"Hidden gem" restaurants

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Teddy's Bar & Grill just east of Anamosa. Stone City is also well known as is Baxa's at Sutliff Bridge and Lincoln Cafe in mt. Vernon so I suppose those aren't hidden gems to many.

Last edited:

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Taco Jerry's/Borderline Pizza in Forest City. Best soft shell taco you will ever eat, hands down.

D

DistrictCyclone

Maxwells is good, Woodies was good but I also like eating pizza at the Ritz. I used to go to the resturaunt that burned down last summer quite often(Can't think of the name but it was close to 316 steakhouse)?

You're thinking of Mineral City.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Augusta Restaurant in Oxford, IA.

Welcome to Augusta Restaurant local food with New Orleans flare .

It's a place owned by a Katrina-displaced couple who decided to open a restaurant in Oxford, IA. They've got awesome Louisiana fare, but the owner wanted to make sure he had something on the menu that would be at home in Iowa so he now makes one of the best pork tenderloins in the state. It's definitely in the heart of Hawkeye territory, but well worth the stop.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Taco Jerry's/Borderline Pizza in Forest City. Best soft shell taco you will ever eat, hands down.

Taco Jerry's is still open? I did a few of their radio ads early on, when I worked for the local radio station. They were good advertisers. Ended up going there quite a bit. You're right, their tacos are amazing.

Reactions: Clone5

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
'that place' located on highway 14 outside of conrad. 10 minutes north of marshalltown.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Taco Jerry's is still open? I did a few of their radio ads early on, when I worked for the local radio station. They were good advertisers. Ended up going there quite a bit. You're right, their tacos are amazing.
As far as I know it is. FC is my hometown, but I haven't been back since May. I feel like I would have heard about it if it had closed. I couldn't tell you how many tacos I have eaten in that place

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Maxwells is good, Woodies was good but I also like eating pizza at the Ritz. I used to go to the resturaunt that burned down last summer quite often(Can't think of the name but it was close to 316 steakhouse)?

Yea.. As dc said mineral city. I had eaten there a few time as well. It was good. I know it's just bar food but I kinda like the food at captains.. We usually get all the oyster plates they have.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
As far as I know it is. FC is my hometown, but I haven't been back since May. I feel like I would have heard about it if it had closed. I couldn't tell you how many tacos I have eaten in that place

Yes, the Taco Jerry's is still open...I live in Lake Mills and it is on the East side of 69/9!

Also, there is a place in Emmetsburg called New Shoots Cafe Bakery & Farmstore that is just Fabulous. Had a meeting in E'burg last July and was very impressed. The first part of the the place is the Farmstore which is basically a farmer's market and the other side is the cafe. Loved the food and atmosphere and would recommend it to anybody who wants to just sit and relax.[h=1][/h]