Good First Beers

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I also did not drink until I was 21, and went straight in for stouts and porters. I think they are in some ways a good start because the roasted malts are kind of sweet/chocolaty.

I still prefer them, plus all other ales (English especially) and over time a taste for IPA. Never got a taste for lagers or light beers.

So I would say get a mix from a good brewery (like Bell's from Michigan, Left Hand or Sierra Nevada, can get all at HyVee) and get some Pale Ale, IPA, Brown Ale, Stout, Porter and then can taste test. Then he can learn about hoppy vs malty, etc.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Shock top or a Leinenkugel would be a good choice for something that isn't harsh.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I always find it interesting when someone waits until 21 to start drinking. I always figured if you had an interest in booze, the illegality of it wouldn't stop you from trying it and on the flip side, if you weren't interested in booze, it being legal wouldn't make you interested.

Not judging or anything, it's just interesting to see the variance in human nature on these types of issues.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Shock top or a Leinenkugel would be a good choice for something that isn't harsh.
I agree with this. When I first started, the more watery the beer the better (Bud Light, Coors Light...). In my early days, Moosehead was a favorite. Maybe a fruity beer would work. If he starts with these, you can then shame him by telling him that he drinks like a girl until he starts drinking better brews.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I always find it interesting when someone waits until 21 to start drinking. I always figured if you had an interest in booze, the illegality of it wouldn't stop you from trying it and on the flip side, if you weren't interested in booze, it being legal wouldn't make you interested.

Not judging or anything, it's just interesting to see the variance in human nature on these types of issues.

He's had zero interest in alcohol but is willing to give it a try.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I think you're on the right track with Boulevard Wheat. Just make sure it's ice cold. Cold Boulevard is about as smooth/mild as you can get, IMO, and a good "gateway beer" for non beer drinkers.

I like Goose Island in general, but have always preferred Boulevard significantly over 312. YMMV.

If you find out what kind of coffee he likes, that may also give you some indication what beers he might like. If you're used to chugging dark coffee without adding anything to it hops flavor will probably be less of a shock than if you hate coffee or only drink it with tons of cream/sugar.

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids
If one of my male friends preferred "girly drinks" over beer, that would be grounds for re-thinking our friendship.

Where did I say he preferred them? I bet you didn't like beer the first time you had it. It's an acquired taste, I love beer but I sure as **** didn't when I first had it. Grew on me and now it's basically all I drink alcohol wise.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
If you find out what kind of coffee he likes, that may also give you some indication what beers he might like. If you're used to chugging dark coffee without adding anything to it hops flavor will probably be less of a shock than if you hate coffee or only drink it with tons of cream/sugar.

That's an interesting thought. I drank good, hoppy beer long before I became a coffee drinker. I guess it's no surprise that I like my coffee black with no sugar or cream added.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Like having a Busch light when you are 15 at a family Christmas?

Good times, goood times.

Bush light was also my first beer…in the hall bathroom after I stole it from my dad's case in the garage…good times, good times

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Where did I say he preferred them? I bet you didn't like beer the first time you had it. It's an acquired taste, I love beer but I sure as **** didn't when I first had it. Grew on me and now it's basically all I drink alcohol wise.

LOL, you sound like a real *****.

Cychedelia

Aug 26, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Anyways back to the conversation, I agree with others if you really want to get him a beer for his first drink, find out if he likes coffee, if he does he will probably like darker beers. If not, stay away from the darker beers. I also agree with the Wheat comments, those are easy to drink and also delicious, but some people really hate them. Dinkey Wheat (from Ames) is actually a pretty good wheat beer.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

For you...

20130220mamosistory.jpg

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
He's had zero interest in alcohol but is willing to give it a try.

What's his taste in other stuff?

I think the guys bringing up the coffee/hoppy beer thing have an interesting and valid point. My interest in coffee and hoppy beer started about the same time. I also drink my coffee straight.

Pleasanthillclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I don't know your 20, but if you have a good local brew pub, take him in and buy him a sampler. It will open his eyes to the broad and wonderful variety of drink we call beer. In the Des Moines area, Confluence, Rockbottom and 515 are good picks. If no local brewery, set up a sampler flight of styles, ales and lagers. Drinking yellow **** is not the way to start ones introduction to the wonderful world of beer and fine crafted distilled beverages IMHO

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I don't know your 20, but if you have a good local brew pub, take him in and buy him a sampler. It will open his eyes to the broad and wonderful variety of drink we call beer. In the Des Moines area, Confluence, Rockbottom and 515 are good picks. If no local brewery, set up a sampler flight of styles, ales and lagers. Drinking yellow **** is not the way to start ones introduction to the wonderful world of beer and fine crafted distilled beverages IMHO

That's actually a great idea...go to a brewpub and get a couple flights! Seconded.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I'm 33 yo I generally don't remember things from when I was 10 anymore. However I do know that the reason my buddy and I grabbed a couple cans out of his old mans fridge is because we were watching Bloodsport and Ogre from ROTN comes out as Ray Jackson and we wanted to be just like that guy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron