Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is probably somewhere in the 100 pages but that seems hard to search. Started having some aching/pain in my right shoulder the past week. Feels deep within the joint. Aches at rest off and on, not worse by lifting arm overhead and don't really notice it while working out. Do notice it after. Which is dangerous because I can convince myself it's fine to keep working out. Upped my dumbbells in late January so IDK if my form is bad or what. Left arm totally fine. The other thing I can think of is that I read my Kindle a lot at night and typically leaned on my right arm, probably dropping my shoulder a bunch.

IDK if this is rotator stuff or something else? Probably need to go back to PT but she's booked several weeks out and I'm trying to decide if it's safe to keep working out (and drop down weight) or if I'm ******* up this shoulder.

Pain is not anything I'm taking ibuprofen or such for. Not near to that level yet but want to avoid it getting worse.

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is probably somewhere in the 100 pages but that seems hard to search. Started having some aching/pain in my right shoulder the past week. Feels deep within the joint. Aches at rest off and on, not worse by lifting arm overhead and don't really notice it while working out. Do notice it after. Which is dangerous because I can convince myself it's fine to keep working out. Upped my dumbbells in late January so IDK if my form is bad or what. Left arm totally fine. The other thing I can think of is that I read my Kindle a lot at night and typically leaned on my right arm, probably dropping my shoulder a bunch.

IDK if this is rotator stuff or something else? Probably need to go back to PT but she's booked several weeks out and I'm trying to decide if it's safe to keep working out (and drop down weight) or if I'm ******* up this shoulder.

Pain is not anything I'm taking ibuprofen or such for. Not near to that level yet but want to avoid it getting worse.

I've had pain a lot like this. Off and on for quite some time.

For me it always comes back to lifting. I anger the joint with too much work and then I have to show the shoulder who's boss. Up the weight and beat it into submission.

Since that has never worked well for me....I stay away from overhead press or side raise stuff until it chills.

Now I only do a few sets that directly target the shoulder. I still train them, but I try to be smarter.

I've had fewer issues since I got an adjustable bed and sleep mostly on my back, but it's not a good pain when it shows up. That dull ache that won't leave

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
From a strength training standpoint, are there some programs out there that can be done with dumbbells at home? I think a structured program would be an improvement but I don't want to invest heavily into a home gym setup or gym membership. I also don't have the time to go to a gym with three young kids.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
From a strength training standpoint, are there some programs out there that can be done with dumbbells at home? I think a structured program would be an improvement but I don't want to invest heavily into a home gym setup or gym membership. I also don't have the time to go to a gym with three young kids.

YouTube is full of dumbbell workouts.

With a decent amount of weight you can make very good progress with the dumbbells.

Chest press. Back rows. Overhead press (within reason....see above) and lunges get you a good, total body foundation.

Reactions: ScottyP and MJ29

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Adjustable dumbbells and a bench should be all you need and then there's lots of online programs or videos that may help to build a routine/structure.

I like getting out the house to go to a gym but the gym is also close by so I frequent often enough to make it worth it.

Reactions: ScottyP

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

As Knapp said, there are a ton of resources on YouTube. I use the Peloton app. It's $25/month to access unlimited classes (cycling, walking, strength, yoga, etc.). If you didn't want any of the cycling/running classes, you could probably get by with the $13/month option.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Here's one as an example. If you hit the compound moves you'll see results. Consistency and intensity.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm looking to get down to 210 (currently 236) by early August. 26 lbs in 4 months. It seems to me that it's a realistic amount to lose for the period of time, but just making sure that it's not some unrealistic/unsustainable goal.

I want to get down to 200 by the end of harvest and maintain around there for awhile before trying to go lower. I've been hovering between 230-240 for at least a decade so I think once I actually lose the weight I gained in the years I lived in Des Moines right after ISU, I'll be able to maintain it with the same lifestyle I have today (I haven't really gained weight in years, but never lose either).

I was 250 as a senior in HS and got down to 200 in about a 6 month period following my senior football season. Obviously I'm not going to lose weight as fast as I did back then, but I think losing half that amount in 4 months isn't crazy. When I actually make myself get on the scale once or twice a week, I absolutely eat less and tend to lose weight. I exercise a lot, but I f*ckin' love food (the post-work/pre-dinner munchies are my absolute death knell), so I know it's mostly going to come from being disciplined on my diet. The good news is that any time I've actually gotten my ass on the scale, I get results. It's just hard to make myself get on the scale once I backslide for a period of time.

Reactions: Althetuna and MJ29

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Here's one as an example. If you hit the compound moves you'll see results. Consistency and intensity.

I actually did this exact one this morning. I have a pull-up bar with a resistance band tied to it for some assisted pull-ups that I did after the workout video. I almost over-did it on the overhead press so I'll need to be careful (previous posts didn't help my worries). My shoulders are going to feel it tomorrow.

The MindPump guys do a really good job of explaining things. I'm not as big of a fan of their tangents as it can get a little weird/sideways (especially Sal).

Last edited:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I actually did this exact one this morning.

There are a ton of them. I looked at one this morning. Thought "oh hell no" and moved to the next.

Body Beast has a brutal total body ladder workout. It's a bastard, but mostly a weighted cardio deal.

Squat, Squat to overhead press, deadlift, row, pushup. (Think I'm missing a move). 1 to 8 reps and back down if I remember correctly

A real son of a *****, but I'm trying to stay away from workouts that leave me contemplating death.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
There are a ton of them. I looked at one this morning. Thought "oh hell no" and moved to the next.

Body Beast has a brutal total body ladder workout. It's a bastard, but mostly a weighted cardio deal.

Squat, Squat to overhead press, deadlift, row, pushup. (Think I'm missing a move). 1 to 8 reps and back down if I remember correctly

A real son of a *****, but I'm trying to stay away from workouts that leave me contemplating death.
The MindPump guys regularly mention that if you feel exhausted/death after a workout, you are overtraining.
I do a lot of HasFit videos right now, which are great, but I tend to forget which ones I've done recently and want to make sure I'm not repeating workouts too much.

Maybe I can find some online workout programs that are free to incorporate into my routine.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
The MindPump guys regularly mention that if you feel exhausted/death after a workout, you are overtraining.
I do a lot of HasFit videos right now, which are great, but I tend to forget which ones I've done recently and want to make sure I'm not repeating workouts too much.

Maybe I can find some online workout programs that are free to incorporate into my routine.

After??? What about during?

I keep fooling around with total body splits or dividing work across the week. I want 12 sets of a move. I've tried spreading that out over a 6 day week too vs 2 upper days.

Trying to find the right balance of rest, work, and incorporate cardio while a 4 and 2 year old throw dinosaurs at me when they aren't fighting or "forgetting to wipe" after a deuce....

This, America, is life.

Reactions: ScottyP and MJ29

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have lost about 35 lbs and work out almost every day. I am not overweight anymore and my doc says my HDL and LDL and are still messed up. Any tips on better Cholesterol levels? I have changed my diet as well.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I have lost about 35 lbs and work out almost every day. I am not overweight anymore and my doc says my HDL and LDL and are still messed up. Any tips on better Cholesterol levels? I have changed my diet as well.

You said you've changed your diet, but don't mention how. The obvious answer is limiting trans fats and eating more healthy fats (nuts, nut butters, avocado, etc.). Also, increasing fiber helps a lot of areas. Probably helps cholesterol too.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You said you've changed your diet, but don't mention how. The obvious answer is limiting trans fats and eating more healthy fats (nuts, nut butters, avocado, etc.). Also, increasing fiber helps a lot of areas. Probably helps cholesterol too.
I take fiber daily and limit processed foods. Eat fruits and veggies with most meals. very little ground meat and lots of salads. I do have a couple eggs every day but that should screw up my cholesterol as bad as it is.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I take fiber daily and limit processed foods. Eat fruits and veggies with most meals. very little ground meat and lots of salads. I do have a couple eggs every day but that should screw up my cholesterol as bad as it is.

You say you take a fiber supplement, and it sounds like you're eating foods with fiber in them, however do you know the actual amounts? My dr recommended 30 g of fiber for me per day. When I started tracking, I realized I was highly deficient (12-15 g). I was dismayed at how little fiber was in salads (as I thought I was doing great there). Getting to 30 g, at first, was very difficult, but I quickly figured out which foods will give me the biggest fiber boost and I try to work them in daily. I use an app to track my macros. Maybe some people can just wing it in their heads, but I have to see actual numbers for it to work for me.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
You say you take a fiber supplement, and it sounds like you're eating foods with fiber in them, however do you know the actual amounts? My dr recommended 30 g of fiber for me per day. When I started tracking, I realized I was highly deficient (12-15 g). I was dismayed at how little fiber was in salads (as I thought I was doing great there). Getting to 30 g, at first, was very difficult, but I quickly figured out which foods will give me the biggest fiber boost and I try to work them in daily. I use an app to track my macros. Maybe some people can just wing it in their heads, but I have to see actual numbers for it to work for me.
I'll check it out. Awhile back I over did it with fiber and had an... issue. I thought I was going to give birth one day because I was so backed up. So I am a little gunshy to induce too much fiber.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Which foods do you try to eat to get that fiber boost?

Also, what app do you use for tracking macros. I use MyFitnessPal, but it doesn't track fiber.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

Also, what app do you use for tracking macros. I use MyFitnessPal, but it doesn't track fiber.

I use LoseIt! to track. I paid for the premium (waited for a sale so it was $20/year) so I can see a bit more information, but the free version works fine as well.

My favorite fiber sources:
Carb Balance Mission burrito tortillas - 28 g fiber (I use them for burritos, wraps, and breakfast quesadillas)
Reduced sugar Ocean Spray cranberries - 10 g fiber in 1/4 c (I pair it with some almonds -- which also have fiber -- for a little snack)
Olipop soda - 9 g fiber in most cans. The grape and crisp apple are my faves, but the root beer isn't bad.
Popcorn - 3 g fiber per serving (which is about 2-2.5 c)
Raspberries - 8 g fiber per cup
Apples - 4-5 g fiber per
Chia seeds - 10 g in 1 tbsp (I add them to my overnight oats)
Oats - 4 g in 1/2 c

Those are some of my staples. Hope that helps!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I could always see it on mine and I didn't have a paid subscription. It won't show in the easy macros but in the nutrition detail.

• Informative

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron