Hawkeyes' perspective on their losses to ISU

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
From the University of Iowa student newspaper:

Which of the three Cy-Hawk rivalry losses to Iowa State - football, men's basketball, or women's basketball - was the worst?

point/counterpoint

DI Sports Staff

Women's basketball

For Iowa, it hasn't been pretty in Ames this year, but at least football and men's basketball made it a game at some point during their losses. On the women's side, Bluder's Bunch couldn't hit anything in the first half, scoring 13 points - tying a school record for fewest points in a frame - or roughly a basket every three minutes.

Thirteen points is not basketball. Football teams score 13 - the Cyclones put up almost that many, 12, in the first half against Iowa football in September. Even baseball teams can put up more than that. The Texas Rangers, anyone?

As bad as the Hawkeye offense looked on the gridiron this year, women's basketball looked as if it was part of Tennessee's nonconference schedule against the Cyclones. Shooting 17 percent from the field, the Hawkeyes only had two players score in the first 25 minutes.

The 15-point halftime deficit could have been much worse - Iowa State failed to capitalize on a number of defensive breakdowns. But Iowa couldn't much dent the double-digit lead for the rest of the game, managing to pull within eight, but then trailing by as many as 17.

Although the Hawkeyes outscored the Cyclones by one in the second period, they were dominated in key offensive categories: points in the paint (40-16), points off turnovers (19-5), second-chance points (18-7), bench points (21-2), and turnovers (17-5).

The 58-44 loss was another meltdown in the recent history of failure against Iowa State, which has won nine of the last 11 matchups. Last year, Iowa jumped out to an 11-0 lead before losing, and the Hawkeyes haven't won at Hilton since the current roster was in diapers.

As unexpected and demoralizing as the losses in men's basketball and football were, they weren't blown out. But the women set a mark of futility that will probably stand a long time.

- by Diane Hendrickson

Men's basketball

No loss to an Iowa State team in 2007 is as big as the one suffered four days ago. It was Todd Lickliter's first time with the in-state rivalry as the head coach of Iowa men's basketball.

But it shouldn't have been.

First off, the women's basketball team got mauled by the Cyclones. Lisa Bluder's team wasn't even close to winning. Any time that happens, the passion and fun is taken out of one side of the rivalry. Long before that game was over, Hawkeye fans had no stake left in it.

The football team, yeah, it took a last-second field goal by a team that has missed so many important three-point kicks over the last few years, but that's not enough. Iowa had full health and came in hot off a shutout over Syracuse.

All that loss did was tell everyone in Iowa City two things:

Kirk Ferentz still can't solve the riddle of Cyclone football and that the 2007 Hawkeye football team isn't really that good.

Any arguments for either? Didn't think so.

Lickliter's squad's loss happened because they got gypped. Some Simpson Storm basketball player got in the way of junior Tony Freeman's foot, fracturing it and relegating the much-improved guard to the bench in his street clothes for 10 games.

Losing to Iowa State without your best player only gives Cyclone fans one more year to gloat and do it in a gloriously obnoxious, undeserved way.

Put T-Free on the court at full health - and ISU's Wesley Johnson, who's also on the mend - and I'll guarantee an Iowa "W."

At least the Cyclone football and women's basketball teams got the best look from the Hawkeyes. Those two Iowa State teams *earned* their wins …

Greg McDermott's basketball squad, however, got the help of the Simpson Storm's clumsy footwear.

- by Alex Johnson

Football

Sitting at 2-0 after solid wins over Northern Illinois and Syracuse, the Iowa football team walked into its game against Iowa State poised to take care of business and move on to a showdown with then top-10 ranked Wisconsin.

Instead, the Hawkeyes left Ames after a demoralizing 15-13 loss that sent their season into a tailspin they could never fully overcome. Managing to lose a college football game in which the opponent did not score a single touchdown would've been bad enough.

But to Iowa State? And on five field goals?

Cyclone kicker Bret Culbertson was flimsier than a house of cards before Iowa came to town, but given enough chances in a uninspired performance by Ferentz's Hawkeyes, the senior came through.

The loss was bad at the time, falling to a team that had been defeated by Championship-Subdivison Northern Iowa, 24-13, the week before. The loss looked even worse as the weeks passed. The Cyclones dropped their next six games, including a 36-35 loss to Toledo a week after winning their "Super Bowl."

The debacle at Iowa State began a trend of games in which Iowa came out flat and never recovered (see: Indiana and Western Michigan).

While the losses to Iowa State in men's and women's basketball were bad, there's still time for both teams to bounce back and have productive seasons.

I suppose I have the advantage of hindsight that the others won't while arguing this, but the loss to Iowa State in football derailed a football season that wasn't destined to be spectacular but at least should've included a win in the Cy-Hawk Series.

- by Mike Brownlee

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
WOW...there are just too many stupid statements in that to respond to.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Put T-Free on the court at full health - and ISU's Wesley Johnson, who's also on the mend - and I'll guarantee an Iowa "W."

:eek:...... Seriously?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ok, at first read I thought "wow, he's actually pointing out that iowa probably didn't deserve to win." Then, I read the basketball section. Yes, blame that darn Simpson guard, ISU probably paid him off to step in front of Freeman like that. Anytime I hear the phrase "super-bowl" when talking about Iowa-ISU, I get angry.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Well, here are the important aspects that pertain to that article:

Iowa State: 15
Iowa : 13

Iowa State: 56
Iowa : 47

Iowa State: 58
Iowa : 44

Any questions?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Tony freaking Freeman has ONE decent game and people think hes a game saver. Just wait when the cold hard reality hits and those people realize he is really not very good.

JDB41

Dec 9, 2007
Ames, IA
WOW!! That is a piece of uh... crap paper I mean seriously I understand being loyal and thinking you should win an all that but come on

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
You guys realize this is the Daily Iowan - the Iowa student paper, right? Why would they say anything positive about ISU, let alone print something from the ISU point of view? I don't see a problem with it. During the football season, I saw several "excuse articles" after losses to UNI and Kent State in the Iowa State Daily.

It's a student paper. A crappy one, I'll admit, but still a student paper. My question is, why are people searching the Daily Iowan for articles? I realize there aren't many better papers in the state, but almost all are better than that "publication".

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I guess you are right.... how can you expect an Iowa student to have any brains? Great point

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Cyclone kicker Bret Culbertson was flimsier than a house of cards before Iowa came to town, but given enough chances in a uninspired performance by Ferentz's Hawkeyes, the senior came through.

The loss was bad at the time, falling to a team that had been defeated by Championship-Subdivison Northern Iowa, 24-13, the week before. The loss looked even worse as the weeks passed. The Cyclones dropped their next six games, including a 36-35 loss to Toledo a week after winning their "Super Bowl."

The debacle at Iowa State began a trend of games in which Iowa came out flat and never recovered (see: Indiana and Western Michigan).

- by Mike Brownlee

3 cliched excuses in 3 paragraphs is pretty impressive, even for the Iowa student newspaper.

edit: also; isn't "point/counterpoint" supposed to include counterpoints, and not just points?

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
I am surprised they didn't talk about wrestling for a positive spin on the Cy-hawk series.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I am surprised they didn't talk about wrestling for a positive spin on the Cy-hawk series.

I'd say he'd have to talk about swimming (Iowa was supposed to beat us in that, insted we won to clinch the series) but people care even less about swimming than they do wrestling... soccer or softball even :no:

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
Freeman's the one with the broken foot...don't be calling the Simpson player clumsy! Maybe Lickliter will think twice before scheduling the mighty Storm again...that game is apparently why they're not winning more games...whatever!!!

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
My question is, why are people searching the Daily Iowan for articles?

My answer is I don't know.

My questions is, why is a hawkeye fan such an avid poster on a Cyclone fan website? Do you think you might be the one to change the ways of a fan base?

As for the rest of it (Iowa State vs Iowa debate)... this year the "home" team won the Cy-Hawk series, just like the year before, and the year before that. Honestly, I think it's cool and good for the rivalry if the home teams can hold their own each year. I typed that and puked in my mouth a little. It will be more cool when Iowa State can get some away wins.

Go Cyclones!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Barta: I need you to write some good clips on why our sports are better than the Rag says.
Brownlee: Yes, sir. Do you mean put us in a favorable light despite what we saw?.
Barta: Like the sunshine. Stretch the rubber band. Add women's baskeball to deflect some of the alumni gripes against our boys. No mention of criminal time though.
Brownle: How about football?
Barta: Blame Scooby Doo. Football is gone - really blame the football team.
Brownlee: And men's bball? Use the injury routine just like last year.
Barta: Yeah. And blame Simpson. They deliberately stepped on our stars' feet to keep him from jumpng. Turkeys.
Brownlee: I should have the draft into you in a jif for sending to the IC Piker.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
Where do I sign up to get a Superbowl ring? As long as Kirk is their coach, I should be able to amass plenty of rings.