Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
You can get 240 servings of ON mono for $65 on Amazon right now. It's incredibly cheap compared to just about any other supplement. I almost think it's foolish not to take it if you strength train in any way.
I pay .22 a serving for creatine and 1.17 a serving of 30g protein when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nader_uggghhh

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have used Trutein now for several years and love it. They have had the best flavors for shakes and a morning shake keeps me full even through lunch.

On the plus side, its very Keto friendly.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I have used Trutein now for several years and love it. They have had the best flavors for shakes and a morning shake keeps me full even through lunch.

On the plus side, its very Keto friendly.

Seems like a good one from the nutrition facts. For people out looking for protein supplements remember that a gram of protein is 4 calories, so if your shake is saying it’s 25g of protein per serving you want the calorie count to be around 120-130at most. Anything extra is just drinking extra calories which messes up calorie density and your bodies signals for satiety

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I used to do whey protein but made the switch to Orgains plant based protein and my digestive system thanks me. My wife was also appreciative of the switch lol. It tastes good and in my Internet browsing shouldn't really make any difference? from whey. In case anyone also has issues with whey or casein (that one REALLY f'd me up).

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Casein can make for a great late night snack. It mixes well and has a almost pudding like consistency. Super cold water mixed with chocolate peanut butter casein is almost dessert for me.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I used to do whey protein but made the switch to Orgains plant based protein and my digestive system thanks me. My wife was also appreciative of the switch lol. It tastes good and in my Internet browsing shouldn't really make any difference? from whey. In case anyone also has issues with whey or casein (that one REALLY f'd me up).
Do you tolerate dairy very well? I'm wondering if you should consider cutting out some other dairy products and see if that helps out even more?

Whey proteins is great for most people, but if your body doesn't tolerate it, finding a great plant based protein is a great alternative as long as it comes from a mixture of plant sources to get a more complete protein.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Fiberlax is great stuff.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
You can get 240 servings of ON mono for $65 on Amazon right now. It's incredibly cheap compared to just about any other supplement. I almost think it's foolish not to take it if you strength train in any way.
Per serving it's cheap, but my wife just sees the $65 price tag. And I choose to spend that money on whey instead to help ensure I'm hitting my protein intake. Not a battle I'm willing to fight right now.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Do you tolerate dairy very well? I'm wondering if you should consider cutting out some other dairy products and see if that helps out even more?

Whey proteins is great for most people, but if your body doesn't tolerate it, finding a great plant based protein is a great alternative as long as it comes from a mixture of plant sources to get a more complete protein.
I do not. I've cut a lot of dairy out of my life. Only dairy I consistently have is Greek yogurt. Cheese also but I limit that. I have ice cream like once a year and then am promptly reminded why I don't have it lol

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I do not. I've cut a lot of dairy out of my life. Only dairy I consistently have is Greek yogurt. Cheese also but I limit that. I have ice cream like once a year and then am promptly reminded why I don't have it lol
I've read that as cheese ages the lactose content decreases. So things like mozzarella may not be good, but sharp cheddar or parmesan or Swiss are probably tolerable for most people.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Seems like a good one from the nutrition facts. For people out looking for protein supplements remember that a gram of protein is 4 calories, so if your shake is saying it’s 25g of protein per serving you want the calorie count to be around 120-130at most. Anything extra is just drinking extra calories which messes up calorie density and your bodies signals for satiety
I thought you want 20-40g protein every 2-3h? I aim for 150g a day and am trying to gain weight so not worried about calories. I mix my protein with 2% milk to hit about 40g for that 2-3h window.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Per serving it's cheap, but my wife just sees the $65 price tag. And I choose to spend that money on whey instead to help ensure I'm hitting my protein intake. Not a battle I'm willing to fight right now.
I'm not married, but I feel your pain. I just like the idea of being able to do more reps in a workout, and the potential cognitive benefits are icing on the cake. As I remember, you're more into powerlifting. The capacity gains probably aren't as important to you as strength, so creatine might not be necessary anyway.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I try to focus on 1 gram per pound of ideal body weight so I try to get 150 grams per day. Even though some animal proteins can have a bit more fat, I find that the protein and fat fill me up and keep me feeling full throughout the day. Adding in fiber and more water and my cravings are very low.

Reactions: madguy30

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I thought you want 20-40g protein every 2-3h? I aim for 150g a day and am trying to gain weight so not worried about calories. I mix my protein with 2% milk to hit about 40g for that 2-3h window.
Depends entirely on the person and their goals. The recommendations for that kind of thing are always in flux. An RD that focuses on that area would know more then I do on that topic

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm not married, but I feel your pain. I just like the idea of being able to do more reps in a workout, and the potential cognitive benefits are icing on the cake. As I remember, you're more into powerlifting. The capacity gains probably aren't as important to you as strength, so creatine might not be necessary anyway.
There's still a benefit in using creatine when goals are strength vs size, but without getting enough protein the creatine won't be as effective.

First priority is to work hard enough to drive adaptations and then rest/eat enough to recover. That alone will get most people close to their genetic potential. So protein is the first "recommended" supplement. Then you can add creatine. Then any other supplements you want (though most are a waste of money). That will get most people even closer to their genetic potential. Beyond that you're looking at PEDs.

But you can spend years making progress just with weights, food and sleep, and decades of progress with a little extra protein and some creatine. If you're not making progress, first check your workout to see if you're working hard enough. If you are, then check your sleep and nutrition. Most people can start making gains again just by adjusting those first three.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
There's still a benefit in using creatine when goals are strength vs size, but without getting enough protein the creatine won't be as effective.

First priority is to work hard enough to drive adaptations and then rest/eat enough to recover. That alone will get most people close to their genetic potential. So protein is the first "recommended" supplement. Then you can add creatine. Then any other supplements you want (though most are a waste of money). That will get most people even closer to their genetic potential. Beyond that you're looking at PEDs.

But you can spend years making progress just with weights, food and sleep, and decades of progress with a little extra protein and some creatine. If you're not making progress, first check your workout to see if you're working hard enough. If you are, then check your sleep and nutrition. Most people can start making gains again just by adjusting those first three.
Well said.

I struggle daily with getting enough sleep, and it is no doubt the single biggest thing holding back my training potential/gains, along with energy levels, mood swings, etc. I feel good about my diet and other healthy exercise habits for the most part, but continuously find ways to stay up too late (kids, working, stress, phone, Cyclone Fanatic browsing) - even on the days when I focus intently on sleep. One day, I hope to figure it out...

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017

Fully agree with all of this. Any proven program will lend itself to results. Proper intensity, nutrition and sleep will maximize those results. It really is amazing how the human body can be forced to adapt, whether it be progressive overload from weight or capacity.

The bro bulk/cut lends itself well to me because I like to do a ton of reps and go to failure. It would be fun to take that mindset to crossfit and try to maximize actual fitness/vo2 max. The same principles always apply.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Well said.

I struggle daily with getting enough sleep, and it is no doubt the single biggest thing holding back my training potential/gains, along with energy levels, mood swings, etc. I feel good about my diet and other healthy exercise habits for the most part, but continuously find ways to stay up too late (kids, working, stress, phone, Cyclone Fanatic browsing) - even on the days when I focus intently on sleep. One day, I hope to figure it out...
It’s a struggle for many. Gotta turn all screens off an hour before bedtime and set up a regular bed time routine. Get that sub conscious working in your favor. Easier said then done but works when applied correctly.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
From what I understand, Unless you're an ultra competitive body builder I wouldn't worry about timing. Just get what the daily amount you need in per day whatever way is easiest for you.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron