Good riddance Starbucks

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I've never liked Starbucks, but Caribou is pretty awesome. They have a promo on Mondays for a Med. coffee for $1. Not bad, especially if you drink it in-store, then get a free refill.

But any expensive coffee is a treat for me. Usually, I just buy whole beans from Costco and make it at home.

Wingback

Dec 26, 2008
I absolutely love lattes and cappuccino and I have to say, at this point anyway, McDonalds quality on both are up-and-down, at best. I travel a fair amount for business and I have stopped at McDonalds locations in and around St. Louis and have been impressed (they installed their McCafes down there months before we saw them up here). Since that time, I have stopped at both Ames and Story City on more than one occasion and can honestly say I have not been impressed. That kind of puzzles me, as McDonalds is all about "systems" so you would think if the St. Louis locations get it right, those in central Iowa should get it right, too.

When it comes to coffee, I'll normally just go to a Kum and Go. If I want a good latte or cappuccino, I'm probably still going to go to Starbucks (unless it is Saturday or Sunday morning...then I'm making my own at home).

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I can't drink undoctored coffee though still.

Same here, as my wife says "You want some coffee with your sugar" I guess I like it a little on the sweet side.

I cold brew my coffee in my Toddy (link), so I keep a jug of coffee concentrate in the fridge so I can quickly make a hot or cold coffee drink. Cold brewed coffee is also less acidic, so that's a positive to me, besides the easy factor of it.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
I've gotten the McCafe a few times and it's just been okay, nothing spectacular. When I go to Starbucks, I usually just get a nonfact chai because that's the only thing I can order without looking like a complete idiot.

I started drinking coffee after we had our kids and I needed something to help me function after waking up multiple times per night. We have a timer on our coffeemaker and just fill it every night before we go to bed. I've found the type of coffee makes a difference in how good or bad it tastes and I've found a few different ones at Target (their Archer Farms brand) that we seem to like best.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I prefer the coffee from Taco Bueno. They put one close to me and sometimes I'll swing by in the morning just for a cup of black coffee.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I absolutely love lattes and cappuccino and I have to say, at this point anyway, McDonalds quality on both are up-and-down, at best. I travel a fair amount for business and I have stopped at McDonalds locations in and around St. Louis and have been impressed (they installed their McCafes down there months before we saw them up here). Since that time, I have stopped at both Ames and Story City on more than one occasion and can honestly say I have not been impressed. That kind of puzzles me, as McDonalds is all about "systems" so you would think if the St. Louis locations get it right, those in central Iowa should get it right, too.

When it comes to coffee, I'll normally just go to a Kum and Go. If I want a good latte or cappuccino, I'm probably still going to go to Starbucks (unless it is Saturday or Sunday morning...then I'm making my own at home).

Yeah, I agree with you there. I drink all kinds of coffee, from straight black coffee to the "fluffy" lattes and cappucinos. I think McDonald's has good regular coffee, but I have not been at all impressed with their lattes.

Like someone else said....."to each his own." My plan to jumpstart this economy is with buying one $4 coffee drink at a time!

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
For an economical yet good tasting cup of coffee, I suggest finding a local roaster and grinding your own beans. Freshly roasted beans provided for a satisfying cup of coffee and a pound of beans will only cost about $8. You can get several pots of coffee out of that pound. Also, only grind as much as you need and store your beans in a dark, dry, cool place but not the refrigerator or freezer. I believe Burgie's is the only local roaster in Ames.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
For an economical yet good tasting cup of coffee, I suggest finding a local roaster and grinding your own beans. Freshly roasted beans provided for a satisfying cup of coffee and a pound of beans will only cost about $8. You can get several pots of coffee out of that pound. Also, only grind as much as you need and store your beans in a dark, dry, cool place but not the refrigerator or freezer. I believe Burgie's is the only local roaster in Ames.

Absolutely! I live in the Twin Cities and really like going to Dunn Brothers. Apparently one is opening in Ankeny soon. They roast their beans right inside the store.....the aroma is unbelievable.

Dunn Bros Coffee - Locations

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
I have Dunkin Doughnuts coffee and Caribou coffee that I make every morning at my house. Just as good as going to the coffee shop....

Cyphor

Aug 9, 2006
I saw a taste test on FOX Saturday Morning Show and the coffee's tested were Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, McDs and another I can't remember. I think 3 of the 5 chose Dunkin Donuts and the other 2 McDs. Not good news for Starbucks considering that is what they do.

Isn't that the same as testing three stool samples?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN

If you really want to go economical and get the freshest possible roasted beans, roast them yourself. It's way easier than you think and you can get a pound of unroasted "green" beans for under $5.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
My Mr. Coffee maker with the automatic timer that I load with Folgers before I go to bed is ready for me in the morning and is all I need.

Ditto. c.$7 for a hugh container of Folger's that will last weeks. In fact, I sometimes microwave the leftover coffee in the afternoon when I come home from work.

That sugar-amped crap from all the places you all are talking about...what a waste of money.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I saw a taste test on FOX Saturday Morning Show and the coffee's tested were Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, McDs and another I can't remember. I think 3 of the 5 chose Dunkin Donuts and the other 2 McDs. Not good news for Starbucks considering that is what they do.

I have to be honest here. This is NOT a quality post. We are talking about 5 people here. Hardly a substantial sample group. You don't even remember who chose what.

I personally like Starbucks, but I have to admit, I have never tried McDs. Probably because I haven't set foot in a fast food restaurant in 6 years.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
I have to be honest here. This is NOT a quality post. We are talking about 5 people here. Hardly a substantial sample group. You don't even remember who chose what....

According to "cave rules" if it was on Fox, it must be true :jimlad:

Last edited:

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006

I would suggest using a french press. A Coffee Toddy also make the some of the best coffee I have ever tasted...and it only costs $25.

The new McD's coffee is better....but compared to the old stuff, it would have been hard to make it worse

Having (unfortunately) lived in Ia City for a number of years, one of the few redeeming things there is the Java House...they make tremendous cup of coffee. I also like Peet's a lot....

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
Smokey Row makes a fine cup o' coffee. Plus they're a local establishment so it's nice to support the locals.

When I venture to the south side of Des Moines, Cup O' Kryptonite is a good place to go.

F Starbucks

CB21

Mar 13, 2009
Sioux Falls
Ditto. c.$7 for a hugh container of Folger's that will last weeks. In fact, I sometimes microwave the leftover coffee in the afternoon when I come home from work.

That sugar-amped crap from all the places you all are talking about...what a waste of money.

True. But that sugar-amped is quite tasty I would say.. except I'm sleeping within the next few hours crashing from it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron