MLB: ****General Discussion Thread - Baseball Season 2019****

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think I may have seen CC Sabbathia's last game yesterday. Had to come out with "10" pain in his knee after three innings. Guessing he might go on IL for rest of season so they can open up a post season roster spot for someone.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Washington Nationals went 19-7 in August, good enough for a .731 win percentage but only gained a half game on Atlanta lol. That sucks.

Everyone has already crowed LA as the NL pennant winner but if Atlanta and Washington's bullpens can get their lives together, I really think they could be a real handful for the Dodgers. Their bats and starting rotation can hang, but those bullpens... woof.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Washington Nationals went 19-7 in August, good enough for a .731 win percentage but only gained a half game on Atlanta lol. That sucks.

Everyone has already crowed LA as the NL pennant winner but if Atlanta and Washington's bullpens can get their lives together, I really think they could be a real handful for the Dodgers. Their bats and starting rotation can hang, but those bullpens... woof.

St Louis is gonna win the whole damn thing.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyclone101

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Went out Jimi Hendrix style, aspirating his own vomit and dying of asphyxia. Not the most dignified way of dying. :(

Been curious to see what was up with this. Young healthy athletes don't just drop dead in their sleep of natural causes unless it's a brain or aortic aneurysm or something like that.

Will be interested to see if the families allegation that an Angel's employee is responsible has any legs or if it's just family deflection.

Same age as Hendrix too.

It bothers me a bit that the family (and without question from the media reports I've seen) is framing this as some other person being "responsible" for Skaggs' death. Someone may have illegally supplied him with drugs (for which there is likely a criminal penalty) but unless that person forced him to take unprescribed drugs and drink alcohol, someone else here is responsible too.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Speaking of the Red Sox, and I was, I am looking for anyone that thought last years World Series champs would have the 12th best record in baseball in early September. :eek:

I mean no one realistically expected a repeat magic season but the drop off has been pretty dramatic all season considering they didn't loose a ton-o-guys to free agencies or have a bunch of season ending injuries to key players. Okay, The Vulture left but that's not all of it.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
vrcfwxrk86l31.jpg

Race for the Best Record in the NL
*The Atlanta Braves have entered the chat*

Nationals fans were getting pretty loud early last week about coming for the NL east crown and it's hard to blame them, they were playing some good baseball. That is until Atlanta reminded them who the big hammer in the east is and took all three games to start the 4 game series. Hopefully make it a sweep over Washington today and they'll be an afterthought for good.

Atlanta has quietly came into the conversation for home field advantage in the playoffs over the last week or two. In their last 20 games they are 17-3 and are now just 2.5 games back of the Dodgers for the best record in the NL. They've won 13 in a row at home so I could get on board with some HFA.

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will be looking forward to next year when they cut back on the cray cray September roster expansions. So weird that you play by one set of rules for Apr/May/June/July/Aug and than another set of rules in September during crunch time.

Been watching Yanks/BoSox series this weekend and Boston used 14 different relief pitchers in three games. That's more than the number of pitchers they would carry including starters just a few weeks ago. Counting starters and guys who pitched twice they came close to a pitcher per inning. :eek:

Some hot takes from SI on the roster going to 28 for September next year, a move I wholeheartedly support.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/04/baseball-roster-expansion-september

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Will be looking forward to next year when they cut back on the cray cray September roster expansions. So weird that you play by one set of rules for Apr/May/June/July/Aug and than another set of rules in September during crunch time.

Been watching Yanks/BoSox series this weekend and Boston used 14 different relief pitchers in three games. That's more than the number of pitchers they would carry including starters just a few weeks ago. Counting starters and guys who pitched twice they came close to a pitcher per inning. :eek:

Some hot takes from SI on the roster going to 28 for September next year, a move I wholeheartedly support.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/04/baseball-roster-expansion-september
That should cut down on my "Who the **** is that guy?"

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
"Edwin Encarnacion and Gary Sanchez both went to visit the Red Sox legend at his home during their day off in Boston on Thursday."

https://nypost.com/2019/09/06/yankees-duo-visit-recovering-david-oritz/

Picture in the story from Sanchez's Instagram show shows a pretty lean looking Ortiz. Guess he's lost some weight with all of the intestinal surgery/recovery and such.

Big Papi was back in Fenway tonight and threw out the opening pitch and addressed the crowd.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
............another Yankees player going on the injury list, as outfielder Mike Tauchman was added two days after suffering a Grade 2 calf strain that probably ended his season.

The Yankees added to their major league record with Tauchman becoming their 30th player this season to go on the IL for a total of 38 stints.

Pitcher Heller returned from the IL almost two years after Tommy John so the baseball injury gods demanded and got another sacrifice. :(

Feel bad or Tauchman, he got a chance to play because of all the injuries, played terrific ball in the field and at the plate and now will miss the post season. Bummer.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
If you saw the score from the Oakland-Houston game last night, you'd think it was in reference to the NFL teams. Oakland won in Houston 21-7 just one day after getting shut out 15-0. Houston was just two days removed from beating Seattle 21-1. Oakland tied a franchise record of 25 hits in the game, equaling a feat they first achieved in 1969. The score was 7-1 after 1 inning (Astros starter Wade Miley got pulled after the 6th run scored with only one out) and exploded to 17-2 by the 4th. Every A's starter had at least two hits. Houston became the first MLB team to have three consecutive games decided by 14 or more runs since 1893 (and just the third team ever to do so).

Highlights:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you saw the score from the Oakland-Houston game last night, you'd think it was in reference to the NFL teams. Oakland won in Houston 21-7 just one day after getting shut out 15-0. Houston was just two days removed from beating Seattle 21-1. Oakland tied a franchise record of 25 hits in the game, equaling a feat they first achieved in 1969. The score was 7-1 after 1 inning (Astros starter Wade Miley got pulled after the 6th run scored with only one out) and exploded to 17-2 by the 4th. Every A's starter had at least two hits. Houston became the first MLB team to have three consecutive games decided by 14 or more runs since 1893 (and just the third team ever to do so).

Highlights:

How do you get that one point in football as a standalone score? ;)

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Before play on Tuesday, Bruce Bochy had a career record of 1995-2019, he started managing in 1995. At the conclusion of play yesterday, the Mariners have a record of 1995-2019 since 1995.

• Informative
Reactions: SCyclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Busy week for Dodger team doctor and expert Dr. Neal ElAttrache crushing the hopes of post season center fielders. First he see's Twin's Buxton and now he's done for the year and scheduling shoulder surgery. Then he saw Yanks Aaron Hicks and now he's done for the year with Tommy John looming as a definite possibility. If they have to do the TJ hope they do it sooner rather than later. Didi Gregorius made it back by June 7th this year after TJ surgery last fall. That was pretty fast even for a non-pitcher though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Found this in a pile of old baseball stuff recently. Made me miss the old Met in Bloomington. Kind of a dump and more like a AAA stadium by the late '70's but I've never had as good a field side seats as back than.

twin certificate CF scale.jpg

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Found this in a pile of old baseball stuff recently. Made me miss the old Met in Bloomington. Kind of a dump and more like a AAA stadium by the late '70's but I've never had as good a field side seats as back than.

View attachment 66668
When I was a kid, Earl Battey and Sandy Valdespino paid a visit to the local Y.

One of my cousins had a baseball that was reportedly a home run ball from Bob Allison (at the Met, I'm sure).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron