Good First Beers

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I have a friend never had alcohol in his life who's turning 21 in about a month and I'm looking some suggestions that will help me pick something good. He's shown no great desire to drink going forward but is willing to give it a try so I want to give him something he'd enjoy. At this point I was leaning towards a wheat beer of some sort, maybe a 312 or Boulevard but I'm open to other thoughts.

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I have a friend never had alcohol in his life who's turning 21 in about a month and I'm looking some suggestions that will help me pick something good. He's shown no great desire to drink going forward but is willing to give it a try so I want to give him something he'd enjoy. At this point I was leaning towards a wheat beer of some sort, maybe a 312 or Boulevard but I'm open to other thoughts.

If he's never had alcohol, I don't think beer is the way to go. Probably something girly would be better as it doesn't have a "harsh" flavor.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
My cousin was bouncer/bar tender at BJ's back in the 90's. Took me there on my 21st - threw a shot of Hot Damn and 7 up chaser down me, then proceeded to drag me down Main Street repeating the process til we got around and back to BJ's.

It was a quick night.....

312 is a good choice. If you have breweries in the neighborhood - try some flights and see what he likes.

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
If he's never had alcohol, I don't think beer is the way to go. Probably something girly would be better as it doesn't have a "harsh" flavor.

That's next on the agenda, if he doesn't like beer I'll get him a girly drink.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
something that will make him fun. I suggest apple pie shots.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Drinking your first beer is like loosing your virginity. You want it to be a special time because you will remember it for a long time. you don't want a pro on the other end, but you don't want dumpster junk either. So I'd suggest a nice mild amber beer. Something like Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Backpocket slingshot dunkel. Or a slightly heftier less pretty girl like Michelob AmberBock. Getting your friend something like Budweiser or Bud Light is the equivalent of buying your friend a syphilis riddled 60 year old prostitute. You only do that if you really really hate your friend.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Drinking your first beer is like loosing your virginity. You want it to be a special time because you will remember it for a long time. you don't want a pro on the other end, but you don't want dumpster junk either. So I'd suggest a nice mild amber beer. Something like Sam Adams Boston Lager, or Backpocket slingshot dunkel. Or a slightly heftier less pretty girl like Michelob AmberBock. Getting your friend something like Budweiser or Bud Light is the equivalent of buying your friend a syphilis riddled 60 year old prostitute. You only do that if you really really hate your friend.

I remember my first beer better than losing my virginity.

Which is directly due to the fact that I obviously had not been drinking prior to having my first beer.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

Like having a Busch light when you are 15 at a family Christmas?

Good times, goood times.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

I can honestly say that I don't remember the first time I drank a beer, or even what it was.

But I definitely know I didn't cry afterwards or have a girl come knocking on my door 9 months later...

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Good way to make your friend not want to drink with you anymore is to get him something he's not going to like.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
You need to narrow it down to a style first. I'd say go with either an amber ale or a wheat (but not a Hefe). Both styles are pretty balanced, mild, and non-offensive.

Just keep him away from the Brazilian/South African/Russian-owned horse pi$$ lagers out there or he'll never drink beer again.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You need to narrow it down to a style first. I'd say go with either an amber ale or a wheat (but not a Hefe). Both styles are pretty balanced, mild, and non-offensive.

Just keep him away from the Brazilian/South African/Russian-owned horse pi$$ lagers out there or he'll never drink beer again.

I like the thought process here, but my first beer was a Busch Light and let's just say I drank beer again.