Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Sydney Cummings has some great YouTube workouts (even some bodyweight). I have also used The Body Project channel in the past.
I did a HIIT workout last week from Sydney's channel. The workout kicked my *** in a good way. Even during the "rest" periods she had you keep moving in some way.

My wife and I did a workout video from The Body Project channel this morning (20 minute, low impact, HIIT workout). The issue with that one was the guy on the video wouldn't stop talking, which got annoying.

Reactions: madguy30 and MJ29

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I am not so confident that the weight loss pills will be a lasting answer for obesity issues in the US. Our culture around food is beyond unhealthy, from discussions I've had with foreign people they indicated that our food portions were unfathomable. We need to address the types of food we've made cheap and addicting, no pill can counteract the temptations at modern American fast food restaurants, just go to any Pizza Ranch, I am afraid that people who frequent those types of restaurants and don't exercise will not win the battle by simply taking a weight loss pill.

One of the best things we could do to combat obesity is to address childhood hunger and poverty.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
also, tracked my fiber for a few days and it's definitely well below the recommended range. But omg, it is impossible to get to that level.

• Agree
Reactions: MJ29 and ScottyP

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
also, tracked my fiber for a few days and it's definitely well below the recommended range. But omg, it is impossible to get to that level.

For me it's protein.

Trying to gain strength and get out of this calorie surplus world.

YouTube tells me it's almost impossible to lose fat without losing muscle, but if I get enough protein there's a chance.

Something like 200 grams of protein a day. That's nearly impossible

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Bought a Peloton a few weeks ago.

From 25-45, I stayed in pretty good shape but still a little heavy. Ran a lot from 26-30, when I completed my one and only marathon, and haven't really ran since. 30-45 I belonged to gyms and did a little of everything (Insanity, Spin classes, etc).

A couple of years ago when I had cancer, I was on a feeding tube for a couple of months and lost 30lbs. Since then I've gained the weight back plus 10.

For me, it really is all about food/beer. Even when I was training for a marathon and running 30+ miles per week, I wouldn't lose weight unless I didn't eat like a pig.

Besides the feeding tube, which I hope to never do again, IF has probably worked best for me. My best results were 20/4 with zero exercise. I have to think doing 20/4 combined with a little Peloton should produce some good results. I plan on moving that way once I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yeah it's hard lol. I think it just goes to show how woefully short a large majority of people are. I'm trying to reach that threshold and I often can't make it. Most people are probably wayyyy below

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
For me it's protein.

YouTube tells me it's almost impossible to lose fat without losing muscle, but if I get enough protein there's a chance.

I started adding a whey protein to my coffee and my yogurt smoothie after I workout. Because I'm supposed to get 100g and I was 70 on a good day. So now I've got the protein but IDK how to get the fiber without sacrificing protein or just eating 2500 calories a day.

Reactions: MJ29

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I am not so confident that the weight loss pills will be a lasting answer for obesity issues in the US. Our culture around food is beyond unhealthy, from discussions I've had with foreign people they indicated that our food portions were unfathomable. We need to address the types of food we've made cheap and addicting, no pill can counteract the temptations at modern American fast food restaurants, just go to any Pizza Ranch, I am afraid that people who frequent those types of restaurants and don't exercise will not win the battle by simply taking a weight loss pill.
That’s the beauty of these new medications or at least the potential we are seeing/hoping for. Not only do the drugs help with feeling of satiety to avoid the addicting nature of modern food manufacturing but many people actually report feeling disgusted by those types of food on the drugs and many also feel an increased desire to go to the gym.

A lot of research needs to be done to figure out exactly why these effects are occurring and it sounds too good to be true but a lot of data we are seeing suggests that it is.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I started adding a whey protein to my coffee and my yogurt smoothie after I workout. Because I'm supposed to get 100g and I was 70 on a good day. So now I've got the protein but IDK how to get the fiber without sacrificing protein or just eating 2500 calories a day.
Husband had one polyp for each colonoscopy so after the last one, they told him to get a fiber supplement.

You seem kind of young for that. I do think oatmeal is a good base to add lots of high fiber foods that don’t add a ton of calories.

Popcorn also would be a good fiber snack

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You can similarly take a fiber supplement if you’re not getting enough though your diet. My friend that’s a GI doc always recommends optfiber from Costco. But I don’t know if that’s just because they love Costco or not

• Haha
Reactions: Gunnerclone

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
You can similarly take a fiber supplement if you’re not getting enough though your diet. My friend that’s a GI doc always recommends optfiber from Costco. But I don’t know if that’s just because they love Costco or not

yeah I may look into that, really leaning into my middle ages era already it appears. But I'm at like 15-18g on a good day.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Husband had one polyp for each colonoscopy so after the last one, they told him to get a fiber supplement.

You seem kind of young for that. I do think oatmeal is a good base to add lots of high fiber foods that don’t add a ton of calories.

Popcorn also would be a good fiber snack

I do love popcorn! Spouse was like why do you care if you have no symptoms of low fiber (lol) I'm like well because it has other benefits like reducing cancer risk!

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
when it comes to obesity and health. I think many people are addicted to sugar and don't realize it. When I grocery shop at the store, it is amazing to see people at the checkout and their shopping cart at least half full of just soda.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
For me it's protein.

When I started intermittent fasting, I learned that I needed to increase my protein to feel fuller for longer. When I started to track my macros/calories more, I realized I wasn't getting near enough protein. Once I bumped my protein up, my hunger started to go way down when fasting.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Made it to the gym 13 times in December which I thought was pretty good for an old retired guy. Need to add the exercise bike or track in this month. Haven't done anything but walkabout since biking outdoor biking season ended. Maybe jog on the track for a mile as a cool down for some variety.

Reactions: MJ29

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
That’s the beauty of these new medications or at least the potential we are seeing/hoping for. Not only do the drugs help with feeling of satiety to avoid the addicting nature of modern food manufacturing but many people actually report feeling disgusted by those types of food on the drugs and many also feel an increased desire to go to the gym.

A lot of research needs to be done to figure out exactly why these effects are occurring and it sounds too good to be true but a lot of data we are seeing suggests that it is.
My mother-in-law tried one of those drugs for a couple of weeks, but couldn't handle the GI side effects. Are the newer ones coming out going to cause similar issues?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
My mother-in-law tried one of those drugs for a couple of weeks, but couldn't handle the GI side effects. Are the newer ones coming out going to cause similar issues?
GI effects are one of the common side effects, for some people they will get to the point that they don’t want to be on it anymore, the hope is that with each advancement some of that gets managed or it can be handled another way.

Reactions: ScottyP

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
when it comes to obesity and health. I think many people are addicted to sugar and don't realize it. When I grocery shop at the store, it is amazing to see people at the checkout and their shopping cart at least half full of just soda.

Go into a Kwik Triip/Star and take a look around too.

They actually have things like carrots/bananas and other healthy food for below or at prices for a bag of chips/candy but the chips and candy is everwhere with all sorts of options while the rest seems almost hidden.

The same goes for full on grocery stores.
The folks who mass produced the bad food to feed the addiction knew what they were doing.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
I have been good at managing my weight over the years. I am 6' and 194 lbs. First importance is controlling your eating, so eat as few carbs and as little fat as you possibly can, which means vegetables, fruits, and lowfat meat. a little bit of carbs. You have to learn to withstand the pain of letting your stomach shrink, but if you don't have a heart condition, and need to be careful, the way I have always managed the problem of hunger is through exercise, pushing yourself through the pain of exercise, takes your mind off your hunger, and the more you set aside time in your day to do this, the more weight you will lose. We are for the most part, made for exercise, it helps our mental well-being and our ability to function in life.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Go into a Kwik Triip/Star and take a look around too.

They actually have things like carrots/bananas and other healthy food for below or at prices for a bag of chips/candy but the chips and candy is everwhere with all sorts of options while the rest seems almost hidden.

The same goes for full on grocery stores.
The folks who mass produced the bad food to feed the addiction knew what they were doing.

I have to pay extra for my Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter. Ingredients: "Peanuts and 1% or less of salt"

Here's the peanut butter we feed our kids:

1e69df48-1f70-4bf6-a1b6-60afb40f7fe8.ab0f9f88d3ebfe6e397707c190251311.jpeg

Reactions: clonechemist

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron