Good afternoon, my Iowa State friends.

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
I can't believe that it's been a year since I last stopped by your basketball forum. First off, nice win in Stillwater earlier this year. I never understood why we had your number for so many years. You've had some great teams during that long run. And the last few years...we have had Ford, so it was just a matter of time.

Last year, my guys did not need a win to get into the NCAA tournament. Which was a good thing, as playing @ISU is tough enough on any given night, but on senior night it is extra tough.

Fast forward to the OSU implosion that is this season. Despite what the talking heads say, I don't think OSU is in the NCAA tournament as of yet. I still think we need at least one more win this season, and probably some at the Big 12 tournament. It just so happens that the win we need will have to come @ISU on senior night for the second year in a row. Sonofa. Thank for nothing, scheduling folks. Where's a nice game against TCU when you need one, eh?

One thing I like about watching ISU play is the great ball movement and how many of your points come off of assists. The last I saw, you guys led the league in assists by a pretty fair amount. On the other side, we are in the bottom half in assists. In our last meeting, you had 22 assists to our 11. We have way too many isolation plays that result in high percentage (at least in Smart's mind) turnaround 3 point attempts from 25'.

I don't know what to expect this Saturday. Will Ejim go for 40+? Will our 6th straight year of having a sub-6' player who never met a three point shot he didn't like pay dividends?

You all must be very pleased with The Mayor as your coach, yes? He's had two straight solid NCAA tournament runs, and has ISU in great position for another good crack at it. It's been FIVE years since we saw the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament. Good grief.

In any case, I look forward to the game on Saturday. It just so happens that I am looking forward to it with my eyes behind my hands while squinting a bit. Good luck and go Pokes!

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Kind words, But I hope the cowboys come to hilton and get beat by 20. That being said, I think your team will be in the tournament. The committee will give you a pass on 3 of your losses since you were missing the greatest player this world has ever seen.(at least that is the way most announcers sound) And I think your team can do some damage. I wouldn't want to play your team. Even with your crappy coach.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think OSU is in even if they lose the next 2. Win 1 in the Big 12 tourney or at Hilton and you are all a lock and won't even sweat it on selection sunday.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
I think most ISU fans will have a better feeling about the OSU game after we see how the Baylor games plays out tonight. I will say that the revenge factor and OSU playing for it's life does not help ISU out one bit. I also feel like the Big XII may "do what they have to do" to get as many teams in the dance, which does not bode well for ISU either considering our last two games are BU and OSU. With that said, if we can shoot our FT well and hook up on some 3's as well as shut down Paige's clone, Forte, we have a much greater chance winning. Great win against KU, go CLONES!!!

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I think OSU is in even if they lose the next 2. Win 1 in the Big 12 tourney or at Hilton and you are all a lock and won't even sweat it on selection sunday.

Would a conference record of 8-10 get them in? That would be tough, with only 1 Big 12 tourney win.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I'm just hoping we get a chance to see the world's first tripple flop on Saturday. The double flop just isn't what it used to be.

zhb1.gif

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"Will our 6th straight year of having a sub-6' player who never met a three point shot he didn't like pay dividends?"

These sorts of things tend to happen against us. . . . but not this time!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Would a conference record of 8-10 get them in? That would be tough, with only 1 Big 12 tourney win.
I think it does. RPI would still be in the 40's and also have a strong SOS and a 20-12 record if they lose their next 2. I feel that would have them still in.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it does. RPI would still be in the 40's and also have a strong SOS and a 20-12 record if they lose their next 2. I feel that would have them still in.

As always it would probably depend on what happens in the smaller tournaments and in the last games(s) of the other guys on the bubble. If there are some favorites upset and teams who have no business getting to the dance win their tournament the bubble gets a heck of a lot tighter.

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, Brett44, I can't imagine getting in with a losing conference record. Even if the committee takes that 3 game skid without Smart into account, we lost four in a row with him. And personally, I don't think they should take that into account. Teams lose players all the time, be it to injury or stupidity. We keep hearing how no Big 12 team with a losing conference record has ever made it to the NCAA, so until it does, I won't believe it. Heck, I remember some pretty good KSU teams (Walker/Beasley) that had 20+ wins and over .500 in conference play that didn't make it. We shall see.

Good luck against Baylor. They are long and talented. If they ever truly figured it out, they would be very tough. I would make cracks about their coach, but at least he's been to two elite 8s.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Yeah, Brett44, I can't imagine getting in with a losing conference record. Even if the committee takes that 3 game skid without Smart into account, we lost four in a row with him. And personally, I don't think they should take that into account. Teams lose players all the time, be it to injury or stupidity. We keep hearing how no Big 12 team with a losing conference record has ever made it to the NCAA, so until it does, I won't believe it. Heck, I remember some pretty good KSU teams (Walker/Beasley) that had 20+ wins and over .500 in conference play that didn't make it. We shall see.

Good luck against Baylor. They are long and talented. If they ever truly figured it out, they would be very tough. I would make cracks about their coach, but at least he's been to two elite 8s.

He's never beaten a single-digit seed in those trips. I'm not calling timeout on making fun of him.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Good luck against Baylor. They are long and talented. If they ever truly figured it out, they would be very tough. Iwould make cracks about their coach, but at least he's been to two elite 8s.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.....

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
BTW, thanks for taking out K-State last night!

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I actually like OSU as far as Big XII teams go, even though I, like many on here, get annoyed with Smart's flops. I wish you the best, except when you play ISU. I think Saturday's game will be a dogfight, and am sure that we will get the Poke's best shot. BTW, I enjoyed the smack-down you gave Purple Kansas - that was enjoyable!!!

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Smart is a stud, floppy or not. I think OSU is in right now. Gonna be a tough game Saturday but we need to get out of Waco tonight with a W first.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Its possible. Minnesota and Illinois did it last year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron