Haliburton on TNT/HBO Max now, Quarter Finals Mid season tournament

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
To be fair, Indiana's defense has been suspect all season, scoring 140 but easily giving up nearly as much to far less talented offensive teams but they won this game with salty defense in the end.

Indiana scores so fast and so often the other team is going to probably score a lot as well. They play tough defense in strategic spurts.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Indiana scores so fast and so often the other team is going to probably score a lot as well. They play tough defense in strategic spurts.
True, but they also play some pretty bad defense at times. There are poor rotations or none at all, poor closeouts and poor footwork. I'm not trying to bash them, but if they were able to improve defensively even 10% they would be a force on the season as a whole.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
True, but they also play some pretty bad defense at times. There are poor rotations or none at all, poor closeouts and poor footwork. I'm not trying to bash them, but if they were able to improve defensively even 10% they would be a force on the season as a whole.

They need to be a situationally decent defensive team and I think they did that last night. There were 4-5 key possessions in crunch time where they turned Boston over or forced really bad shots. Other games they haven't done that and it can really get away from them since the opponent gets dragged up to their pace. No team is winning a playoff series without developing that ability to have some lock down possessions late.

If you look at their win/loss record though the biggest thing is just Haliburton playing or not. They might not even have a 10% win percentage in the games he's out since he got there. They wouldn't even be in the playoff hunt with almost any other point guard.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They need to be a situationally decent defensive team and I think they did that last night. There were 4-5 key possessions in crunch time where they turned Boston over or forced really bad shots. Other games they haven't done that and it can really get away from them since the opponent gets dragged up to their pace. No team is winning a playoff series without developing that ability to have some lock down possessions late.

If you look at their win/loss record though the biggest thing is just Haliburton playing or not. They might not even have a 10% win percentage in the games he's out since he got there. They wouldn't even be in the playoff hunt with almost any other point guard.
Exactly. They don't have to be the 03-04 Pistons, they just have to put up a little more consistent resistance and their breakneck offense will carry them to a lot of wins.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This article sort of paints how Tyrese got here, and the future:

Tyrese Haliburton is melding the past and present of point guard play to emerge as a new kind of NBA superstar.

I've always thought there was something retro about the way he runs an offense.

He's kind of like a skinny Magic running the break and setting up teammates but hunts his 3 pt shot more like modern star guards. His moves to the basket and general physique are more long, extended and graceful like maybe George Gervin than modern players.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Just a heads up they’re in the finals tonight against the Lakers at 7:30 on ABC. Not too many opportunities to see Hali unless you have league pass.

Reactions: HFCS

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Tyrese will be mic'd up tonight. Along with LeBron.

So cool.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I honestly don’t remember this last time I was anticipating an NBA game more.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is like a cheat code for pacers to accumulate a year of playoff exp. It helps a lot regardless of result.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It seems as though ESPN is finally figuring out that Tyrese is going to be a big draw for them.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I made fun of the in season tournament when it was announced but here I am tuned in on a Saturday night. Don’t think I’d be watching with no Haliburton but still counts

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I made fun of the in season tournament when it was announced but here I am tuned in on a Saturday night. Don’t think I’d be watching with no Haliburton but still counts

Seeing the players really care and put out maximum effort has made this a huge success. On the other hand though, it really magnifies the lack of effort on the non-tournament games.

82 games is too many.