Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Down 11 since the start of the year. Got disciplined on my breakfasts and lunches during the work week and not overdoing it on the weekends. Not really exercising, just watching what I eat and keeping the alcohol and snacks to a minimum. 4 to go for goal, then reevaluation time.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Down 11 since the start of the year. Got disciplined on my breakfasts and lunches during the work week and not overdoing it on the weekends. Not really exercising, just watching what I eat and keeping the alcohol and snacks to a minimum. 4 to go for goal, then reevaluation time.

Alcohol is by far the biggest factor for me. My diet isn’t the greatest and I enjoy pop, but when I started cutting out 80% of my previous alcohol intake, that’s where I saw the biggest weight loss/muscle gain.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I have a question for the group. I've been lifting weights pretty regularly for the better part of 30 years. I am by no means a body builder, but I love the feeling I get from lifting. Even when growing up on a dairy farm I always fought with my brothers for the heavy manual labor jobs over the "spend time fixing this broken machine" stuff. Anyway, I am wondering if it is time I quit. My body, now that I am near 50, is sore a lot and some old lifting injuries are rearing their head (sore shoulders, back, knees really hate squats, etc.).

I've had a few docs tell me over the years to switch to yoga. It builds strength and improves movement and flexibility, but I am afraid doing so will cause my muscles to shrink. I don't want to get smaller though losing a few pounds would be good.

Anyone make such a switch? I understand much of my hang up is vanity, and that is very difficult to overcome, but I do feel pretty beat up a lot. For the record I am on week 8 of LIIFT4, which I really like, but I am finding I don't have the necessary weights any longer and, you know, hurting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have a question for the group. I've been lifting weights pretty regularly for the better part of 30 years. I am by no means a body builder, but I love the feeling I get from lifting. Even when growing up on a dairy farm I always fought with my brothers for the heavy manual labor jobs over the "spend time fixing this broken machine" stuff. Anyway, I am wondering if it is time I quit. My body, now that I am near 50, is sore a lot and some old lifting injuries are rearing their head (sore shoulders, back, knees really hate squats, etc.).

I've had a few docs tell me over the years to switch to yoga. It builds strength and improves movement and flexibility, but I am afraid doing so will cause my muscles to shrink. I don't want to get smaller though losing a few pounds would be good.

Anyone make such a switch? I understand much of my hang up is vanity, and that is very difficult to overcome, but I do feel pretty beat up a lot. For the record I am on week 8 of LIIFT4, which I really like, but I am finding I don't have the necessary weights any longer and, you know, hurting.

Do both.

If done right and targeting the right areas, Yoga might help you be able to keep on lifting.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Not sure I would give up the weights unless you're really in some pain.

I'm roughly the same age and I've had success building strength. This is something we will battle more and more as we age.

The main change I made was around 30. I did some heavy lifting. PR stuff on my 30th birthday, but then decided the 49ers weren't calling and stopped pushing weight like I was training for ball.

Fewer reps/sets but quality. Intense and challenging. I did LIIFT4 twice and had a tremendous amount of shoulder pain at the end of each. Beachbody weight training may not be the right road to take, but there is still an effective path forward.

Check out the Mind Body Pump guys on YouTube. They say do as little as possible that gets results. Beachbody (Body Beast included) seems to have a lot of junk reps and not enough rest.

Reactions: BigTurk and MJ29

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013

I'm roughly the same age and I've had success building strength. This is something we will battle more and more as we age.

The main change I made was around 30. I did some heavy lifting. PR stuff on my 30th birthday, but then decided the 49ers weren't calling and stopped pushing weight like I was training for ball.

Fewer reps/sets but quality. Intense and challenging. I did LIIFT4 twice and had a tremendous amount of shoulder pain at the end of each. Beachbody weight training may not be the right road to take, but there is still an effective path forward.

Check out the Mind Body Pump guys on YouTube. They say do as little as possible that gets results. Beachbody (Body Beast included) seems to have a lot of junk reps and not enough rest.
I will check them out. Thank you. The other issue I have, which I did not originally mention is time. My daily commute is long enough that I don't have a ton of time each day/week to spend lifting and yoga-ing. LIIFT4 is great because 30-40 mins four times a week is great. Again, I will check out the Mind Body Pump guys.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008

This is interesting. I definitely wouldn't give up resistance training. However, I wonder if you would benefit from a more of a functional training program? You can do a lot with a variety of push-ups (regular, under the fence, one leg up, one arm head-level/chest level, etc.), lunges, squats, medicine ball throws/rotations, planks, etc. And then stretching. I am REALLY bad at taking time for stretching.

I see that you mentioned LIIFT4. I have no idea what that is, but I see that it's affiliated with Beachbody. The basic Beachbody workouts with really light weights and body weight exercises are really good.

Also might consider consulting with a good physical therapist.

Reactions: MJ29 and BigTurk

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I think yoga certainly strengthens and tones muscles. I have neglected my yoga for a couple of weeks taking care of my dog who had CCL surgery, and even though I have been lifting him a lot, I feel a bit of a loss already in flexibility.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

I think adding in yoga should help with some of the pain by improving flexibility but you should definitely not stop lifting. Especially if it is something you love. Maybe just look into alternative programs or different exercises that help strengthen areas that will help you get less sore or lighten the load on areas that are susceptible to being sore.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I will check them out. Thank you. The other issue I have, which I did not originally mention is time. My daily commute is long enough that I don't have a ton of time each day/week to spend lifting and yoga-ing. LIIFT4 is great because 30-40 mins four times a week is great. Again, I will check out the Mind Body Pump guys.

You don't need to spend hours in the gym to get results. The amount of time is surprisingly low to maintain. A few sets a week just for maintenance.

I'm trying to maximize rest now. 2 short-ish 5x5 workouts during the week. Upper and lower. Compound movements. 30-35 minutes on the very high end. (Damn Bulgarians take some time).

Weekends I have more fun and incorporate other moves. Hit the core compound moves and then add on goblet squats or lat pull downs or bi/tri movements.

I've gotten the chest press up to a point I've had to purchase more weight. Legs making strides. Even arm strength without multiple isolation movements.

At our age it's time to eliminate the junk volume. Consider iso moves (tri-con is a mother ******). Rest the joints. Maximize recovery

The 49ers aren't calling

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Never quit strength/resistance training. Modify to suit your age. Of course, if you are injured, take a break.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

Don’t stop lifting just change how your lifting. If an exercise hurts don’t do it. Don’t follow a specific program set by someone else because that is how you’re going to get hurt. If squats hurt don’t do them.

If you have lingering injury issues go see ortho. They will tell you your options and what you should be avoiding.

Yoga is extremely important as you age to maintain the flexibility to help with those joints, back, and also for balance.

You also probably need to change the frequency that your lifting and incorporating other activities in days off. If time is tight grab some things that you can do at home to maximize your time.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

I'm in a similar boat, 46 yrs old and really only lifting for about 4 years now but can really start to feel some issues (elbow/shoulder/knee). I've spent the last 6-8 months lifting heavy, "bulking" with my nutrition and the weight I'm lifting. I have to say, I've never been stronger or bigger. I'm what most would call a "hard gainer" but I look very different than I did 4 years ago.

But I've really made the decision over the last several weeks that I just don't think the "bulking" lifting heavy thing is going to work out for me at this point. I started lifting much lighter weights a few weeks ago and can already feel a difference. Lighter weight, more reps...thats the move after 40-45 imho.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

You can cut down significantly on intensity and still maintain current size/performance. Lots of studies verify this. Making gains is hard, but keeping them is fairly easy. And remember even competitive bodybuilders, powerlifters and strongman take "deload" weeks every couple months just to get some extra recovery.

Or just switch your program. Things get stale, and fatigue and demotivation are signs that you may need something new even if it's not easier.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I'm just getting back to CF from being off during Lent. I didn't do very well nutrition-wise on Easter but trying to get back into things after overeating and having some candy. I've really tried to cut down on sugar, but allowed myself a cheat day and also over-ate at a family gathering. It will be hard not eat any more candy with all of the leftover Easter candy in the house. We might have to hide it a bit for my sake.

I'm down about 50lbs since September and only have about 10 pounds left to reach my goal body weight. I'm trying to balance being happy where I'm at and not pushing things while understanding that those last 10 pounds can be the hardest to lose and not letting up too much. I need to focus a little more on building muscle as I've lost a bit while trying to lose fat. I've been doing some strength training regularly and feel stronger, but my recent body comp DEXA scan showed I lost about three pounds of muscle in addition to the fat I've lost. Thus, my reduction in body fat % wasn't as big as I'd hoped (only 1.2% drop).

Regarding strength training, I use PowerBlock dumbbells and use HasFit videos on Youtube, I'm getting closer to reaching the upper limit on my weights during certain exercises (bent over rows, chest presses). My version of PowerBlocks aren't expandable like other versions. Should I invest in some other strength training equipment or consider a more formal program to improve my strength? I have three young kids so getting to the gym is a little too challenging schedule-wise.