Give me your most unpopular take about Iowa State

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think i finally found my 'hot take'.

The "ISU has won awards for our grass field" take is one of the stupidest takes this fanbase has. So many schools moved away from grass over the years that this award is meaningless.

And should that trump the fact our elite head coach has expressed his disappointment with the grass field?

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
2013....I don't know if that was really the time anyway since ISU was at least .500 in 2012. It was and is easy to say he should have been let go earlier, but really it makes sense that 2015 was the last stance and the KSU game sealed the deal.

Who would have been available after the 2013 or 2014 seasons anyway? Mack Brown?
That Kansas State game reminds me of another one: Rhoads has taken too much blame for that loss. If we don’t turn the ball over the last three straight drives or whatever it was, we win that game

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I think i finally found my 'hot take'.

The "ISU has won awards for our grass field" take is one of the stupidest takes this fanbase has. So many schools moved away from grass over the years that this award is meaningless.
And my hot take would be that artificial turf fields in outdoor stadiums are hideous. Hell, even Kinnick was better when they had real grass. There’s also a reason why Baltimore switched from artificial to natural.

On top of that, Iowa State has a great turfgrass program, and losing their main project would be devastating for the program.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
And my hot take would be that artificial turf fields in outdoor stadiums are hideous. Hell, even Kinnick was better when they had real grass. There’s also a reason why Baltimore switched from artificial to natural.

On top of that, Iowa State has a great turfgrass program, and losing their main project would be devastating for the program.

I couldnt give 2 ***** about the turfgrass program (again, how many of those are there?) and there are plenty of other turf facilities they can go maintain. Plenty of golf courses out there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That Kansas State game reminds me of another one: Rhoads has taken too much blame for that loss. If we don’t turn the ball over the last three straight drives or whatever it was, we win that game

True, players have to execute, but I've seen multiple instances in which a coach didn't put his players in position to even come close to turning the ball over by making the sure the ball was as far away from the opponent as possible to bleed clock, and hand the ball to the ref to bleed the clock further.

To boot, he went off of some percentages chart for his decisions. Mac had some classics but holy **** was that some classic ISU **** that afternoon.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I couldnt give 2 ***** about the turfgrass program (again, how many of those are there?) and there are plenty of other turf facilities they can go maintain. Plenty of golf courses out there.

It’s sounds like the “Iowa State of old” mentality

“Hey, our top notch head coach was disappointed with the grass field this year. He wants us to do something about it.”

“Yeah but think of the turf grass program”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Matt Campbell should get what he wants. If he wants grass, he should get grass. If he wants turf, he should get turf.

Yeah I like how the grass thing is still sort of unique in the current era, but if CMC says he wants to switch, it needs to be done by like noon the next day.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So does this go in with the wrestling and baseball discussion?

What's the enrollment for the turfgrass program, and what kind of other worldly effect does it have on the food I'm eating?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Preventing alcohol sales in the stadium contributes to the high quality of our tailgate scene, and is the real reason Pollard refuses to allow it.

ISU tailgating is what keeps people showing up in the lean years.

FB tailgating is the golden goose. Zero doubt.