Hawkeye Basketball Recruiting

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
KXNO today Sean was slobbering all over Tony Perkins and how great he looks. Better than Murray. One guy called in and said he is first round draft caliber good. Really?

• Haha
Reactions: GTO

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
KXNO today Sean was slobbering all over Tony Perkins and how great he looks. Better than Murray. One guy called in and said he is first round draft caliber good. Really?
I'll cut their fans and media a break on that take. Iowa hasn't seen good guard play since basically the Alford era. Along the way to now, you had Jok and I guess Bohannon did set all those records, and... yeah.

Reactions: exCYtable

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Would not doubt it if they end up signing this guy, who they've offered.

They want this guy.

They've missed on about 6 or 7 bigs already and keep moving onto the next one. Eickholt was convinced Estrella was in the bag.

DunkeyFeller

May 22, 2022
Perkins is good player, but first round caliber is an extreme stretch. I think he could be a first team all Big 10 guy as a senior, and 1st-2nd team this year, but don’t really see a tremendous future for him in the NBA.

He did out perform Kris, but Fran also sat Kris earlier in the 2nd half.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Perkins is good player, but first round caliber is an extreme stretch. I think he could be a first team all Big 10 guy as a senior, and 1st-2nd team this year, but don’t really see a tremendous future for him in the NBA.

1st round is definitely a stretch I think if he shoots consistently well he could be a 10th man to a 2 way player. It's exciting to have a guard like him for once. He's a grown man

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
1st round is definitely a stretch I think if he shoots consistently well he could be a 10th man to a 2 way player. It's exciting to have a guard like him for once. He's a grown man
He has the athleticism and 'bounce' so to speak. I think he plays good defense, possibly the best defensive guard in Fran's term as coach. I like that he is versatile, and can play the 1-3 and even defend bigger players on the block if he has to. I have doubts that he can shoot the NBA 3-ball effectively enough to get drafted very high. He reminds me a little bit of Talen Horton-Tucker, just not quite as high of upside.

My guess is if he has a really good season, and I do mean really good, he could go late 2nd round to undrafted. He will probably come back for his senior year. Hawk media is trying to spin these Wooden caliber players that they've had in recent years to now getting the fans to think they are easily grown on trees in their own backyard.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
He has the athleticism and 'bounce' so to speak. I think he plays good defense, possibly the best defensive guard in Fran's term as coach. I like that he is versatile, and can play the 1-3 and even defend bigger players on the block if he has to. I have doubts that he can shoot the NBA 3-ball effectively enough to get drafted very high. He reminds me a little bit of Talen Horton-Tucker, just not quite as high of upside.

My guess is if he has a really good season, and I do mean really good, he could go late 2nd round to undrafted. He will probably come back for his senior year. Hawk media is trying to spin these Wooden caliber players that they've had in recent years to now getting the fans to think they are easily grown on trees in their own backyard.
I was going to make same comparison to THT but resisted to not upset the masses. I do think the raw talent is below THT too but I think he plays smarter and harder. I worry he might be exposed a bit as a pg when we play a pressing team. He's a more natural 2 or 3

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I was going to make same comparison to THT but resisted to not upset the masses. I do think the raw talent is below THT too but I think he plays smarter and harder. I worry he might be exposed a bit as a pg when we play a pressing team. He's a more natural 2 or 3
Ain't no might to it.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Thanks for the color commentary HIIC!

Reactions: JP4CY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Our lowest rated recruit is 8.993. So this guy who is their second highest recruit is deemed 0.0001 better.

Scrolling thru that list shows you just how accurate recruiting rankings are:

Wedged between Jakolby Long and Dudley Blackwell -- Tyrese Haliburton.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

We got one year of THT. Freshman THT's raw talent >>>>>>>>>> Perkins. Perkins is a nice, average B1G guard.

As far as playing smarter than freshman THT, that's a REALLY low bar to clear. He had a lot of growing to do, but the raw talent was so special he got drafted. He's carved out a nice career so far in the NBA. I don't see Perkins anywhere near that honestly.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Help Support Us

Become a patron