Good bye Battles/Campus town liquors building

tonyfil

Aug 25, 2013
Des Moines
We were on Welch Ave last night (after the K-State game) and could not get over how many people asked us just outside of the Blue Owl/WAS where the Kum & Go was. It was very bizarre.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
I think in the end, people will like the new setup on Welch/Lincoln Way. Campus town is within a very compressed area, so there's no way to go but up.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Please lord Jesus let there be a Starbucks put in there

The Dunkin Donuts IMO is better ;)

Ames is a much better college town now than it was 20 years ago when I was a student there. I'm interested in seeing how Welch Ave looking in 2-3 years after the construction and renovations

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I once lived on the same block as a Kum & Go and a Pump & Pack...wanted to start my own convenience store called F$#@ & Save just to see if anyone would notice.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not taking the opposite side but there is NAPA, Arnold, Advance, O'Reilly, and soon to be Auto zone. So you were a little over half right.

My neighborhood of about 200k people has one O'Reilly and that's it, it's not really even in my neighborhood, but an adjacent one. I was in Ames this summer and was astounded how half of the businesses on Duff are car care related. If someone can't see the humor in it they need to get out of Ames, matress stores I get because of all the moving in and out of students...auto parts & service? I'm guessing students have a lower % of car ownership than the average adult Iowan, it's odd.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
My neighborhood of about 200k people has one O'Reilly and that's it, it's not really even in my neighborhood, but an adjacent one. I was in Ames this summer and was astounded how half of the businesses on Duff are car care related. If someone can't see the humor in it they need to get out of Ames, matress stores I get because of all the moving in and out of students...auto parts & service? I'm guessing students have a lower % of car ownership than the average adult Iowan, it's odd.

You have to realize though most students don't have the means to fix their car on their own or the ability for that matter. Also generally not worth taking home so they take it somewhere.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN

How many people in those compressed urban neighborhoods actually own a car? A lot of recent graduates that work and live in downtown Chicago can go 2-3 years w/o owning a car. Not only do you have the cost of the vehicle but the added cost of garage space.

TheEsTasTaco

Aug 22, 2014
colorado 420 lol

it's also super funny because not one auto store is near the more 'independent' apartments in west ames

at least put one service/parts store out there

thanks, city planner who is lurking this forum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron