GM Axes 1100 dealers with 1300 more to come by Oct 10

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
News today said that Chrysler had no intention of buying vehicles back, meaning dealers get to sell them at auction for a nice loss.

This is correct. I was thinking of a quote that Chrysler was going to help the dealers redistrubute the inventories, but it was pretty vague on how. Chrysler will not be buying them.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
The thing with buying used is that is the logical thing to do. What worries me is if nobody is manufacturing cars anymore then that affects used cars also. Not so much now but in 5 years or so. Not good. I guess the whole world will eventually be Toyota eventually.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I still don't understand the bailout. What they have left for manufacturing in the US will be going to china/mexico anyway.

IF GM was to big to fail they should have been giving the Maa-Bell treatment years ago.

I'm starting to get mad!

Serenity now! Serenity now!

Reactions: TykeClone

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
News today said that Chrysler had no intention of buying vehicles back, meaning dealers get to sell them at auction for a nice loss.

Or sell them to dealers that are still open.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. With the used car market being the hot thing right now, you would have to assume that would be the case. Especially if they own the building they are currently in.
I personally think used car dealerships are going to eventually go the way of the dodo. It's just a matter of time before sites like craigslist on the internet take over the traditional dealership role. Avoiding the hefty tax that you get when dealing with a used car dealership is easily avoided for most folks, and a simple, cheap and easy warranty can take the place of any other benefit you might once have gotten from dealing with one.

The automotive industry is in for a much ruder awakening that has already come, IMO. And, IMO, good riddance. I despise dealing with car dealers and service centers. For too long they have had too much control over one of our basic necessities in this society - transportation.

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
The used cars for many dealers are program cars from rental companies. each of the big three owns a rental company. losing the franchise also means losing access to program cars, technician training etc. Most franchises don't make much money on new cars but on maintenance. New cars are almost a loss leader for many of them.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not a big fan of trading in my used car. You don't get near fair value on them and the dealer just turns around and sells it for more than you could get if you sold it on your own. I sold my last car on Craigslist and probably got at least $1200 more than I would have got on a trade in.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. With the used car market being the hot thing right now, you would have to assume that would be the case. Especially if they own the building they are currently in.

Used car prices are going up as people are not buying new. It may be a possibility. Used car dealers could move to a classy lot instead of the old service station.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
The thing with buying used is that is the logical thing to do. What worries me is if nobody is manufacturing cars anymore then that affects used cars also. Not so much now but in 5 years or so. Not good. I guess the whole world will eventually be Toyota eventually.

The market will balance itself out eventually. If worse comes to worst, used cars will start increasing in price to the point where the difference between a used and new car is so inconsequential that you might as well buy a new one, which will eventually push the price of used cars back down.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The market will balance itself out eventually. If worse comes to worst, used cars will start increasing in price to the point where the difference between a used and new car is so inconsequential that you might as well buy a new one, which will eventually push the price of used cars back down.

Or we'll be like Cuba and will be driving around our 200x models for the next 50 years. :wideeyed:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I personally think used car dealerships are going to eventually go the way of the dodo. It's just a matter of time before sites like craigslist on the internet take over the traditional dealership role. Avoiding the hefty tax that you get when dealing with a used car dealership is easily avoided for most folks, and a simple, cheap and easy warranty can take the place of any other benefit you might once have gotten from dealing with one.

The automotive industry is in for a much ruder awakening that has already come, IMO. And, IMO, good riddance. I despise dealing with car dealers and service centers. For too long they have had too much control over one of our basic necessities in this society - transportation.

I bought my last two vehicles on ebay. The very last one turned out to be from a place down here. It was located in one of those plane-Jane distribution centers. The place was stuffed full of cars. The agent I worked with told me that they turned hundreds of cars a month ($5000 and up) on ebay,at auctions, and by word of mouth, and made their money solely on volume. The place was very clean, but very plain, except for a few vintage cars in the waiting room to entertain the pick-up customers. The agent paid his son a few bucks to takes pictures of the cars and upload them to ebay. They had about 10 bays for doing detailing and minor service. VERY low overhead. The guy told me their business was great (that was in January). He was very pleasant and seemed to enjoy his work.

Whether those new car dealerships can convert to used-car dealerships will depend on how saturated their markets are with used cars. In my area, recently a couple of used-car places tried to startup in vacated new-car dealership lots (prime location), but neither of them made it a year. There are just so many used car dealers around here...

Last edited: