200w.webp

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I bet pretty much every conference message board looked like this when we hired Hoiberg.
Gottlieb bounced around a ton in Europe for like 2 years.
Fred had a decade in the NBA and was forced to retire. He then worked in a front office.

I know you know all this but I don't think it's the same at all.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Gottlieb bounced around a ton in Europe for like 2 years.
Fred had a decade in the NBA and was forced to retire. He then worked in a front office.

I know you know all this but I don't think it's the same at all.

I realize it isn't apples to apples, but the guy knows the game, and we got an awful lot of flack for hiring a guy with zero coaching experience. And that worked out well.

My point is that celebrating this as a guarantee that OSU stays in the cellar is premature and a little hypocritical, when a similar, but admittedly not identical scenario benefited us.

• Agree
Reactions: LindenCy

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The OSU AD must feel pretty secure with his job to throw Dougie's name in the ring.

Reactions: drlove

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This would be the start of a return to the glory days of a group of coaches I have missed for a while. It is hard to hate any Big XII coaches today, not like we used to hate some of the Big 8 coaches:

Norm
Dickey
Billy Tubbs
Quinn Snyder
Ricardo Patton
Dave Bliss

The coaches today aren't near the characters these guys were (Weber could be if we didn't own them and Huggins just doesn't have the floor show or character flaws the above guys had)

I could see Cyclone alley coming up with a new version of 'Sit Down Norm' for Dougie boy.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This would be the start of a return to the glory days of a group of coaches I have missed for a while. It is hard to hate any Big XII coaches today, not like we used to hate some of the Big 8 coaches:

Norm
Dickey
Billy Tubbs
Quinn Snyder
Ricardo Patton
Dave Bliss

The coaches today aren't near the characters these guys were (Weber could be if he they we didn't own them and Huggins just doesn't have the floor show or character flaws the above guys had)

I could see Cyclone alley coming up with a new version of 'Sit Down Norm' for Dougie boy.
Someone is not pleased about being excluded from your list...
77353719-eddie-sutton-head-coach-of-oklahoma-st-shows-gettyimages.jpg

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
To ISU fans it's clear Hoiberg was better suited for success. To outsiders it probably looks pretty similar.

We're outsiders this time, and even though my guess is it'll be more like Mullins, I could see it working. He's a son of a coach, knows basketball, and may be a much better recruiter than Fred.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
People can hate all they want, but if Prohm left tomorrow, and Pollard hired Niang as our next head coach, I wouldn't be mad. (Gottlieb is nowhere near Niangs level I know)

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Hilarious and people comparing it to Hoiberg is even more hilarious get a ******* clue, Hoiberg succeeded at the next level playing and managing. Gottlieb zilch. Hope it works out for em, but who gives a rip.