Hakeem Butler 1st round

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
There is an article on cbssports that has 5 under the radar prospects with first round potential and Butler is one of them. I can’t find the article on the website but it popped up a few minutes ago as a notification for the app. I’m assuming it’s a article just on the app for right now or else I would link the article. It says at 6-6 220 with serious down down the field potential, Butler should break out this season and be on every NFL teams radar now that Allen Lazard is gone. The guy also says he has no clue how Lazard went undrafted after an illustrious career and strong combine.

Edit. Velo found the article.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...rospects-who-could-rise-into-the-first-round/

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
With Lazard going undrafted, I have a very, very hard time seeing a Cyclone go in the first round.

That was a straight up shot at our program. If Lazard has the exact same career at a "name" school he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
We can dream can't we? It would be nice to break the drought with a first rounder.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
With Lazard going undrafted, I have a very, very hard time seeing a Cyclone go in the first round.

That was a straight up shot at our program. If Lazard has the exact same career at a "name" school he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Jerry Rice was a first-round pick by the 49ers (they actually traded up to get him, as they felt the Cowboys were after him, too) while playing at a Division 3 school, and recording a 40 time of 4.71. Scouts back then were beating the bushes for talent at most every school that fielded a team.

There must have been something working against Lazard in scouts' minds.....I don't know what else would explain their lack of interest. Drops were mentioned, as was his 40 time - but I just hope the Jaguars give him a chance, and he makes the most of it.

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
Two first round draft picks would be a hell of a way to break the drought. Would be a huge feather in Campbell's cap for recruiting skill positions as well.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Given ISU record of having guys taken round one, I think the phrase "believe it when I see it "applies here

• Winner
Reactions: Cydkar

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

Yeah, no. Players from FCS schools are drafted in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd round every year. Lazard wasn't drafted because scouts saw something they didn't like, not because they "have it out for our program".

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

Especially given the way teams have "devalued" high picks on some skill positions. Sure, when a Barkley is available, they jump on them, but otherwise, it seems the consensus leans towards, draft lineman and LBs first and get receivers and backs later.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Lazard not getting drafted had to do with one thing. His agent didn't know how to sell him. Some scouts had him as a WR others a TE. His agent dropped the ball and wasn't able to convince a team to take him. Then when he slid past the round people had him rated for, I am sure the teams thought someone knew something they didn't so they weren't going to take a chance on him.

To the OP, this would be cool. It would also mean that Butler has a huge year which would be awesome.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Lazard not getting drafted had to do with one thing. His agent didn't know how to sell him. Some scouts had him as a WR others a TE. His agent dropped the ball and wasn't able to convince a team to take him. Then when he slid past the round people had him rated for, I am sure the teams thought someone knew something they didn't so they weren't going to take a chance on him.

To the OP, this would be cool. It would also mean that Butler has a huge year which would be awesome.

Yeah, the biggest death knell to getting drafted (both NFL and NBA) is being a tweener position-wise. Most teams have no desire to change their scheme to fit the talent of an individual player. You gotta have the measurable for your position to get drafted. From the OTC reports, Jax still has no idea how to use Lazard.

Butler at least doesn't have the "potential TE" tag hanging over him, but I really doubt he gets drafted on Day 1 or Day 2. He has better speed than Lazard and is taller. But no matter what he does this year, he's not going to be near the college WR that Lazard was. Doesn't matter to the NFL though.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Couldn’t disagree more. Scouts like plenty of dudes from non traditional schools all the time.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Yeah, the biggest death knell to getting drafted (both NFL and NBA) is being a tweener position-wise. Most teams have no desire to change their scheme to fit the talent of an individual player. You gotta have the measurable for your position to get drafted. From the OTC reports, Jax still has no idea how to use Lazard.

Butler at least doesn't have the "potential TE" tag hanging over him, but I really doubt he gets drafted on Day 1 or Day 2. He has better speed than Lazard and is taller. But no matter what he does this year, he's not going to be near the college WR that Lazard was. Doesn't matter to the NFL though.
Yeahhh I wouldn't be so sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and CYGolfer39

leschmick1785

Jul 12, 2013

I'm not sure I would include the NBA anymore with the whole transition to position-less basketball. But that's me splitting hairs