Hoiberg and Nebraska Basketball In Trouble

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I’m sure Lue is ready to bail on Kawhi, PG13, and the Clippers to go work with all the talent in Lincoln.
I wouldn't either, but in keeping with the trend of hiring alumni to coach their major sports, there is literally.....actually.....nobody else. If cloning were a normality, you would be seeing Danny Nee for eternity in Lincoln.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I wouldn't either, but in keeping with the trend of hiring alumni to coach their major sports, there is literally.....actually.....nobody else. If cloning were a normality, you would be seeing Danny Nee for eternity in Lincoln.
Eric Piatkowski is the only answer here. Cookie Belcher as top assistant.

Reactions: singsing

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
If Fred can find a way to win 3 B10 games this season, his comp over 3 years will work out to $1 million per conf win.

He's like a washed up MLB reliever in the late stages of his career where you end up making millions per save in your final season.

Impressive.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don't see how he keeps his job after this season.
There's what, maybe 5 wins remaining on the schedule?
Final record of 13-20
Yikes

• Haha
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fred is a shadow of the coach he was in Ames. He looks sad, miserable, downtrodden, insert any depressing-sounding adjective here. I am a little disappointed he hasn't found success anywhere since leaving, but it was his choice. He followed the $ signs. He might be a failure at the end of the day, but at least he'll be a wealthy failure. I would like to see him turn it around. I have no ill will for Nebrasketball, even if they were our conference rivals once, they've almost literally never been a serious basketball rival. Now that they're in the Big 10 I'd rather see him do well, beat Fran a couple times a year etc.

Reactions: VeloClone

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I’m not sure even nebraska can afford 18 million in a buyout.

That is a lot of cash to fire the coach of a program that nobody has ever cared about and that has never been any good.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't see how he keeps his job after this season.
There's what, maybe 5 wins remaining on the schedule?
Final record of 13-20
Yikes

They are projected to finish 3-17 in the Big Ten.

But they're not projected to win any particular game.

1642008416125.png

Rutgers and Maryland at home are the closest ones, but still not quite.

• Wow
Reactions: DSMCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
They are projected to finish 3-17 in the Big Ten.

But they're not projected to win any particular game.

View attachment 94263

Rutgers and Maryland at home are the closest ones, but still not quite.
Yah I was being generous in my counting to 5
I was giving them both Northwestern wins, Rutgers, Maryland, and then assuming they'd pick someone off.
It does seem like they usually give Iowa a game in Lincoln.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Right. I was just pointing out that pretty much all of the people coaching the major sports have played for Nebby except for Fred. I don't know if there's another school with close to the amount of alumni serving in head coaching roles as Nebby, but it kind of sends the signal that they aren't good enough to lure top tier coaching to the State anymore (not to diss the coaches that actually are successful though).

Then again, it is Nebraska.

Well their VB team has got it figured out :D .

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Right. I was just pointing out that pretty much all of the people coaching the major sports have played for Nebby except for Fred. I don't know if there's another school with close to the amount of alumni serving in head coaching roles as Nebby, but it kind of sends the signal that they aren't good enough to lure top tier coaching to the State anymore (not to diss the coaches that actually are successful though).

It is very difficult to get anybody to coach at Nebraska. That is why you see so many alums.

• Agree
Reactions: ISpyCy and Lineup

singsing

Nov 2, 2007

Yeah, I was adding to your point Nebraska has some weird thing going on with their coaches having a connection back to the school. They need to rethink that strategy.