Here comes the doomsday thread, sorry

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If NCAA membership doesn't agree to their reforms, the SEC and Big Ten have the leverage to take their 34 teams and stage their own national championship. The networks and the market itself have told them that is possible, and it's a path which SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has already hinted at in the past.

That is just posturing for negotiating leverage. "Give bigger shares to who gets in, so that the SEC gets more cash, or maybe we will take our ball and go home."

I don't think they'd do it, but it's basically putting the ACC, Big12, G5 on notice that the SEC (and B1G) are in charge, so don't make a big fuss or else.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
He's not wrong, but leading his argument with players rights at the forefront of his "be careful what you wish for" list, is bull ****, as far as I'm concerned. College sports are in the place they are because of greed, first and foremost. It all starts there. Conferences wanting to have all of the benefits of rampant capitalism, with none of the drawbacks that the rest of the world have to deal with.

"People sure have been banging the drum for change, and I don't necessarily disagree, but if you want these 'player rights' don't be surprised when the price of cotton goes up."

He could just as easily have cited the dramatic rise in coach and staff salaries, or the facilities arms race, or any of the realignment waves that have hit in the last 25 years, to make the same point, but I take issue with him putting player rights front and center. They're not to blame when they see the people at the top reap a windfall and ask for something for themselves.
Agree 100%. We just wanted players not to get suspended for selling their jerseys or having a fan pay for their cheeseburger. Let them cash a check for having their likeness in a video game or starring in a local commercial.

Pate should’ve said, “The people who made king’s ransom on the backs of its uncompensated workforce have now decided to double down and pull up the ladder behind them at the expense of the fans and detriment of dozens of universities. The fallout will be unforgivable.”

I generally like Pate, but spare me with the “general well-being of college athletics” talk.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Sorry if this has already been covered. When this eventual split occurs, we have to hope that someone besides ESPN picks up the tv contracts of everyone not SEC and B1G, right? I have to imagine ESPN is going make the casual viewer subscribe to all of their content in order to watch an ISU game, meaning that we'd have have to support the semi-pro league to see an ISU game.

I want an option to avoid throwing any money to support this mess. Fox would have the most in place to take it over, but is there any talk of them or someone like Apple/Peacock/Amazon jumping fully into the mix?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Facinated to see how this develops. Will each confrence make their own union, will there be a larger "all encompassing" union, will there be consquences on "leaving" the union (i.e. transfering), etc. Will be a cool case study to review in 10 years from now. I'm not a big fan of unions in general, but i do believe that this might be a great use for this time & place.
I feel like a union only works for the schools if there is 1 union that covers all players for teams that compete against each other. If there are multiple unions, then it would seem like a one sided Collective Bargaining Agreement that benefits the student-athletes.

Also a single union would prevent Conferences bidding against each other for the best players. I get the feeling the NCAA is done and Conferences will be responsible for sport governance.

I believe employee status is the only way to create transparency and governance related to recruiting, NIL and player movement. The only question I have, can anything stop the current pay-for-play recruitment payments?

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Sorry if this has already been covered. When this eventual split occurs, we have to hope that someone besides ESPN picks up the tv contracts of everyone not SEC and B1G, right? I have to imagine ESPN is going make the casual viewer subscribe to all of their content in order to watch an ISU game, meaning that we'd have have to support the semi-pro league to see an ISU game.

I want an option to avoid throwing any money to support this mess. Fox would have the most in place to take it over, but is there any talk of them or someone like Apple/Peacock/Amazon jumping fully into the mix?
We'll be like the Pac bragging how Scripps, CW, and other loser channels are interested in the Big 12. Fun times ahead.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
The criteria they used to rule that the Dartmouth players were employees was that they were compensated which makes a clear distinction from high school players, but private high schools might have to watch the issue.

I wonder if each school will have a different union or each conference or each sport . I think there could be room for a large union to replace many of the NCAA functions.

Sep 10, 2015
Especially since Northwestern Football players tried to unionize back in 2015 and the same NLRB stepped in to prohibit.
That’s very true, but so much has changed since 2015. Here’s a good Dennis Dodd article published today about how much has changed, as well as a summary of all of the current lawsuits the NCAA is facing. For instance I didn’t realize they are being sued for NIL backpay that the NCAA prevented athletes from earning in the past, with damages of potentially $4 billion.

And to the point about how much has changed since 2015, according to this article the reason some teams are against the new NCAA proposal to pay the players all $30k each, is because they want to pay the players more than that, not less.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Think this will be good for the Big 12. The Big 12 "channel" is ESPN+. Now it will be better accessed.
I am skeptical such a platform will be good for Big12 fans. Instead of just paying $10/mo for ESPN+, My gut feeling is this hub will cost in the ballpark of YouTube TV, Hulu or FUBO. That might be OK for people who are just interested in sports plus a service like Netflix. But not attractive if someone's family requires a YTTV/Hulu/FUBOTV plus this Hub plus Netflix, Apple, etc.

Reactions: PickSix

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Good way to lock in big 12 fans to contribute to the other channels as access to the bigger TV deals erodes.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Saw one expert’s CFP teams- 1 Big XII, 3 BIG, 2 G5, 1 ACC, and 5 SEC. Surprise, surprise!
There is absolutely no way there would ever be 2 G5. Ever.

Despite what some people say either the Big 12 or ACC gets 2 in more years than not. Probably not both but 1 of the 2 will.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron