Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Checking in at 5'8", closing in on 270 lbs.

I walk the dog one to two miles a day, but that's clearly not enough.

I got myself an under-the-desk treadmills. My employer provided a desk that has standing capability when I went remote. I can slide the treadmill under the desk and get a couple walks in during the workday.

I set it up over the weekend, and used it for the first time today. My goal starting out is just to use it. Starting out I don't want to set certain "use it this many times a day for this long" goals that I know I won't meet and then get discouraged.

Reactions: NWICY

Mar 21, 2021

I got myself an under-the-desk treadmills. My employer provided a desk that has standing capability when I went remote. I can slide the treadmill under the desk and get a couple walks in during the workday.

I set it up over the weekend, and used it for the first time today. My goal starting out is just to use it. Starting out I don't want to set certain "use it this many times a day for this long" goals that I know I won't meet and then get discouraged.
IMO, exercise, or lack thereof, isn't the main driver of rampant obesity and chronic disease in western world. Improper nutrition is. It drives metabolic disease. Metabolic syndrome is the modern diagnosis of this modern 'disease'. It drives obesity, heart disease, some cancers, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimers (aka type 3 diabetes), fatty liver, PCOS, and much more. Metabolic syndrome is diagnosed when patient has 3 or more of the following:
1) Low HDL cholesterol
2) Elevated triglycerides
3) Elevated weight (waist/height ratio > 0.5x)
4) Elevated fasting blood glucose
5) Elevated blood pressure or taking meds to lower it

Only 12% of Americans are metabolically healthy:

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
For the first time in my life I'm 210... All my medium shirts are too small..

Trending in the wrong direction for sure.

Late night snacking and my new job has me sitting at my desk all day.. Any tips for snacking after 8?

Tomorrow i am going to block two recurring 15 minutes walk sessions a day. What else has helped people at work be more active?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

What you eat is going to be what decides if you're successful. You can exercise all day long but if you're not eating a good diet then it won't change much.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Late night snacking and my new job has me sitting at my desk all day.. Any tips for snacking after 8?

Tomorrow i am going to block two recurring 15 minutes walk sessions a day. What else has helped people at work be more active?

Bananas.

Or (being snarky but there's also truth to it) don't snack after 8.

Reactions: drmwevr08

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
IMO, exercise, or lack thereof, isn't the main driver of rampant obesity and chronic disease in western world. Improper nutrition is. It drives metabolic disease. Metabolic syndrome is the modern diagnosis of this modern 'disease'. It drives obesity, heart disease, some cancers, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimers (aka type 3 diabetes), fatty liver, PCOS, and much more. Metabolic syndrome is diagnosed when patient has 3 or more of the following:
1) Low HDL cholesterol
2) Elevated triglycerides
3) Elevated weight (waist/height ratio > 0.5x)
4) Elevated fasting blood glucose
5) Elevated blood pressure or taking meds to lower it

Only 12% of Americans are metabolically healthy:

What you eat is going to be what decides if you're successful. You can exercise all day long but if you're not eating a good diet then it won't change much.
I'll be the first to admit that I've never been a healthy eater, but now having a toddler, it's convenient (more easy than convenient really) to have the chicken nuggets and mac & cheese the kid is having than to make something completely different every meal.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'll be the first to admit that I've never been a healthy eater, but now having a toddler, it's convenient (more easy than convenient really) to have the chicken nuggets and mac & cheese the kid is having than to make something completely different every meal.
Get yourself a reds and greens drink mix. Make yourself a chicken breast. Have a glass of veggies using the drink mix. Easy, healthy, fast.

• Informative
Reactions: RING4CY

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Once you figure out how much exercise it will take to burn off an unhealthy food item, you realize it’s easier to eat something healthier than trying to burn it off exercising.
In the oven, cook a chicken breast and some vegetables drizzled with olive oil and bake it for about 10-12 minutes longer than the chicken nuggets. Sprinkle some salt, pepper and garlic seasoning over the chicken and veggies.

Last edited:
Reactions: madguy30

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It’s not easy, but making something a bit healthier for the toddler that all can eat gets the child an early start on good nutrition.

I would always cave to one questionable item but not the meal. So chicken nuggets with fresh veggies and fruits. Grilled cheese but not on white bread.

Reactions: tman24 and 2122

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Get yourself a reds and greens drink mix. Make yourself a chicken breast. Have a glass of veggies using the drink mix. Easy, healthy, fast.

Once you figure out how much exercise it will take to burn off an unhealthy food item, you realize it’s easier to eat something healthier than trying to burn it off exercising.

In the oven, cook a chicken breast and some vegetables drizzled with olive oil and bake it for about 10-12 minutes longer than the chicken nuggets. Sprinkle some salt, pepper and garlic seasoning over the chicken and veggies.
Do love me some chicken. Appreciate the suggestions.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It’s not easy, but making something a bit healthier for the toddler that all can eat gets the child an early start on good nutrition.

I would always cave to one questionable item but not the meal. So chicken nuggets with fresh veggies and fruits. Grilled cheese but not on white bread.
Even on nights where we give her chicken nuggets and mac & cheese, we make sure to include a fruit and vegetable with each meal.

Eating fruits has never been an issue for me. Vegetables on the other hand has been a big struggle.

Reactions: carvers4math

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Bolded: I fry the same all together in a pan in 15ish minutes with very little work besides flipping the chicken and veggies over after it cooks one side.

Probably repeating but my go to from Costco (that I need to get back to as I've put on a touch of weight recently), might be $1.50 total per meal.
Olive oil in first,

2 of these (can be pan fried from frozen)
Kirkland Signature Chicken Tenderloins ...
A handful of these:

Kirkland Signature Normandy-Style ...

With some of this sprinkled on all as it cooks.

Krazy Original Mixed-Up Salt 4 oz ...

Reactions: ScottyP

tman24

Feb 6, 2008

Kids eat better than I do because I make them a plate with protein veg and fruit every time.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought I'd bump the thread with some inspirational humor.

In real life I think I should be taking a week or so off. Something musculoskeletal is making my thumb and fingers slightly numb, Right shoulder and neck are sort of wound up as is right rotator cuff.

View attachment 127752

And turns out it's impingement of the C-5 nerve. So, not working out right now with any weights.. No bike riding. Thankful for any night I can actually sleep. This is sort of sucking so far.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Kids eat better than I do because I make them a plate with protein veg and fruit every time.
Yeah I learned some things from them. They all liked raw asparagus. Go figure, I do too but never thought of doing that until they snacked on it at a friend’s house.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
And turns out it's impingement of the C-5 nerve. So, not working out right now with any weights.. No bike riding. Thankful for any night I can actually sleep. This is sort of sucking so far.
Was just going to post that I think people would be shocked at how much better and stronger they feel after getting fixed by a chiropractor. I can absolutely tell when something gets off and I need an adjustment. I start dragging and my workouts get tougher/less intense. Was literally just thinking today how I can’t imagine how a person can handle not getting fixed. Nerve impingement and musculoskeletal issues have to be a major cause of weight gain.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Was just going to post that I think people would be shocked at how much better and stronger they feel after getting fixed by a chiropractor. I can absolutely tell when something gets off and I need an adjustment. I start dragging and my workouts get tougher/less intense. Was literally just thinking today how I can’t imagine how a person can handle not getting fixed. Nerve impingement and musculoskeletal issues have to be a major cause of weight gain.
Please don’t promote quack science

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Those aren't mass quantities of bad food which is a major cause of weight gain.

Do you do yoga? Or does your chiro send you to PT to help keep things aligned?

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010

Brushing teeth and mouthwash curbs the desire to eat for me