Good Lord

explorer

Apr 16, 2006
Marion, IA
I've posted a lot in this thread and haven't mentioned cartoons. Bottom line, none of today's cartoons can touch the oldies but goodies. All of the Bugs Bunny and associated cartoons are the best, three hours of that on Sat. mornings, they need to bring that back. I also love Scooby Doo. You can also throw in Inch High Private Eye, Hong Kong Fuey, Laugh O'lympics, and Scooter and the Chopper Bunch for those of you that may remember them!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Does anyone remember the cartoon with the "All-Stars"? I think it was Gretzky, Bo Jackson, and Michael Jordan - there might have been some others in it. Wow, what a crap show that was - I think I was in about 6th grade when it was on, and knew that it was awful.

I'm going to guess that a majority of the members of this board didn't watch a lot of "Jem"... Someone else has to have loved "Alvin & The Chipmunks", though - I remember an episode about the Berlin Wall coming down where they did a very moving tribute song... :rolleyes5cz:

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Does anyone remember the cartoon with the "All-Stars"? I think it was Gretzky, Bo Jackson, and Michael Jordan - there might have been some others in it. Wow, what a crap show that was - I think I was in about 6th grade when it was on, and knew that it was awful.

I'm going to guess that a majority of the members of this board didn't watch a lot of "Jem"... Someone else has to have loved "Alvin & The Chipmunks", though - I remember an episode about the Berlin Wall coming down where they did a very moving tribute song... :rolleyes5cz:

Come on Angie, Pro Stars rocked!!! I remember for like a month or two I looked forward to it every weekend, then I too figured out that it was kind of weird seeing sports heroes rescuing people with their magical abilities to jump high or smack a puck.

PS- Now I'm going to have The Chipmunks stuck in my head all night..."Alvin, Simon, and Theodore...Doo, doo, do do do dooo......Doo, doo do do do dooo!" Every year the Chipmunks Christmas song is a Christmas classic to play at our house as well. And who could forget the melodious voices of their counterparts, Britney and the Chippettes! Wow, talk about a stroll down memory lane :yes4lo:

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
OOO EEE O AH AH Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang- I love the witch docter. Alvin and the Chipmunks rocked, but He-Man brought it Thundercats were it, but the Heroes in the Half Shell kick some righteous tail, that shredder couldn't stand a chance! TMNT 4-life

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I never really watched alot of cartoons, but I do remember Thundercats and Transformers being pretty cool... The only time really got to watch alot of TV is when I was sick and those days all I wanted to see is the Price is Right, COME ON DOWN!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Every year the Chipmunks Christmas song is a Christmas classic to play at our house as well.

Why wait for Christmas? Every time the husband has been playing XBox for too long, I play "Christmas Don't Be Late" over and over again until he succumbs to my emotional terrorism. :yes4lo:

(This may not be your average household...)

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Why wait for Christmas? Every time the husband has been playing XBox for too long, I play "Christmas Don't Be Late" over and over again until he succumbs to my emotional terrorism. :yes4lo:

(This may not be your average household...)

Whenever my girlfriend tells me I've been playing videogames for too long, I just reply that I've added up all the time she's made me wait for her to get ready, divided by 6, and I'm still not halfway to the same amount of time playing.

....Then I get hit, and she unplugs it.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
cycloneworld said:
Because our country was founded based on religious principles. It's unnecessary to "know where you came from"?? That's the problem nowadays, people ARE forgetting.
As has been said before, Christianity is what the country was founded on...

I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you say "founded on." If you are just saying that most of the founding father's were Christian then I agree with you. I don't think this justifies putting under God on a bunch of stuff, but we may simply disagree on that. If you mean that the Christian religion was somehow a core part of our government then I would disagree with you. If everyone suddenly converted to something else our government would function just fine. Contrast that with Iran, where the government really is founded on a religion. If everyone converted it would require a political revolution.

...and separation of church and state does not mean that there can't be any religion involved in government, but rather no government interference with religion. If somebody wants to be Muslim, they're free to be Muslim. If Hindu is their thing, let them be Hindu. But the major religion in America is Christianity.
I agree with the idea that there cannot be government interference in religion. I probably also disagree in part though. There has been a lot of separation of church and state talk so I figure someone should post the actual part of the constitution being discussed.
The First Amendment of the Constitution said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
Everyone pretty much agrees that the second part of the Amendment means that the government cannot interfere with religion, which was the view you expressed. The first part, usually referred to as the establishment clause, is much more contentious. Some contend that it only prohibits the government from establishing an official state religion. Others would argue that it requires that the government not give any official preference to one religion over another. I find myself in the later camp. As there are religions that do not recognize a god, putting "under God" on stuff is giving preference to one religion over another.

If I went to India, I wouldn't be up in arms that everybody talks about Hinduism, and I wouldn't flip out that Ghandi is on the currency there either. That's the major religion of their country, so it's their privilege to celebrate it.
What would your opinion be if you were a native Indian who converted to Christianity, and as part of your children's education they regularly recited a pledge saying "one nation, under Shiva?" If you truly would not care then there is just a fundamental difference between us on this issue.

In the same way, do you think that we should not have any writing on our currency either since it's written in English and not everybody in America considers themselves "English"? I know a lot of people have compared the civil rights movement to the gay rights movement, and to point out the insanity of that, do you think that black people are offended that we have guys like George Washington and Abe Lincoln on our currency since not everybody in America is white? Just a couple things I was thinking about. Not trying to be a jerk and preach at anybody, but that's how I see it.
The short answer is no, but I don't think your examples are analogous to the "under God" situation. As far as the english part, some language has to be used, and english is the most prevalent. By contrast, there does not have to be anything on our money involving God. The use of english also does not imply that other languages are inferior. A more analogous situation would be a little caption on our money that says "Our language is the best."

The presence of dead presidents on our money also does not imply anything about black people. It is more difficult to think of a really analogous situtation, but perhaps if our money said "Founded by great white people." The "white" part is unnecessary and would imply that whites are somehow superior.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I'
What would your opinion be if you were a native Indian who converted to Christianity, and as part of your children's education they regularly recited a pledge saying "one nation, under Shiva?" If you truly would not care then there is just a fundamental difference between us on this issue.

If my children were free to not recite the part of the pledge that says "under Shiva" (like children in the US are free to not say "under God"), then I wouldn't have a problem with it. As a Christian I would obviously prefer to have my children reciting their pledge with "under God", so in this situation if it was a huge deal to me, I would go to a place that embraced the same beliefs rather than try to get the national pledge changed to take out "under Shiva". I think you have to choose your battles. If my kids were forced to bow down to something then I would be up in arms, but if its just something that all the other kids are doing at school and my child isn't forced to participate then it's not my place to say what they can do there. If I really don't like it, I find a place that I agree with what they're doing. In the US, nobody is forcing anybody to worship something they don't want to, nor are they making anybody convert to Christianity. Rather we have some small references to the majority religion on our currency and in our pledge. Even though I am a part of that Christian majority, I don't see how this can possibly be offensive to the degree that people are that dead set on getting them removed.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm not sure what exactly you mean when you say "founded on." If you are just saying that most of the founding father's were Christian then I agree with you. I don't think this justifies putting under God on a bunch of stuff, but we may simply disagree on that. If you mean that the Christian religion was somehow a core part of our government then I would disagree with you.

Go through and read some of the biographies of the men who founded our country. Read the Declaration of Independence. Then come back and tell me that these Christan men could somehow separate all of their own personal beliefs from what they were doing. It's simply revisionist history to suggest that Christianity isn't completely woven through the fabric of our foundation.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I could see where this thread was headed days ago...

Actually, unless you said that everyone would agree with me, I'd say you didn't..... :laugh8kb:

Anyway, at least no one has made any personal attacks, it's been civil, and somehow, got up to 350+ posts without getting locked. I'm actually quite surprised.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I was a big fan of many of the cartoons already mentioned (I was a cartoon junkie when I was little). Just a couple I haven't seen mentioned yet: Fragglerock, Denver the Last Dinosaur, The Flinstones, Garfield and Friends.

I loved so many of them! Whoever mentioned Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers....thank you for getting that theme stuck in my head all last night and this morning so far. :wink0st: Cha Cha Cha Chip and Dale....Rescue Rangers.:yes4lo:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I was a big fan of many of the cartoons already mentioned (I was a cartoon junkie when I was little). Just a couple I haven't seen mentioned yet: Fragglerock, Denver the Last Dinosaur, The Flinstones, Garfield and Friends.

I loved so many of them! Whoever mentioned Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers....thank you for getting that theme stuck in my head all last night and this morning so far. :wink0st: Cha Cha Cha Chip and Dale....Rescue Rangers.:yes4lo:

My freshman year of college, me and my roommate made a CD compiled completely of TV Theme Songs. Some highlights: Tail-Spin, Rescue Rangers, The Flinstones, Cheers, Mighty Mouse, and Dukes of Hazzard.....

Now I need to listen to that again.

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
You're Chuck Norris, therefore that is in no way surprising. Intimidating maybe though :wink0st:

great...a chuck norris reference, meaning this thread is going down the drain fast. :rolleyes5cz:

as far as cartoons go, how about any cartoon with a duck in it(duck tales, darkwing duck), tale-spin, captain planet(earth, wind, fire, water, etc, etc).

on a sidenote, did anyone else's parents forbid them from watching pee-wee's playhouse? mine did and I remember being upset at them cause all my friends watched it and i couldnt. but today, im thankful my parents didnt let me. what a horrible show. a couple friends of mine were talking the other day about this and we decided how bad it was that parents would let their kids watch that garbage.

cartoons ftw!:yes4lo:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
My parents wouldn't let me watch Pee-Wee after his movie theatre "incident" and never allowed me to watch The Simpsons. I think that latter one scarred me for life.