Idea: Game Watches

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just curious, Jeremy, would it be possible to have a section dedicated to Game Watch Sites, so that if someone wants to see where Cyclones gather and games are watched, they could simply refer to that section, and not delve through hundreds of posts? Or, post the same area time and time again? :wink:

Just an idea to concentrate the info in one place.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I had thought about offering this as an idea before - the only thing is that it is relatively useless for about 8 months of the year (since there aren't often wrestling, MBB, or WBB game watches).

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I had thought about offering this as an idea before - the only thing is that it is relatively useless for about 8 months of the year (since there aren't often wrestling, MBB, or WBB game watches).

I guess then that there are no areas of the forums that are "relatively useless" most of the year? :wink:

Not to mention...

cough-instaterivals-cough:biglaugh:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Heh - yeah, but there have only been a few dozen posts in all of the game watch threads combined. Recruiting for the sports happens year-round, and forums like the Inter-State Rivals get a TON of activity, for good or for bad.

Big12Fan

Nov 24, 2006
Davenport
I can understand, Angie. It's just that on a gameday such as today, we in Eastern Iowa, feel landlocked into Hawkeye this and Hawkeye that, whether they win or lose. Heh, heh, heh! Too bad Hawks! Thankfully, I will get informed by the one organizing a Gamewatch in my town when there is a game to be seen on television. Today I just have to be happy with a local radio station, ONE local radio station; not ten different stations like the Hawkeyes.

Reactions: Angie

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Heh - yeah, but there have only been a few dozen posts in all of the game watch threads combined. Recruiting for the sports happens year-round, and forums like the Inter-State Rivals get a TON of activity, for good or for bad.

Semantics, Ang. You said "useless", and nothing about activity...:wink:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Having thought about it (and woke up with the idea)...

Could you guys just start a "Game Watch" thread in football--and pin it? Sticky it at the top of the Football Forum, whatever it is you call it, and leave it there through the season? The people could make suggestions and comments, and the mods could update the original post as new sites were added, sort of an index, like a section alphabetized "In Iowa" and then "National Game Watches".

I know it's a little extra work (for which thousands would doubtless adore you :notworthy:) for the mods, but I wondered if that idea might make sense, and prove practical all at the same time.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Well, over a dozen people said they'd show up for a game watch at the Stadium last night, and 6 of us actually showed up.

If people are going to do the work of organizing reservations at bars/restaurants (thanks CyAggie!), people should actually show up when they say they will.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Well, over a dozen people said they'd show up for a game watch at the Stadium last night, and 6 of us actually showed up.

If people are going to do the work of organizing reservations at bars/restaurants (thanks CyAggie!), people should actually show up when they say they will.

For most things, that's a pretty high turnout, I would say. It's sad, but that's about right.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I can certainly figure out a way to keep the game watches into some segregated area. I could add a sub-forum for ISU General if people would like that.

Ang is right - we have had categories for things like game watches before but it becomes a hassle to maintain them throughout the year for as little as they're used. A sub-category would work though as it's easier to incorporate in my maintenance and enhancement work.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Not a problem, it was nice to meet everyone there. In the end, I think there were a dozen scattered around. We also had a players parents join us at the end.

Someone suggested it, all I tried to do was set it up, no big deal either way. The service and food was good, and we were able to hear the broadcast.

CyAggie