HBO GO

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
As someone who has cut the cord, I wouldn't pay more than 10 or so a month for it. As it sits now, I get everything I need/want with local stations and netflix.

Local stations differs a ton city to city. Here in Chicago with WGN/WCIU/channel 50 I actually get a ton of pro sports in HD for free because of those channels in addition to the 4 major networks. Probably easily over 200 MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL/MLS games a year on those channels that minor markets might not get with an HD antenna.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Local stations differs a ton city to city. Here in Chicago with WGN/WCIU/channel 50 I actually get a ton of pro sports in HD for free because of those channels in addition to the 4 major networks. Probably easily over 200 MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL/MLS games a year on those channels that minor markets might not get with an HD antenna.

For sure, but I'm talking purely from a small market stand point. I can live with Fox/ABC/CBS/NBC for my sitcoms and netflix to fill in the rest. Any sporting event I might be interested in watching I usually go to a BWW.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
ISP's are sitting back in their chairs, laughing.

(Especially those owned by cable companies.)

Silly peasants, thinking they can escape them.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It looks like CBS is getting in to the live streaming business as well.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/article2907882.html

Need to bump this post.

CBS doing this is a game changer. $6/mo for a service that they are already broadcasting for free is genius. The only thing that stinks is that my Hulu subscription may not be worth much if networks start pulling shows and putting them on their own streaming service (like Fox did with The Simpsons).

CBS also owns Showtime and it's been hinted that Showtime will be starting their own cable-less subscription service as well.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I do not had cable for 4 years and I don't have a problem with it. I stream everything. I might have to wait until the next day but I always have something ready to go in the meantime. For me to stream, its as easy as 3 clicks. For sports its a little bit more of an issue. I can even stream new movies. The streams for that can be a little dicey.

I assume (especially for sports) you're doing this through legally gray methods. I'm not going to criticize you for that, as I'm no stranger to FrontRowSports, and the like, but as more providers offer for pay streaming content, it's likely they're going to be cracking down harder on unauthorized streams. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is also what I do. Right now you can get showtime, starz, and HBO for $19/month.

As far as "cutting the cable" IMO if you watch a lot of TV there is just too much work to try and stream everything in today's environment. Let's look at my DVR for reference.

This week I'll tape the local and national news every night and then watch it about 20 minutes behind so that I can skip commercials.

I'll watch the Walking Dead live on sunday night

I'll tape Talking Dead so that I can skip commericals

Watch a couple of HBO True Detective episodes on HBO GO or whatever it's called on Directv.

I'll watch 3 hours live of Sunday Ticket Red Zone in my basement on a 120" screen in HD

I keep CNBC on in the background while I work from home

I have Fox news or CNN on in the background when I sleep on my bedroom tv

My DVR will automatically record the new 30 for 30 that came out this week

When I just want to watch TV and not something off the DVR I'll just flip through the guide and find something. "Oh House Hunters from Kansas City is on, I think I'll watch this".

This is just off the top of my head, there are a lot of other TV that gets watched.

For someone like me it would be a complete nightmare to try and cut the cord. I'd spend half my time trying to find or download stuff.

See, this is about where I'm at. I hate paying for cable, but at some point I think I pay for the convenience of being able to turn it on, punch a few numbers in a remote and watch what I want. I get I could probably play quite a bit less, and stream **** from 100 different services, and have a router that goes to the server that connects to the mainframe which streams into an antennae which plugs into a box that sends a signal to my TV, but that just seems like a lot of work and a lot that could go wrong.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
So I live in an apt where cable is included for free. Therefore, I have no access to make an account with Time Warner to login so I can watch (AMCTV.com) and others. Long story short, I found a bill from TIME WARNER in the trash at the office. I grabbed it and created a login on it. SOOOOO I now have created a login that will essentially last forever for Channel websites! Awesome. Finally got to catch up with Hell on wheels. AWESOME SHOW.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I assume (especially for sports) you're doing this through legally gray methods. I'm not going to criticize you for that, as I'm no stranger to FrontRowSports, and the like, but as more providers offer for pay streaming content, it's likely they're going to be cracking down harder on unauthorized streams. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.
I'm sure someday they will but until then I will continue to use my "gray methods".

If anyone is curious for TV, this is what I use. AdBlocker is a must.
http://www.tvmuse.com/schedule.html?date=10/16/2014

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
It looks like CBS is getting in to the live streaming business as well.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/article2907882.html

Yeah not sure how I feel about this. I suppose you are paying $6 a month for the right to view old episodes of shows. The great thing about HBO GO is everything HBO has ever done is available, much like the WWE network. If the new HBO online only thing gives the full archive, it will be worth some dough. But CBS, I don't rewatch much network TV.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
This is also what I do. Right now you can get showtime, starz, and HBO for $19/month.

As far as "cutting the cable" IMO if you watch a lot of TV there is just too much work to try and stream everything in today's environment. Let's look at my DVR for reference.

This week I'll tape the local and national news every night and then watch it about 20 minutes behind so that I can skip commercials.

I'll watch the Walking Dead live on sunday night

I'll tape Talking Dead so that I can skip commericals

Watch a couple of HBO True Detective episodes on HBO GO or whatever it's called on Directv.

I'll watch 3 hours live of Sunday Ticket Red Zone in my basement on a 120" screen in HD

I keep CNBC on in the background while I work from home

I have Fox news or CNN on in the background when I sleep on my bedroom tv

My DVR will automatically record the new 30 for 30 that came out this week

When I just want to watch TV and not something off the DVR I'll just flip through the guide and find something. "Oh House Hunters from Kansas City is on, I think I'll watch this".

This is just off the top of my head, there are a lot of other TV that gets watched.

For someone like me it would be a complete nightmare to try and cut the cord. I'd spend half my time trying to find or download stuff.

:rolleyes: