Greetings from Chicago

9104Griffith

Jul 31, 2010
Chicago
I’ve been watching this site for many years but have decided it’s time to finally join. I initially found this site while searching for tidbits on recruits but have enjoyed coming here for info/reassurance/shared paranoia during the inevitable valleys of the roller coaster ride of being a Cyclone fan. As always, I’m cautious but optimistic we’re heading for another peak and can only hope this one lasts for a few decades.

Born & raised in Burlington, I became a Cyclone fan in 1977 when the ISU-UI rivalry reignited because of Rick White who had walked on and was starting in that game (and eventually made all Big 8). Growing up in SE IA made it tough to be a Clone fan, but one of my fondest memories was sitting in the back of a B-town bar in Dec ’87 on holiday break and shouting LAFESTER RHODES at the top of my lungs as he handled the Hawks. Awesome game! Unfortunately the main highlights during my time in Ames came from B-ball and Wrestling and Football was only a reason to have some memorable tailgate parties. Fortunately Dan Mac was able to breathe some life into ISU Football and I can’t wait for CPR to make us all even more Proud to be a Cyclone.

I would be remiss if I didn’t take this time to congratulate Chris Williams/Jeremy and the rest of the CycloneFanatic team for running one of the best forums I visit. Hopefully a few compliments will me move me up the list for when the coupons are eventually distributed.

GO CYCLONES!

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I’ve been watching this site for many years but have decided it’s time to finally join. I initially found this site while searching for tidbits on recruits but have enjoyed coming here for info/reassurance/shared paranoia during the inevitable valleys of the roller coaster ride of being a Cyclone fan. As always, I’m cautious but optimistic we’re heading for another peak and can only hope this one lasts for a few decades.

Born & raised in Burlington, I became a Cyclone fan in 1977 when the ISU-UI rivalry reignited because of Rick White who had walked on and was starting in that game (and eventually made all Big 8). Growing up in SE IA made it tough to be a Clone fan, but one of my fondest memories was sitting in the back of a B-town bar in Dec ’87 on holiday break and shouting LAFESTER RHODES at the top of my lungs as he handled the Hawks. Awesome game! Unfortunately the main highlights during my time in Ames came from B-ball and Wrestling and Football was only a reason to have some memorable tailgate parties. Fortunately Dan Mac was able to breathe some life into ISU Football and I can’t wait for CPR to make us all even more Proud to be a Cyclone.

I would be remiss if I didn’t take this time to congratulate Chris Williams/Jeremy and the rest of the CycloneFanatic team for running one of the best forums I visit. Hopefully a few compliments will me move me up the list for when the coupons are eventually distributed.

GO CYCLONES!

I was at Ames at the same time you were. Yes, some very fond Basketball memories. Walden before he imploded at least had a good sense of humor which meshed well with Johnny Orr.

Growing up in Eastern Iowa I was never exposed to ISU(never saw a game over there when Barry Stevens played.:sad:)

Oh well, I've made up for lost time since then.:wink:

9104Griffith

Jul 31, 2010
Chicago
I was at Ames at the same time you were. Yes, some very fond Basketball memories. Walden before he imploded at least had a good sense of humor which meshed well with Johnny Orr.

Growing up in Eastern Iowa I was never exposed to ISU(never saw a game over there when Barry Stevens played.:sad:)

Oh well, I've made up for lost time since then.:wink:

Now that you mention it, there were a few fond memories from the Walden era. The Bartles & James poster with him & Johnny. The successful onside kick that helped salvage a win over UNI after I had suffered through a horrendous game with a buddy from UNI who was making lots of enemies in the stands. But my favorite would have to be the fall after I graduated and was living in Houston. We trekked over to N'Awlins to watch ISU play Tulane in the Super Dome. After way too many Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens we went to the game and were yelling for Walden to go for 2 & the win instead of kicking for the tie. We were fired up when we saw the offense trotting onto the field and went absolutely crazy when they scored. He at least enjoyed trying the crazy plays.