MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I knew with the Yanks pitchers Luis Severino and Jordon Montgomery scheduled to come off the IL for the first time this year that the injury gods would would require a sacrifice of equal or greater value. It is their way in 2019. :oops:

Kinda bummed that in today's doubleheader that it's Gary Sanchez, Edwin Encarnacion and maybe J.A. Happ too. Seems a disproportionate taking considering the playoffs are only a few weeks a week. ******* hateful injury gods. Guessing they be all mad that the broken wrist didn't keep Edwin out for the season so hitting him again. Seems overkill since they have already broken the MLB record for injuries in a single season.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Obviously not a fun day on the Iowa State front.

Unfortunately it isn't much better on the Atlanta Braves front either. We beat the gNats 10-1 and clinched a playoff spot but super utility guy Charlie Culberson got hit flush in the face with a 91 mph fastball while squaring to bunt. He had no chance of getting out of the way and the ball missed everything but his face. Really scary to watch and sounded horrible.

Nationals manager Dave Martinez asked the home plate umpire (while Culberson was still down) to appeal to the firstbase umpire in regards to whether Culberson offered at the ball. They said he did. Brian Snitker, rightfully, went ape**** and got tossed from the game.

If you go by the rule book, yeah I guess he "offered" at the ball even though everyone knows good and damn well the second he saw that heat seeker coming at his face, the last thing he was thinking was "lemme try to bunt this bad boy". But I guess it was technically the right call because he never actually pulled the bat back. But Dave Martinez, **** you for not having the decency to wait until they cart him off the field. And also, good work leaving Fernando Rodney in the game to get shelled after he hits a guy in the face. I'm sure he enjoyed being left on the mound and was totally focused to play baseball. Great managing. Idiot.

• Dislike
Reactions: matclone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Oakland just picked up its 89th win. They're currently in first place for the AL Wild Card. Tampa is just a half game back (assuming their late-inning lead holds tonight). Cleveland dropped a double-header to the Twins and are now 2.5 behind the Rays for the second WC spot.

Bummer about Culberson. I was disappointed when SF traded him away a few years back. Hope he's ok.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And Trouts out now for the year for foot surgery. Not that it matters since the Angels aren't even close to .500 but his stats for only 134 games are his usual crazy good .291, 45 HR 104 RBI 110 runs.

Nine years in the majors and a total of 15 plate appearances in post season play. :oops:

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
And Trouts out now for the year for foot surgery. Not that it matters since the Angels aren't even close to .500 but his stats for only 134 games are his usual crazy good .291, 45 HR 104 RBI 110 runs.

Nine years in the majors and a total of 15 plate appearances in post season play. :oops:
He hasn't played a full season since 2016 and it's starting to feel a little too much like Griffey.

Hopefully, for the sake of baseball, that organization figures out how to put some decent pieces around him.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Better late than never in 2019. Yanks ace Luis Severino made his first start of the year in game 151 but I'll take it. Four shutout innings and had all of his velocity, averaged 97 mph. Wasn't sure if he'd make it back this season but looked like he's maybe going to be back on the postseason roster as a real option.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Cool. Grandson of Yaz played against the Sox tonight. And homered.

You couldn't have scripted that any better if you tried. Carl threw out the first pitch last night at Fenway. Grandson Mike was catcher. Was pretty cool.

Also in reference to last night's game in Boston, Giants skipper Bruce Bochy picked up his 2000th win as manager (in this, his last season before retirement). I was worried that SF wouldn't do well enough this year for him to reach that milestone. He's already going to end up in the HoF, but that's a big achievement for anyone. Only ten managers had reached 2000 up to yesterday.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You couldn't have scripted that any better if you tried. Carl threw out the first pitch last night at Fenway. Grandson Mike was catcher. Was pretty cool.

Also in reference to last night's game in Boston, Giants skipper Bruce Bochy picked up his 2000th win as manager (in this, his last season before retirement). I was worried that SF wouldn't do well enough this year for him to reach that milestone. He's already going to end up in the HoF, but that's a big achievement for anyone. Only ten managers have reached 2000 up to yesterday.

Throwback Thursday: Watching the bottom of the 9th in the 1978 Yanks/BoSox playoff game. Yaz was up with 2 outs. Runners on the corners. One run game. I was sorta accepting he would probably homer again for a walk-off win . Popped up to 3rd, much to my 20-something Yank fans relief. :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Buster28

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Acuna hit #40 today. Now 3 steals shy of 40/40.

So 8 games left and he doesn't have to deal with Realmuto again. It's gonna be close... he's hitting below the Mendoza line since August 20th. Woof.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to check into the final regular season Yankee game just to see who gets hurt and misses the playoffs. :oops: Just kidding. Kind of.

They did seem to dodge a couple bullets this week by getting Gary Sanchez back (I was not thinking they would) and the 95 mph fastball to the back of Urshela's left hand did not break anything like it looked it might.

Hicks, Betances and Tauchman are all out for sure as is the 18 game winner D. German with his admin leave (soon to be MLB suspension). Encarnicion is a big maybe and Paxton (supposed to be 1st game starter) is day-to-day. I sure Paxton is still on play-off roster come the end of the week whether he's able to go in game one or not. Not sure about Encarnicion, his situation had me looking up injuries and post season roster rules. If they put him on the roster and he can't go they can replace him but than he's out for any subsequent series. If you are replaced during a series you are done for the year. I won't be surprised to see him off the roster and Ford in his place versus the Twins with the hope they can win and advance and he can play later in the post season.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
EFvmUseWsAEuH3f

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Wildcards should really be 2 of 3 mini-series.
I've been saying this ever since they came up with the idiotic idea. A one game "playoff" can simply come down to whoever got luckiest with their pitching rotation at the end of the season. I'd rather see a 5 game series, or just go to 4 teams in each league.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz