Getting pepper spray in DSM...

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I never figured that pepper spray would be the kind of thing you could just walk in and buy. Not like guns or anything like that, but I would imagine that it's kept behind the counter, maybe locked up.

Actually here in WI, it's kept on a standard end of aisle display rack. Just pick which size and color (I saw one that was pink with soccer balls on it at MC Sports).

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
If you can have her come along so someone could show her how to use it, or show you so you can show her, that would be good. You'd think it's fairly intuitive to use, but it's not uncommon for the user to accidentally spray him/herself.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
If you can have her come along so someone could show her how to use it, or show you so you can show her, that would be good. You'd think it's fairly intuitive to use, but it's not uncommon for the user to accidentally spray him/herself.

So it's not like a Claymore? It doesn't say "Point at Enemy"?

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan

+1

Buy three cans, and use up two learning how to use it. It's pretty hard to actually hit someone with it where it will do some good (eyes/mouth area)

And it might be a good idea for your loved one to learn what it feels like to get sprayed with it. At contact range, she IS going to get sprayed.

I'll caveat that saying that I'm not a big fan of "less than lethal" solutions inside a house. Pepper spray may just tick him off enough to really do some nasty stuff.

Again, having a plan and having proficiency are as important as having a weapon.

Clone1450

Dec 30, 2008
Kansas City
Is the store next to MC Sports still empty? I never figured that pepper spray would be the kind of thing you could just walk in and buy. Not like guns or anything like that, but I would imagine that it's kept behind the counter, maybe locked up.

Aparently you've never purchased a gun either, because it's just that easy. In most gun shops you can be in and out gun in hand in 5-7 minutes no problem. I think you can buy a gun faster than you can go to Wal-Mart, park, walk to the back of the store (sporting goods is always in the very back corner for some reason), pick out some pepper spray, walk all the way to checkout, wait in line, and walk back to your car.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
Carpenters in Des Moines. Just East of that Rookies on SW 63rd Street (and Park Avenue area) where West Des Moines and Des Moines meet.

They will have several good options.

Pepper Spray/OC is going to affect the shooter in a small area, be prepared to be hurt also.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
+1

Buy three cans, and use up two learning how to use it. It's pretty hard to actually hit someone with it where it will do some good (eyes/mouth area)

And it might be a good idea for your loved one to learn what it feels like to get sprayed with it. At contact range, she IS going to get sprayed.

I'll caveat that saying that I'm not a big fan of "less than lethal" solutions inside a house. Pepper spray may just tick him off enough to really do some nasty stuff.

Again, having a plan and having proficiency are as important as having a weapon.

My mother in law is on the three can plan. Unfortunately that's because she sprayed her self trying to figure how to use it. Then she took her car to the shop and the guy in the shop sprayed himself fiddling with it as it was attached to her key chain. Now she has one that is on her key chain ready at a moments notice to spray herself in the face again the first time she's startled.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm sure the WDM PD could point you in the right direction - maybe even sell themselves.

If you and/or yours are going to "try" the spray - don't be an idiot and do it indoors. And don't be an even bigger idiot and "threaten" to spray your boyfriend because you think you're being funny. :arghh::cry:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Aparently you've never purchased a gun either, because it's just that easy. In most gun shops you can be in and out gun in hand in 5-7 minutes no problem. I think you can buy a gun faster than you can go to Wal-Mart, park, walk to the back of the store (sporting goods is always in the very back corner for some reason), pick out some pepper spray, walk all the way to checkout, wait in line, and walk back to your car.

Huh. You must go to different gun stores than I do. Because when I buy a gun, I have to fill out paperwork, let them photocopy my ID, wait for the instant background check, etc..

Must be some special stores you go to.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If you and/or yours are going to "try" the spray - don't be an idiot and do it indoors. And don't be an even bigger idiot and "threaten" to spray your boyfriend because you think you're being funny. :arghh::cry:

Quite literally crying. :wink:

Clone1450

Dec 30, 2008
Kansas City
Huh. You must go to different gun stores than I do. Because when I buy a gun, I have to fill out paperwork, let them photocopy my ID, wait for the instant background check, etc..

Must be some special stores you go to.

Fill out the paperwork - 2 minutes... 3 if you've never done it before... (Name, Address Phone Number, are you a terrorist, etc.)

Photocopy ID - Maybe 30 secconds if you count the time it takes them to walk to the copier and back, but they usually do it while you're filling out the paperwork, so 0.

Instant background check - You guessed it, pretty much instant (atually takes 2-3 minutes via telephone)

Grand total time 4-6 minutes, I still contest that's quicker than going in to Wal-Mart. In fact, I would wager that it is quicker than calling Wal-Mart and finding out if they carry pepper spray and what the cost is.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Fill out the paperwork - 2 minutes... 3 if you've never done it before... (Name, Address Phone Number, are you a terrorist, etc.)

Photocopy ID - Maybe 30 secconds if you count the time it takes them to walk to the copier and back, but they usually do it while you're filling out the paperwork, so 0.

Instant background check - You guessed it, pretty much instant (atually takes 2-3 minutes via telephone)

Grand total time 4-6 minutes, I still contest that's quicker than going in to Wal-Mart. In fact, I would wager that it is quicker than calling Wal-Mart and finding out if they carry pepper spray and what the cost is.

I disagree. The paperwork changes, has all sorts of reverse wording questions on it, and it's a Federal crime to assist the guy filling it out.

10 min. for the paperwork.

I've never had an instant check go in in less than 15 min. Never.

And btw, in the state of Iowa, it goes like this:

Go to store to buy gun. Store refuses to sell you because you don't have permit to acquire. Go to sheriff's office, stand in line for an hour or so to get the application. Fill out application. Get refused because you don't have $6 exact change. Go somewhere to get exact change. Get back into line for another hour. Turn in application. Wait 5-7 days because the 3 days specified by sheriff, only counts AFTER the sheriff accepts your paperwork, and if you live in Jasper County, that takes up to a week, for the sheriff to drag his feet and get a signed copy back to you. 72 hours later, you can THEN go to the store to buy your gun, despite it being your right to do so.

So, what do you know about buying guns in Iowa, again?

Last edited:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I disagree. The paperwork changes, has all sorts of reverse wording questions on it, and it's a Federal crime to assist the guy filling it out.

10 min. for the paperwork.

I've never had an instant check go in in less than 15 min. Never.

And btw, in the state of Iowa, it goes like this:

Go to store to buy gun. Store refuses to sell you because you don't have permit to acquire. Go to sheriff's office, stand in line for an hour or so to get the application. Fill out application. Get refused because you don't have $6 exact change. Go somewhere to get exact change. Get back into line for another hour. Turn in application. Wait 5-7 days because the 3 days specified by sheriff, only counts AFTER the sheriff accepts your paperwork, and if you live in Jasper County, that takes up to a week, for the sheriff to drag his feet and get a signed copy back to you. 72 hours later, you can THEN go to the store to buy your gun, despite it being your right to do so.

So, what do you know about buying guns in Iowa, again?

WRONG. This is how it goes in Iowa:

Go to store to buy gun. Tell clerk you are close personal friend of Phaedrus. Go home with gun of choice. :yes: