HBO GO

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
So HBO has decided to make love with the cord cutters. I like it one more step to ala carte TV. Which I know someone will come on here and say will never happen.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

Apparently there aren't many details yet as to what will be available, and what it will cost, but you have to like this. Now if I could just buy live sporting events as I want to watch them, I could get rid of cable/satellite. Supposedly the NBA is working on this with their new TV deal we will see.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I wonder what the price on this will be. They won't want to undercut cable/sat companies since they make bank from them. If it is under $20 a month, I will be surprised.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
HBO could easily go on volume. Make it under 10 a month and you will get millions of subscribers. I would think exponentially more than you would with bundled cable subscribers.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Much of the HBO catalog is already available on Amazon Prime which is $99/year. I would bet that this is somewhere in the $9/month area and there is a delay of some sort for new content to appease the cable/satellite companies.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I'll definitely get this and cut the cable as long as it's under $15 per month and doesn't have a ridiculous delay. HBO is about 75% of the reason I still have cable.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
What am I missing here? We've had HBO GO on the wife's iPad for at least a year now. Are they offering it outside of the cable subscription now? I know when we got HBO, the HBO GO stuff was included. The only thing with cable is that HBO is usually bundled with other premium channels, and Showtime has done a couple of good shows lately (can't think of anything from Skinemax). If you only wanted HBO, which is easily the best of the premium channels, that sounds like a good option.

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
It's $19/month to add HBO on Dish. I would think it would be at least that much for the streaming version, assuming the programming is available at the same time.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
What am I missing here? We've had HBO GO on the wife's iPad for at least a year now. Are they offering it outside of the cable subscription now? I know when we got HBO, the HBO GO stuff was included. The only thing with cable is that HBO is usually bundled with other premium channels, and Showtime has done a couple of good shows lately (can't think of anything from Skinemax). If you only wanted HBO, which is easily the best of the premium channels, that sounds like a good option.

Correct. You currently get HBO GO as part of your cable subscription. HBO is going to offer an internet-based subscription, much like the WWE Network.

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
It's $19/month to add HBO on Dish. I would think it would be at least that much for the streaming version, assuming the programming is available at the same time.

This.

You guys expecting less than $10/month don't realize what it already costs to get it on Dish/DirecTV/cable.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Awesome! I am not an HBO user, but between this, the announcement of NBA streaming, WWE Network and similar services - I think we're getting closer to more big heads moving toward having this option for us cord cutters.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We only get HBO and showtime about 3-6 months each outta the year. Catch up on their programming and cancel. I would love to dump cable. Esp now since espn added mediacom, but the wife watches too much crap.
All I need is mickey mouse for my daughter.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We only get HBO and showtime about 3-6 months each outta the year. Catch up on their programming and cancel. I would love to dump cable. Esp now since espn added mediacom, but the wife watches too much crap.
All I need is mickey mouse for my daughter.

This is also what I do. Right now you can get showtime, starz, and HBO for $19/month.

As far as "cutting the cable" IMO if you watch a lot of TV there is just too much work to try and stream everything in today's environment. Let's look at my DVR for reference.

This week I'll tape the local and national news every night and then watch it about 20 minutes behind so that I can skip commercials.

I'll watch the Walking Dead live on sunday night

I'll tape Talking Dead so that I can skip commericals

Watch a couple of HBO True Detective episodes on HBO GO or whatever it's called on Directv.

I'll watch 3 hours live of Sunday Ticket Red Zone in my basement on a 120" screen in HD

I keep CNBC on in the background while I work from home

I have Fox news or CNN on in the background when I sleep on my bedroom tv

My DVR will automatically record the new 30 for 30 that came out this week

When I just want to watch TV and not something off the DVR I'll just flip through the guide and find something. "Oh House Hunters from Kansas City is on, I think I'll watch this".

This is just off the top of my head, there are a lot of other TV that gets watched.

For someone like me it would be a complete nightmare to try and cut the cord. I'd spend half my time trying to find or download stuff.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I tried to get HBO Go several times without a real TV subscription, they've already lost $ on me over the past 3 years by not having it available to anyone online exclusively. I'd also probably pay $ to have full espn access online exclusively, but what I do get with espn3 just because my ISP is a partner is still pretty awesome.

crackle.com is free and vastly higher quality than over 90% of cable channels. There is a lot of crap on there but at any given time the top 10 movies available crush what you'd get on basic cable channels. Plus 10 rotating Seinfeld episodes every month. I could watch Step Brothers, Jerry McGuire, Fletch, Fletch Lives, and a dozen horror movies on Crackle right now...or I could watch a dozen horrible J-Lo movies on TNT, USA, FX, etc... Crackle wins.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I do not had cable for 4 years and I don't have a problem with it. I stream everything. I might have to wait until the next day but I always have something ready to go in the meantime. For me to stream, its as easy as 3 clicks. For sports its a little bit more of an issue. I can even stream new movies. The streams for that can be a little dicey.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
As someone who has cut the cord, I wouldn't pay more than 10 or so a month for it. As it sits now, I get everything I need/want with local stations and netflix.