almost everyone leave before Fred’s first year?

To a large extent.

Notable departures from 09-10:
Brackins - declared for draft
Gilstrap - appeal for another year of eligibility denied
Dendy - transferred (after FH was named coach)
Hamilton - transferred
Colvin - transferred
Boozer - transferred (after FH was named coach)
(“My name is Lucca” Staiger bolted midway thru 09-10 season)

Returned: Christopherson, Garrett, Vanderbeken

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It doesn’t matter who starts at the 5 really, both guys will get plenty of minutes. Jones likely will get some too. If Conditt and Foster challenge shots they are going to get some fouls.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I love Conditt, thinks he’s a stand up kid and great ambassador for the program, but I just don’t think he’s that good. We’ve probably already seen his ceiling. Hope to god I’m wrong, because I’d love to see no one more than him out there killing it, but I just don’t think it’s there.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
What next season's team might need more than anything is Conditt to come in and play with some fire that he had as a freshman.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Sure you can play them both, if Foster proves he can defend smaller quicker more athletic 4’s. But odds are both still aren’t on the floor together often.

I agree. Having said that, would putting them out there together (Foster 4, Conditt 5) work better for spot minutes in a zone defense (instead of man)? Look, I do know a zone can cause big issues with rebounding, and we need all the improvement we can muster with rebounding. But it always irritated me how we hardly ever changed up our defenses. Heck, even Gonzaga slowed down Baylor for a spell to stem the tide before halftime and they had hardly played much zone before that game. I get the philosophy, be good at one defense instead of average at multiple defenses, but I just think situations warrant it at times.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think you can play both. Conditt at C and Foster a stretch 4. Hinson can man the SF spot and your set.

Agree

One issue with the Clones the last couple years has been rebounding and physicality. If Hinson plays the 3- that gives us a long perimeter shooter & defender. It is the position that Hinson is going to play if he has NBA aspirations. He will want to show he can guard college wings. If match-ups dictate, Hinson can play some 4.

One thing I would like TJ to play is some zone. There are teams that struggle against a zone defense. And there are times in a game when playing zone can disrupt an opponent if it is hot offensively. A baseline of Hinson, Foster & Condit would disrupt opponent baseline 3 point shooters.

str8cashhomie

Jun 15, 2014
Sure you can play them both, if Foster proves he can defend smaller quicker more athletic 4’s. But odds are both still aren’t on the floor together often.
Yeah, based on who we've brought in and who CW said we're now going after (Enaruna and Fletcher), I bet we see a lot of lineups with one of Conditt or Foster at the 5, a couple big wings/forwards at the 3/4 (Hinson, Kunc, Johnson + Enaruna and/or Fletcher) Kalscheur at the 2 and Hunter at the 1. Tre/Grill flesh out the reserve minutes at the guard spots and there's your ball club.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Hunter
Kalscheur
Hinson/transfer
Hinson/transfer
Foster

I think the 5th starter isn’t on the roster, but if we miss out then it’s likely a competition between Johnson and Kunc. I like Johnson and Grill as some of the first off the bench though.