GM Axes 1100 dealers with 1300 more to come by Oct 10

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
"All told, the planned dealership cuts at Chrysler and GM will eventually cost 140,000 jobs"

Thank god they're cutting those jobs to preserve the unions at the assembly plants.

:sad:

Last edited:
Reactions: CyPride

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
Do we know which local dealers are affected yet? I know there's been speculation, didn't know if there's any sort of an official list yet like Chrysler?

CyPlainsDrifter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 19, 2006
Funny thing on that Chrylser list...... Mickey Dodge in CR got cut, but the McGrath (formerly Pontiac)/Jeep dealer has been told they may have the option to pick up the Dodge and Chrysler lines. I can't imagine how that is fair??? Mickey Dodge has been around forever and they're going to cut them to give someone else the line? I see lots of lawsuits in Chrysler's future.

ISU_REV

Apr 21, 2006
"All told, the planned dealership cuts at Chrysler and GM will eventually cost 140,000 jobs"

Thank god they're cutting those jobs to preserve the unions at the assembly plants.

:sad:

Silly question....Could some of these lots stay open and just sell used cars?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It amazes me how many families GM has ****ed over. Will all of the big wigs retire in a foreign country now to hide?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A reminder to keep this non-political. Thanks.

ia2189

Aug 4, 2006
Do we know which local dealers are affected yet? I know there's been speculation, didn't know if there's any sort of an official list yet like Chrysler?

GM is not releasing a master list like Chrysler did. They're leaving it up to individual dealers to disclose the information.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It amazes me how many families GM has ****ed over. Will all of the big wigs retire in a foreign country now to hide?

GM also kept employing a lot of families longer than they should have. They haven't been viable for a while.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
Does GM actually think this will decrease potential fall-out? You just as well put everything out in the open like Chrysler did.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Silly question....Could some of these lots stay open and just sell used cars?

Yes, that would be an option for them. They still may have to downsize unless they are able to increase the volume of used cars they are selling. They could keep the service department open too, but would lose at least the warrenty and recall work.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Yes, that would be an option for them. They still may have to downsize unless they are able to increase the volume of used cars they are selling. They could keep the service department open too, but would lose at least the warrenty and recall work.

Ok, stupid question time. What happens to all the cars? Going-out-of-business sales?

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

My wife works in automobile advertizing and talks to car dealers every day. From what they tell her, the real profit is in selling used cars and not new ones.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
define political? This is a VERY political issue right now.

The Chrysler thread seemed to do ok and has remained out of the cave. Strive to keep this one out of the cave as well.

If you'd like to discuss the political ramifications and causes of 1100 dealers getting das boot, open a thread in the cave.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Funny thing on that Chrylser list...... Mickey Dodge in CR got cut, but the McGrath (formerly Pontiac)/Jeep dealer has been told they may have the option to pick up the Dodge and Chrysler lines. I can't imagine how that is fair??? Mickey Dodge has been around forever and they're going to cut them to give someone else the line? I see lots of lawsuits in Chrysler's future.

GM paid a billion to losing dealerships jetison Oldsmobile line. They will not pay for pontiac except in the courtroom.

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Ok, stupid question time. What happens to all the cars? Going-out-of-business sales?

I think I read that Chrysler would buy them back and move them to a dealer that is still in business, but don't quote me on that. I think there is a hard date where the Chrysler dealers lose their franchise.

It sounds like GM is going to try to phase out the dealers more gradually, so we will have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron