Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Fiber and protein are my main focus. I also hit water pretty hard. I finish 20+ ounces before I can have my morning coffee. It motivates me.

The common thread to ALL of these - protein, fiber, water, etc - is that you are not QUITTING something, you are ADDING something. For some reason our brains work better in trying to change habits if we ADD something new to focus on, rather than being focused on something negative (no cigs, no chocolate, no carbs, no pop, whatever). I think they have studies showing that adding works better than denying.

Surely something psychological in our brains, kind of reminds me of loss aversion in economics.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If you don't have enough weight to challenge you in the rep ranges you want to do, try slowing down. Muscle growth depends on "time under tension." Which means you have to sleep straining long enough for force the adaptation. Do 2+ seconds on the concentric (lifting) phase, flex hard at the top, and even slower on the eccentric (lowering) phase.

Some people use "lengthened partials" - just doing half reps, but doing the half range of motion where the target muscle is longest. The top of a rep for any exercise tends to have the most leverage, so the same weight results in less tension in the muscle fibers. So for example in a bicep curl you'd just go from arms straight to arms ~90°, and go slow. Even at lighter weights, you'll be maximizing the time under tension in the muscle for a constant number of reps.

Eccentric reps can also be effective and a good way to mix it up.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Eccentric reps can also be effective and a good way to mix it up.
Concentric to get big, Eccentric to get strong.

A few years ago I heard or read that and I was just coming off of Hammer and Chisel (Which is still the best full body workout program IMO) so I did a couple weeks of only eccentric stuff and the strength gains relative to a workout based in concentric movements was significant.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Concentric to get big, Eccentric to get strong.

A few years ago I heard or read that and I was just coming off of Hammer and Chisel (Which is still the best full body workout program IMO) so I did a couple weeks of only eccentric stuff and the strength gains relative to a workout based in concentric movements was significant.
Isometrics are also really good since you are putting 100% force against a stationary object. The only downside is the range of motion is small. But it can be great for addressing sticking points.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Isometrics are also really good since you are putting 100% force against a stationary object. The only downside is the range of motion is small. But it can be great for addressing sticking points.

Some dudes on YouTube hit the holder crowd. Guy has something called a Tricon set that is a mix of slow tempo, explosive, and isometric in the same set

You will know you did something after a couple of those.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: besserheimerphat

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I tried to keep my heart rate in Zone 2 on the peloton last night, yeah that's not going to work. I think I could enter that zone by playing video games, it felt like I was doing nothing.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Here's the Tricon stuff. They have a ton of videos. Some very repetitive about hormones and testosterone, but for time under tension this type of move let's you know you're alive

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I tried to keep my heart rate in Zone 2 on the peloton last night, yeah that's not going to work. I think I could enter that zone by playing video games, it felt like I was doing nothing.
Did you follow this?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'd rather do Bulgarians than whatever you call the step up on bench to reverse squats. Both suck though. Used to love leg lifts but now that I'm old leg days are the worst.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Fiber and protein are my main focus. I also hit water pretty hard. I finish 20+ ounces before I can have my morning coffee. It motivates me.

I've heard that on water before coffee too but thus far I am.................lax lol.

Reactions: MJ29

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Did a DexaFit scan Halloween and then again last week. Never really heard of it before but was interested. She pointed out where my protein should be and I was consisently at 60-70% - quite short. So I started upping that very shortly after the first scan. I didn't lose any weight between the two time periods (thanks holidays!) however, I gained two lbs of muscle and lost 1.5 of fat. It was super interesting to see because I didn't change my workouts that much, if at all. Nice change for two months of no real other effort besides trying to hit protein. Well, she did point out how unbalanced my muscle was right to left. Most of that muscle gain was actually my left leg so hopefully I am now less injury prone!

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I've been seeing reports of Ozempic and Wegovy causing gastroparesis last few days. Knew those were discussed here, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
sprained my ankle in a car accident on Thursday morning. Tring to figure out how to continue my progress when I'm injured for a while.

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
sprained my ankle in a car accident on Thursday morning. Tring to figure out how to continue my progress when I'm injured for a while.

The good news is at least it was just a sprained ankle, and the healthy diet can still continue.

If you have to sit around get rid of junk food to resist eating bad stuff out of boredom.