Gottlieb to Interview for Okie Lite Job

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Welp, we'll see what it's like for him to be scrutinized.
tumblr_mc9bnjrZIw1qam5vs.gif

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Oh I just can't see this going well. Does he have a lick of coaching experience? Like any? Did he run his kids AAU practices or anything?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I just don't get why people think this will be successful. He isn't even a good commentator. What makes people think he is going to be a good coach.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Oh I just can't see this going well. Does he have a lick of coaching experience? Like any? Did he run his kids AAU practices or anything?
Yes, and his brother is a longtime PAC 12 assistant. I think his dad was a coach too

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
His brother is really well thought of and obviously he'll be on staff. He needs to get an assistant with Texas ties and he'll sell the program like crazy.

I actually think he'll do just fine down there. They needed buzz to get butts in seats and he should do that for the first couple of years regardless of results, kind of like The Mayor in Ames.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Obviously I'm in the minority here, but I think he'll do well if he's named.

1. A damn good college PG. Yes...I know he couldn't shoot, but he saw the floor very, very well. He knows the game.
2. Coaching family. While he has no known experience, especially at this level, he grew up a coach's son, and was very close to his dad, plus his brother is a highly regarded coach. It's in his blood.
3. Connected. He is very well connected on the AAU scene
4. Pompous ass. This was mentioned earlier, and with a negative connotation. Why is that? Look at most (really successful) college basketball coaches. Most are pompous asses. Calipari is Exhibit A, and there are plenty more. Prohm is the exception, not the rule.

Anyway...just some reasons as to why I think he could/would be successful, as opposed to listing a bunch of old crap he pulled in the past that people hate (i.e. credit cards, backward shorts, mouthing off to Fizer, etc), but really mean nothing in regard to determining whether he would be successful as a coach or not.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
His brother is really well thought of and obviously he'll be on staff. He needs to get an assistant with Texas ties and he'll sell the program like crazy.

I actually think he'll do just fine down there. They needed buzz to get butts in seats and he should do that for the first couple of years regardless of results, kind of like The Mayor in Ames.

Now that would have been a great hire. He spent a lot of time in Texas and Oklahoma.

buzz010714.jpg

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Branch West Basketball Academy was founded by his old man. Doug has had involvement in that program, and therefore the scene, for 30+ years.
Yep.

He grew up in CBB. Dad and brother are coaches. He coached while sitting out in college which is more experience than Fred had. He's developed a large network and a brand name while being an analyst. Instant buzz and support at Ok St. He has a chance