Harold Nichols Open

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Downey did not step on the mat against the NE backup. Downey was aggressive in his two matches but must have irritated something to warrant pulling him out. Colbray is really the only wrestler I'm scratching my head about. Looked totally un-interested with lackluster effort. I know coaches had high hopes for him this season so they must see something in practice that he did not show today. There is no way Simmons is not the new 125 pounder. He's going to be fun to watch. The other thing I was pleased with was most of the guys were in better shape especially the ones that cut extra weight.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka and buf87

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Downey did not step on the mat against the NE backup. Downey was aggressive in his two matches but must have irritated something to warrant pulling him out. Colbray is really the only wrestler I'm scratching my head about. Looked totally un-interested with lackluster effort. I know coaches had high hopes for him this season so they must see something in practice that he did not show today. There is no way Simmons is not the new 125 pounder. He's going to be fun to watch. The other thing I was pleased with was most of the guys were in better shape especially the ones that cut extra weight.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to hear my source was wrong.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
,mmyti999
Earl losing to the #4 guy in the country in his first competition back isn't exactly cause for concern IMO.

And Weatherspoon deserves credit for his win over Bernstein, as well. Bernstein was R12 last year (Medically forfeited his R12 match to Epperly) and is currently ranked 11th by Intermat. That was a good win. And given Kocer's other wins that loss isn't looking bad anymore. Weatherspoon is probably ranked about right at 10 or so right now.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The team looked good overall with exception of Colbray. Simmons & Dane both had energy after dealing with the cuts.

Was told by Dane's mom that Dane hasn't weighed 165 since 7th grade. Very proud parents & they should be!

Reactions: cyclonenation5

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
OK, this weekend was a tad better IMO:

125 - Simmons?? I'm honestly surprised that both Simmons (3rd) & Vega (5th) beat Larson (DNP) as bad as they did. I'm left wondering was Larson healthy and feeling ok? IF so that's a great sign.

133 - Earl (2nd) - Loosing 5-3 to top 5 ranked guy isn't all bad. I'm sure Earl won't take it as a moral victory.

Ian Parker (3rd) - Bright future for FR.

Boston - Solid backup but needs to really improve this year or Parker/Simmons might take this spot next year. Was he really dinged up on his MFF to Yates? It would have been nice if he would have tried to turn that close SV loss into a win. What do you really have to loose if your the backup anyway????

141 - Storr (3rd) is showing promise and his future is bright but I really hope they keep him redshirted.

Wesley - Needs to continue to improve.

Hopefully Gabe can be a factor at 141 for us. Can anyone tell us when/if we can expect to see him wrestle this year?

149 - Briceno (4th) - Good to see him get the Fall against the kid who beat him on the front side. To be honest I've got pretty low expectations here 149. Maybe he will surprise me and be a tourney qualifier.

157 - RRS (5th) - 2 close losses. A bit underwhelming.

165 - Dane (Champ) - Great Job winning in SV! I was worried about the weight cut but this could be a good sign. I'll keep my optimism lower because it's going to be a long season for Dane. I give him a ton of credit for making the sacrifice to get down to this weight for the good of the team. Honestly, he could have stayed at 174 and tried to take Spoon's spot and no-one would have blamed him. He could be a AA contender at 174 IMO.

174 - Spoon (Champ) - Did what was expected! Great job! Also - Carson Powell (5th) solid backup performance.

184 - PD3 (MFF/DNP) - I hope it's not a serious injury. No real backup here? Swalla? What about the club guy that won a few matches?

197 - Colbray (DNP) ???? - Got beat by the 5th & 6th place guys. Very underwhelming...This makes me questions pulling his RS even more. IF he doesn't even qualify for the NCAA's what was the point? Joe Teague the RSFR from Algona made it almost as far on the backside before loosing to the 4th place guy.

HWT - Can anyone give us an update on Quean? Stowe & Seiberstein (sp?) both need to improve a lot before making us competitive here.

OW Performance goes to Dane IMO...I'm hoping he can handle the cut and keep his gas tank. Winning a SV in the championship match is a great sign. Earl & Spoon did what was expected. Surprise performances goes to Simmons (atta boy) and Colbray (uh ohhh).

Mysteries that need to be solved include Gabe, Quean and PD3's health. Any insight or feedback is welcomed. Also - how about the health of C Strickland?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Gabe is cleared to go, but they have a plan as far as how much mat time before they send him out. Trust in the shoulder is important.

Meeks is supposedly going to a Open in Michigan this weekend with a few others. He is good to go.

I hope so for both guys, because if they pull Storr's RS, I might fly off the handle.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
That would be only fitting for the Cyclones.
125 looks like a good bracket. Downey vs Dudley should be exciting.

Dudley dodged a Bazooka!
Commando-Matrix-Firing_Rocket_Launcher-610x343.png

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Yeah, I'm aware of this, which is why I asked for the backstory. He hadn't lost and his projected matchup with Dudley was the most anticipated match of the tournament, so I'd be surprised if it was just a 'Nah, don't want to today' kind of reason.

Has never done that since age five and never will.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Heard Downey was getting beat by the Nebbie backup and got hurt.

Good effort out of the young guys at 125. Nice to see Pestano win. Spoon was Spoon. Lots of work to do outside of that. Thought Colbray would have done better. Earl getting 2nd a week after oversleeping and missing a tournament isn't encouraging. But it's a long year and clearly we aren't peaking early.

No-one made it past the first two minutes with PD3. Tell your source that Hillary lost fair and square and to suck it up.

WildMan

Oct 26, 2016
I was looking forward to Dudley vs PD3. Unfortunate that didnt happen. Injuries suck.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
No-one made it past the first two minutes with PD3. Tell your source that Hillary lost fair and square and to suck it up.

I'm all for more wrestling discussion, because God knows we sure don't have enough posters on this site that actually care about the team, but let's keep political crap out of here.

Hope Pat gets healthy here soon, team needs him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron