Good 300 level electives?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Also, this thread renews my belief that we need severe college curriculum reform.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't remember if they're 300 level or not, but Intro to World Religion and World Religion in America were two enjoyable and easy classes. I took them back to back with the same prof (Eric North?) and they were almost identical. Show up and listen and you can ace the exams. We watched The Matrix and wrote a paper on it for 2 to 3 weeks of the semester.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't remember if they're 300 level or not, but Intro to World Religion and World Religion in America were two enjoyable and easy classes. I took them back to back with the same prof (Eric North?) and they were almost identical. Show up and listen and you can ace the exams. We watched The Matrix and wrote a paper on it for 2 to 3 weeks of the semester.

Northway moved on, I think to somewhere in Idaho.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
These have to be the worst suggestions. City planning?!?! Introduction business classes?!!! Where do I sign up?

He asked for easy. Which my suggestions were. Also, regardless of what engineering majors say... it makes sense to have at least a basic understanding of business even if you think it's a crock of ****.

The city planning one was an interesting class with a great professor. I'm sorry you take things like water, garbage, electricity for granted. Or the notion that the lot next to the school is not exactly the right place for a new liquor store. Or even caring about the idea of how a city is planned so it can grow/shrink with the population instead of being a devastated wasteland on the outskirts like Detroit is.

isulifer08

Jan 5, 2016
English 335 - Studies in Film

One night a week-you watch movies and talk about them.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Son really enjoyed American Military History, Hist 389, and Rock n' Roll, Music 304. Has music listening as a prereq, but that is also easy, plus was able to use for US Diversity requirement.

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
Econ 313 (Economics of Sports) is a pretty good one.

This was one I remember wanting to take but couldn't fit in the schedule.

I took MKT 340 and it was pretty easy. Mildly informative, but most of the stuff was pretty common sense.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Northway moved on, I think to somewhere in Idaho.

A greater tragedy has never occurred. That guy was awesome. I took "Into to World Religion" in the Spring and aced it. After the final I told him I was signed up for his "World Religion in America" course over the summer. His response was "Oh boy, you're in for a treat. It's exactly the same class as this one except for maybe one or two weeks. You should have an easy summer." He did a great job being unbiased and interesting.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Took Econ 313 this spring pass/fail and wish I would've taken it straight up. Got a decent grade without studying for any of the tests and the homework was pretty simple. The final was mostly questions taken straight from the other tests. Taking History 370 with some other guys I know and I actually like it a lot. Interesting stuff and cool to see how Iowa became the way it is. Oh, and extremely easy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Music 300- History of Rock 'n' Roll

Economics of Discrimination... 321 or something... easy but super interesting, good if you have an interest in politics and policy more than hardcore mathematical or statistical economics... Also counts as a US diversity credit (it was mine, if I remember)

English 300- Science Fiction... Lot of reading but a lot of fun

Military and diplomatic history, something like History 370-380 or so

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I took a quick look at the course catalog for the fall and here are a few that I would suggest if you are into history and cultural affairs.

History 325 England 1525 to 1700 Pretty interesting time period and Professor Griffiths is a surly, and often times inappropriate instructor that is really good once you get past his quirks. Currently closed, but if you want to take it, keep an eye open over the summer as I'm sure a spot or two will open.

History 371X Mexican American history Great professor in Dr. Behnken, and a very interesting history topic especially with how politicized issues related to undocumented migrants are now and how that ties into the broader context of multi-generational and new Mexican American families and culture.

Anthro 322 People and Cultures of Native North American, although it says that Antho 201 or AmIn 210 are required as a prereq, if you have an interest, and reach out to the instructor showing interest and initiative, you may be able to get that waived.

Anthro 310G I am personally really excited about this class, as the University Museums may have a bit of a tie-in with this class, taught by one of my all time favorite instructors on campus, Jen Coppoc. It is going to look at the art and identity of certain Native American groups. Looking at a whole range of art as a component of culture. Another class that has a hefty suggested prereq list, but if you have an interest in the topic and are willing to reach out to the instructor, it may prove to be a really rewarding class.

Perhaps not in your wheel-house, but these would be my top choices if I was enrolled this fall. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers!