"Hey, look at that freshman!" stories

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Oh so now you think are an expert in lanterns! Obviously you put in the same compartment as your matches.

Yes, nothing says don't bother me better than carrying a lantern around with a full beard and buckskins. It might have been the 50 cal rifle on my back though. The lantern also helped keep the critters and the crows away in addition to being able to see at night.

I imagine if we started playing WVU while I was still in school I would have dueled the mountaineer for Supreme Mountaineer.

Unless you have a mason jar full of moonshine, the WVU guy wins. Should you obtain said jar of goodness, all bets are off!

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Freshman year was a haze for me. Although, I felt I was more advanced then most. I made it to my first class on time. Animal Science 101. Slept through the whole thing. Not too many freshman are that comfortable. Missed my first class the next day. Only lost my keys once, and that was during the first game of the year when my room key somehow flew off my keyring.

Somehow.. First semester I had a 3.5. Second semester was more like 2.0.

Plus... I always went under the assumption that if a bus hits you, that you get free tuition or something. So I played chicken about everyday. Never did get hit. Damn good drivers I must say.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Heard a guy ask a girl drinking out of a tallboy "You know those aren't allowed on campus right?" and she looks, smiles, and says "I met a junior this weekend who said it's fine as long as it's not in class."

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Heard a guy ask a girl drinking out of a tallboy "You know those aren't allowed on campus right?" and she looks, smiles, and says "I met a junior this weekend who said it's fine as long as it's not in class."

This logic seems solid.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Big thanks to the admissions office. They definitely looked at the ladies pictures this year before giving them their acceptance letter. I believe when admitting students, the admissions office did this for the ladies:

3.6 or greater GPA in high school, you're in.
3.5 or less GPA in high school, you need to be hot.

3.6 or greater high school GPA tends to be those girls that you confuse for guys, or those girls that look like the type that, when asked, take the entire bowl of candy on the first day of school.

K

KFitzy87

Big thanks to the admissions office. They definitely looked at the ladies pictures this year before giving them their acceptance letter. I believe when admitting students, the admissions office did this for the ladies:

3.6 or greater GPA in high school, you're in.
3.5 or less GPA in high school, you need to be hot.

3.6 or greater high school GPA tends to be those girls that you confuse for guys, or those girls that look like the type that, when asked, take the entire bowl of candy on the first day of school.

Must spread rep. And I completely agree.

Baffan

Aug 22, 2007
Ames, IA
How many of you all were guilty of all of this your freshman year? I probably was with the bus thing, however I knew to drop the lanyard/DIS bag & shirt. I'm sure I still dressed like I was going out though.

I'm sure I was guilty of doing many things that pointed me out as a freshman. However, unfortunately I didn't even get a lanyard/DIS bag/shirt because my freshman roommate and I decided to go out and drink instead. I blame this on my then roommate joining/being on the LaCrosse team so they showed up at our room around 4:00 and took us to their place to party/drink.

The drinking happened after we literally drove around for 20 minutes while they called out to random women on the street to try and convince them to come with us as well. It was needless to say, hilarious and a great start to my ISU experience.

PhillipJCY

Mar 7, 2012
New New York
I was guilty of forgetting my class schedule the first day my freshman year. I had to call my roommate to read off the classes and locations outside of Carver Hall while lots of people walked by. I also scheduled a class in Marston Hall followed right after one in Agronomy Hall. Never again did I schedule classes back to back across campus.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I love the freshman who realize they are in the wrong class after the professor introduces themselves, then stand up to start to leave, get that ackward feeling of everyone looking at them, and then sit back down and just stay for the whole class.

Usually only happens in lectures, but I saw it happen once in a 400 level class. The prof flat out asked the kid if he was in the wrong place with like 10 minutes left, he then admitted and left.

My senior (err...super senior...) year I went to the wrong lecture. I had classes at 9 and 11 in one of the Carver lecture halls. Got up one day, headed out for my 9am class and noticed a lot of people looked unfamiliar. But figured it was just students showing up at the end of the semester. Nope. It was a 10am class, something about agriculture...definitely not my Motor Control course. But I stuck it out and doodled for an hour.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I remember seeing a few guys wear their high school letter jackets when it first got cold. That usually doesn't last long.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Had a freshman I know texting me about the buses this morning trying to figure out what bus to take. She got on the right bus, so that was good, but then she informed me she was just going to stay on it until it reached the end. Major facepalm.