Gonzaga to join the Big 12?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Don't see what the appeal would be for them. They get the benefit of the doubt and glory that comes with it each year, for beating up on sisters of the blind and the poor in High School gyms out on the west coast. Why change now?

In addition to more money, if I'm gonzaga I'm also looking at mark few and his potential retirement, whenever that may be. Getting into a high-major conference for basketball secures their place for the long term in high-major basketball, whereas there's a definite risk that if things fall off they end up in obscurity in their current conference.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
In addition to more money, if I'm gonzaga I'm also looking at mark few and his potential retirement, whenever that may be. Getting into a high-major conference for basketball secures their place for the long term in high-major basketball, whereas there's a definite risk that if things fall off they end up in obscurity in their current conference.
Tommy Lloyd goes back or they promote Roger Powell. Either way they'll be just fine.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
New big 12 commissioner is thinking outside the box. Thank goodness we got this guy. Reminds me of when we got rid of Bruce and hired Jamie Pollard. Crap has changed for the better since then. Just new thinking

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If they wanted to add two bball only schools, could look at Nova, Creighton, Wichita State?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I wonder....if the NCAA goes away at some point, and that TV money for the tournament gets cycled back to the colleges like the football money does, instead of going to the NCAA...in that case basketball is worth more at some point down the road. Still would never be football, but would be more.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'll play devil's advocate here a bit.

I don't love the idea of ball members who don't play football. This brings back memories of the old Big East where you had a mix of football schools and ball only schools. That conference was also a hoops monster. But they struggled with unity, the football and no football schools had different priorities and visions. A big part of the B12 strength right now is unity and parity. We are all in a similar place with a similar vision.

The other angle is the Zags true long term viability. They have had a great run, bit they aren't a blue blood of the level of a KU, UK, UNC. They had a couple Cinderella runs in the early 2000s and managed to build on it. And they beat up on an awful conference each year so they are always highly ranked to keep their current top notch rep. If their schedule changes to 4+ hour flights to P5 opponents in the deepest league in the country the losses are going to come at a clip they haven't had to deal with. We have seen a lot of programs fall off after changing leagues in the last decade, could Gonzaga avoid the fall making a major step up?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I don't love the idea of ball members who don't play football. This brings back memories of the old Big East where you had a mix of football schools and ball only schools. That conference was also a hoops monster. But they struggled with unity, the football and no football schools had different priorities and visions. A big part of the B12 strength right now is unity and parity. We are all in a similar place with a similar vision.

The other angle is the Zags true long term viability. They have had a great run, bit they aren't a blue blood of the level of a KU, UK, UNC. They had a couple Cinderella runs in the early 2000s and managed to build on it. And they beat up on an awful conference each year so they are always highly ranked to keep their current top notch rep. If their schedule changes to 4+ hour flights to P5 opponents in the deepest league in the country the losses are going to come at a clip they haven't had to deal with. We have seen a lot of programs fall off after changing leagues in the last decade, could Gonzaga avoid the fall making a major step up?
this is where it’s really important how the contract would be written about it. If they want it bad enough, we will be able to force their hand and make it work for us.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yeah, that's also the counterpoint to what I was saying about why gonzaga would want to join. That risk gets moved to the big 12. If they fall off big time when Few retires, does the big 12 regret that add?

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Utah is gonna be stuck with all those Pac12 tatoos and signs plastering campus. You got arrogant, now BYU is coming our way, then Arizona, then Colorado, then we are done going west. Oregon and UW, we dont care about you, you have mistresses on the side and we all know, and you know we know, and ACC, we are taking 2, thats it, maybe 4 if you can prove yourself.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

The big difference is Gonzaga's massive basketball budget. They're already spending, recruiting and investing at a P6 level. This isn't a school making a jump up where their budget has to increase dramatically and immediately.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Yeah, that's also the counterpoint to what I was saying about why gonzaga would want to join. That risk gets moved to the big 12. If they fall off big time when Few retires, does the big 12 regret that add?
I won’t hate the decision to add them if it comes to fruition, but I really do have serious questions on what Gonzaga will be 15+ years down the road or whenever Few retires. It’s a big gamble for sure by Yormark if it happens. But I love the outside the box thinking and willingness to be creative and ability to adapt to changing times.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Gonzaga is also looking at big East.
It's going to suck for whatever conference they end up in...unless it's to stay in the WCC or join some version of the Pac whatever. They are on an island out there in Washington state. Nobody is going to want to travel there for a weeknight game, and they aren't going to want to go as far as they are gonna have to go, either.

Help Support Us

Become a patron