Hawkeye Basketball Recruiting

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
They beat North Carolina a few years back, and I am almost positive at the time they would have had fans that would argue with you on this.

Ross's Rant takes the cake... This was after Iowa had started like 7-0 in B1G play. They beat MSU without Valentine and then beat them again with a gimpy Valentine in his first game back. Iowa had officially replaced Iowa State. Iowa proceeded to lose 6 out of their last 7 season games and lost on Thursday to Illinois in the B1G tourney. They followed that up by dropping all the way to a 7 seed and needed a Woodbury shove to beat Temple and then got absolutely BOAT RACED by Nova. There is no reality with that fan base. For a fun comparison, Iowa State made the sweet 16 that year while Fran watched the game at home with his boys.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ross's Rant takes the cake... This was after Iowa had started like 7-0 in B1G play. They beat MSU without Valentine and then beat them again with a gimpy Valentine in his first game back. Iowa had officially replaced Iowa State. Iowa proceeded to lose 6 out of their last 7 season games and lost on Thursday to Illinois in the B1G tourney. They followed that up by dropping all the way to a 7 seed and needed a Woodbury shove to beat Temple and then got absolutely BOAT RACED by Nova. There is no reality with that fan base. For a fun comparison, Iowa State made the sweet 16 that year while Fran watched the game at home with his boys.

You're actually thinking of a different year. UNC lost to Iowa in Carver two years ago, when Iowa was ranked #3, ended up being a 2 seed and got embarrassed by Oregon in the 2nd round.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls

That rant was the greatest. Completely off his rocker.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Idk I'm probably not going to say Iowa's in a better spot than 'Cuse. Their next hire is no doubt critical but Fran has topped out at Iowa.
Yeah, i don't have an issue with going the other way either. I think both programs arent on the upswing by any means. Main disagreement was with the idea that Syracuse was for sure better because of the tournament stuff when a few of those bids weren't ones they really deserved. Neither program is one I'd want to swtich places with at all right now though as far as current day status goes

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Watch out, Luka signed a contract with the Timberwolves and WHO/Soundoff is retweeting it like crazy.
oh wow.... the Timberwolves are the NBA benchmark for success! Signing with the pathetic Wolves is the equivalent of signing a baseball contract with the Iowa Cubs, thinking you have hit the big time. At least Luka is not playing in Slovakia yet. The Wolves have been so historically bad, they should be contracted from the league.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Syracuse is in a much better spot than Iowa. They've stagnated a bit because Boeheim is super old and been around forever, running the same defense that opponents have had decades to observe and prepare for now. Recruiting I would imagine has tapered off a bit, because kids are probably waiting for the other shoe to drop and don't want to be caught holding the bag once he retires. Jim has even taken a play from Fran's playbook and had at least 2 of his kids play for him now, but even still, I'd take Syracuse. Boeheim is a better in-game coach than Fran on his worst day, and with all of their history and tournament success, Syracuse is about as close to a blue blood as you can be without being one.
I feel like its longer than a bit at this point. They haven't finished above 6th in conference since 13-14. They've been stuck in a weird bubbly spot since then. It's weird, the tournament runs are good obviously but it feels like they really haven't made a difference to Cuse like they should.

I think Syracuse has more to sell than Iowa does overall but I just dont see a major difference between the team who's been very mediocre for the last decade while randomly popping off when they can get in with a double digit seed vs. The sqaud that can get there but is regularly embarrsed when the lights shine the brightest.

If I had to take a stance id call it a push

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Sounds like it's a training camp deal, so at least he'll likely get some run back in Des Moines for the Wolves.

No doubt they were probably thinking that. Might as well try to help their G-League team get out of the red. Really good college player, but the NBA is a different animal. We've seen that with ISU players too. If you don't have elite athleticism, the deck is stacked against you...especially if you're not able to guard multiple positions.

• Haha
Reactions: DBQR4CY

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Which ISU
No doubt they were probably thinking that. Might as well try to help their G-League team get out of the red. Really good college player, but the NBA is a different animal. We've seen that with ISU players too. If you don't have elite athleticism, the deck is stacked against you...especially if you're not able to guard multiple positions.
Players? So many of them have real NBA contracts.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Miramichi Timberwolves? Nobody said Minnesota Timberwolves. Mirimachi t-wolves are a semipro hockey team out of Minnesota.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Going to try and call in tomorrow with a question for Andy.

So Andy if Frank Garza had swindled you personally out of 10s of thousands of dollars would you still welcome him onto your show?
Let me know what time you'll be calling in so I can have the popcorn ready!

Reactions: CycloneVet

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Going to try and call in tomorrow with a question for Andy.

So Andy if Frank Garza had swindled you personally out of 10s of thousands of dollars would you still welcome him onto your show?

LOL that call will never make it by the screener.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You're actually thinking of a different year. UNC lost to Iowa in Carver two years ago, when Iowa was ranked #3, ended up being a 2 seed and got embarrassed by Oregon in the 2nd round.
With the greatest center that is already totally forgotten.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Which ISU

Players? So many of them have real NBA contracts.
Yeah, definitely quite a few do. But many more I thought were NBA worthy and ended up overseas. Homan, Kane, Babb, Clyburn, Stinson...those guys I thought had a skill set to make a roster and they all had a cup of coffee at best. It is extremely hard to make an NBA roster. Especially if you don't have freak athleticism and/or size. Someone like Haliburton, if he was 6'1 instead of 6'5, he'd be in the G-League at best. The only other way is if you do one thing extremely well and are just good enough at everything else. Niang and Thomas have made themselves into elite 3 point shooters. Even if the rest of their games are below average as far as NBA players go, they are good enough at shooting to stick on a roster.

In the same vein, if Garza was 7'1 instead of 6'10 or whatever, he'd have no trouble making a roster.

• Haha
Reactions: DBQR4CY