Hoiberg and Nebraska Basketball In Trouble

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
These ADs get absolutely WORKED by agents. It's embarrassing.

It really is. But, Trev Alberts showed some moxie IMO when he re-worked Scott Frost's contract last year and made a couple of changes to it. They agreed to lower his annual salary and slashed the total buyout. I expect Trev to try to do something like this with Fred also, but I'm not so sure he'll be as receptive to it as Frost was. I bet Fred tells him to pound sand if he ever tries to start the conversation, but we would likely never know for sure if it happens.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Frost (Football HC) - Played at Nebraska
Bolt (Baseball HC) - Played at Nebraska
Williams (WBB HC) - Played at Nebraska
Alberts (AD) - Played at Nebraska

When it comes to the major sports, Fred is the outsider in the UNL coaching tree. Look for him to be replaced with....................well, somebody who played Nebrasketball.

(I mean, Tyronn Lue coached LeBron, so there is that.)
Fred has some pretty good ties with Nebraska having a grandfather that coached them.

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Im sick of you of fair weather fans bringing our prodigal son down. Do you not see his work for what it is?
A proud Cyclone man, who’s done nothing but win games as a player and coach for us. Then takes a massive paycheck to go keep his foot firmly on Nebrasketballs neck for the foreseeable future.
Thanks Fred. I’m one of few who truly appreciate the gifts you’ve given us.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Man it hurt so bad when Fred left. It was like he owed me something. I felt so let down. Of all people, he was the last person I thought would leave. Thank God for coach Matt Campbell. When we were so depressed with Paul Rhoads, Fred leaving was like a punch in the face, I think if the football team was as legit as it is right now, I wouldn’t have cared that he left but then again, he owed us nothing and needed to go cash in. Sometimes one has to be selfish and look out for their own pocket. I hope he starts to winning. His heart doesn’t need worrying or stress so the sooner they start to win the better, good luck coach, I’m rooting for you.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Frost (Football HC) - Played at Nebraska
Bolt (Baseball HC) - Played at Nebraska
Williams (WBB HC) - Played at Nebraska
Alberts (AD) - Played at Nebraska

When it comes to the major sports, Fred is the outsider in the UNL coaching tree. Look for him to be replaced with....................well, somebody who played Nebrasketball.

(I mean, Tyronn Lue coached LeBron, so there is that.)

I’m sure Lue is ready to bail on Kawhi, PG13, and the Clippers to go work with all the talent in Lincoln.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The Nebraska job has been the interesting case so far.

Some people on here didn’t think he could overcome the disadvantages there. Others thought he could clear the low bar of winning a single tournament game.

I don’t think anyone predicted that it would go THIS poorly.

I didn't think it would be like this, but I'm good with it being this bad. He's got more money then I'll ever see in my lifetime, it doesn't bother me to see him fail.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Dont forget (3) "mailing it in".
High level mgmt job like a cbb coach, you gotta work your butt off. Especially to turn a program around. It looks like cfh doesnt have the drive or ambition required anymore to work that hard. And if you are giving 50%, so will all your staff and players.

I just think he fleeced Nebby, knowing he didnt really care much and wasnt going to give the 210% danny mac levels of effort required to succeed.

As far as next job... he needs something with tons less responsibility. Until and unless his ambition returns, he should be a shooting coach, or mid level nba office guy. Or just start a foundation and call it a day.

Is Fred generous, I know he is great at making money is he good at sharing it?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Im sick of you of fair weather fans bringing our prodigal son down. Do you not see his work for what it is?
A proud Cyclone man, who’s done nothing but win games as a player and coach for us. Then takes a massive paycheck to go keep his foot firmly on Nebrasketballs neck for the foreseeable future.
Thanks Fred. I’m one of few who truly appreciate the gifts you’ve given us.
I officially nominate this for a 2022 Clonie Post of the Year award.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I hope the same thing doesn't happen to Iowa State's defense when Kyle Green leaves. Maybe his wife keeps him anchored in the vicinity of Cedar Falls, but his kids are almost out of school. I could easily see somebody writing him a big check to come and fix their defense or him being offered the UNI job.

Well the UNI head coaching job pay as well as assistant/associate coach at ISU? I'm just asking I have no idea.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
We're all a bunch of jaded lovers. Let's be honest. When Hoiball was rolling in Ames and Fred would come out to Let It Rock, it was like we were all at the prom with the hottest chick in the universe.

No matter how hot they are after awhile they still piss you off. And that's what Fred did to this fan base.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think the Little Cyclones are having a good year, otherwise Ames High could be next dream job except whole fish bowl thing.

Is Julius Michalik still coaching Fort Dodge, maybe he needs an assistant? Taco Tico time!

Julius has moved on to Ridgeview HS in Pisgah.

• Informative
Reactions: carvers4math

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
His grandfather coached from 1954-63

81-132. .380 overall
38-80. .322 conference
Just saying Fred has ties with Nebraska. I'd imagine like Frost it will help a bit with him hanging onto his job. Money being the only real reason I can see NU hanging on to him though.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Fred has some pretty good ties with Nebraska having a grandfather that coached them.
Right. I was just pointing out that pretty much all of the people coaching the major sports have played for Nebby except for Fred. I don't know if there's another school with close to the amount of alumni serving in head coaching roles as Nebby, but it kind of sends the signal that they aren't good enough to lure top tier coaching to the State anymore (not to diss the coaches that actually are successful though).

Then again, it is Nebraska.

• Winner
Reactions: Lineup