He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon

CYwrestle

Feb 23, 2014
And who trusts Pollard not to hire the next Mark Cody as opposed to the next Kevin Dresser?

Pollard making a move at least shows he cares about the program but you are right there is always a risk of potentially hiring the wrong guy.

Reactions: CyGold

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Against what though? Blatantly false statements? Yeah, probably, but you aren't changing minds. People have their opinions and are going to express them. Engaging them is almost never going to end well. The screenshot that was previously posted showed a guy that isn't impressed with the state of the program. He was extremely respectful. Butthurt isn't the way to go on social media because people feed off that.

Against someone who doesn't know the inner working of what goes on in the wrestling room.

For example my wife is a CFO, if someone who had no knowledge of want goes on in her office got on their organizations facebook and started spouting off, you better believe I would get on there and defend her.

Listen I am not happy with the wrestling results but if you get on facebook and act like a know it all then I have no problem with family defending.

• Disagree
Reactions: Relic and CyGold

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Against someone who doesn't know the inner working of what goes on in the wrestling room.

For example my wife is a CFO, if someone who had no knowledge of want goes on in her office got on their organizations facebook and started spouting off, you better believe I would get on there and defend her.

Listen I am not happy with the wrestling results but if you get on facebook and act like a know it all then I have no problem with family defending.

Big difference between being a Division I coach and being in business. There has never been an incident where a coach or coach's family member took to FB, Twitter, or message boards to tell off fans and came out looking good.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
And who trusts Pollard not to hire the next Mark Cody as opposed to the next Kevin Dresser?
If at first you don't succeed...try, try again

What if he hires the next Harold Nichols?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
It'd be nearly impossible for Pollard to hire someone that would make ISU worse then it is right now. There are lots of people that could be hired and would produce 1-2 AAs per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: csteve

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Not exactly sure why the wrestling coach is supposed to be untouchable when it comes to scrutiny, but it's absolutely pathetic that his family members are giving people a hard-time on social media. Imagine if he was a coach of a sport like football or basketball and continued to under perform.
I agree, this is nothing compared to the abuse CPR and McD got on sites like this or social media.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Being questioned is abuse? If KJ doesn't want to be questioned, he needs a different job (or unemployment).
Right. Tell me where you work so I can walk in and tell everyone what a lousy job you do. I may not know anything about your work but, hey, you should be able to take a little criticism.

• Dislike
Reactions: csteve

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Does this mean you're okay with the abuse?
where did I say that was ok?

As for the people saying it's fine to fire back on social media, I disagree. By not responding, you are acting like the person making the allegations don't matter. By responding, you are acknowledging them which doesn't serve any real purpose and coming off as really insecure in the process. What will it do, in most cases you'll make the situation worse. For example, Ron said nothing personal, just that he wants the team to do better. He didn't go after KJ family/race/whatever. Why comment back on that? I understand there's times where people go over the line but he hardly did there.

There's a nice feature on most social media sites, message boards. It's called the "block" button. Use it on them if their opinions effect you so much you actually have to respond to people in a condescending tone.

I've recently discovered the paragraph above and my life is way easier. Somebody gives you ****? Block them. Pretty easy. Even better, ignore them!

EDIT: If you read Ron's post again, he doesn't even mention firing KJ, just that he wants the team to do better.

Last edited:

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
Right. Tell me where you work so I can walk in and tell everyone what a lousy job you do. I may not know anything about your work but, hey, you should be able to take a little criticism.

Again, there is a big difference between coaches and the public. Criticism is part of the job and if you can't handle it then you shouldn't be in coaching. Similar to politicians.

I'm not even part of the pro-firing Jackson crowd, but I find it ridiculous that people are suddenly alarmed that some are calling for his job. From what I have seen, there hasn't been anything that crossed the line and was personal. EVERY coach at some has had people who wanted them out. It is part of coaching.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve and Cy$

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
where did I say that was ok?

Mine was a question not an assertion. I was asking you if you thought it was okay.

A funny thing goes on here. We can all denigrate the coach by misrepresenting the record, and offering scurrilous arguments, but if he "responds" on social media (and we don't know that he did), the whole affair is his fault.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
OK. I get 200+ evaluations every year. Some of them contain criticism, as they rightly should.
Maybe I should be the wrestling coach.

Are are your eval's public? Do any of them misrepresent what you've actually done? Do any of them call for your firing?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Are are your eval's public? Do any of them misrepresent what you've actually done? Do any of them call for your firing?

No calls for firing yet. They're anonymous for student's protection, but I offer up their freedom to say absolutely anything.

It's not my fault KJ sucks at his job. You should take that up with him.

Now, students have opportunities to make things public with things like ratemyprofessor or any # of social media options. If people want to note publicly that I suck at my job, they have the ability and opportunity. If they're right, they ought to do it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron