Home DIY

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
One thing that is annoying is that even when you want to hire someone to do something, they are usually terrible about communication. I remember reaching out to 5 roofers a couple of years back and heard back from one of them. The same has happened with cement and bathroom remodelers. If you're too busy, just let me know.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie and CloneGuy8

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I grew up with grandparents who had a bunch of HUD rentals. The upside was the government paid us the rent every month so we didn't have to deal with chasing down rent checks, the downside was a lot of those tenants would trash the place. So when they moved out I got a lot of experience fixing what they tore up. You name it I've done it, grandpa had a whole shed of used doors, windows, cabinets and appliances to replace what got torn up.

I have a pretty good handle on what I want to deal with and what I want to hire out these days. Basically my rule of thumb is if I have to get on the roof I'm not doing it or HVAC I'm not touching it.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
One thing that is annoying is that even when you want to hire someone to do something, they are usually terrible about communication. I remember reaching out to 5 roofers a couple of years back and heard back from one of them. The same has happened with cement and bathroom remodelers. If you're too busy, just let me know.

I've ran in to this issue as well, as I am sure many other people have. Generally, I've noticed that independent contractors don't have good business acumen.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Honestly I can usually walk into someone's house and and can tell what projects they did on their own. There is a huge difference between being "handy" and putting out a quality finished product. My brother in-law is "handy" and has done a a bunch of laminate and tile flooring in their house. Yes the flooring is serviceable but there are tons of imperfections and the finished product looks like $hit. He's also notorious for using the cheapest materials he can find at Menards so that doesn't do him any favors.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Tip: If you want to get REALLY good at drywall repair I suggest watching or listening to Dan McCarney interviews frequently.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
True. I fixed a washing machine after way too much screwing around and trips to get tools, and then fixed our dryer after guessing on the wrong (non-returnable) part (twice).

i had to rewire a new dryer that we got so that we could actually plug it in to the plug in that was already in the home.

youtube helped me through that.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I've ran in to this issue as well, as I am sure many other people have. Generally, I've noticed that independent contractors don't have good business acumen.

Plumbers are probably the worst. They are impossible to get ahold of unless you call the big boys like Golden Rules nut they will absolutely put you over the barrel.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
DIY ability, like any skill, is incredibly enhanced by the ability to critically and continually learn.

If someone has an issue, finds a fixit Youtube video that applies to their situation, follows along, and gets things working for them then I would say that's a DIY win. I've done it plenty.

But I think a great DIY'er goes a step further and doesn't just do it themselves with only the end job getting done as the goal. They do it to learn how to better fix future problems in the moment with their own mind and hands. Maybe they don't do it consciously, but the good ones do.

Think of it like taking a progression of math courses.
Algebra → Trigonometry → Calculus
Each one builds on the previous. If someone has been doing the coursework and exams in algebra focusing only on getting them done and passing while not learning the concepts and how to apply them fully then things will be more difficult down the road.
If you know you'll only ever need algebra or replacing a kitchen faucet or whatever example you want then that's fine. Just know that if you jump in too far and get over your head then, as some have noted in the thread already, the real pros can read that situation right away and cash in on you.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
My father always said, "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself." As a child it went in one ear and out the other. But, as I grew older, it became more real. In fact, even if I have it done 'professionally', I still find faults with the work. Consequently, before any project, I research it ad-nauseum. Of course, there are limits to everything, but at least I'm comfortable in laying out the expectations of the work I request to be done so it's done in a manner I deem good enough. "Proper pre-planning prevents piss poor performance", but not to the point of "Planning paralysis"

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Somehow I ended up with a free subscription to Family Hamdyman. I always wonder how many times professionals have to fix stuff that homeowners thought looked like an easy project they could handle themselves.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Somehow I ended up with a free subscription to Family Hamdyman. I always wonder how many times professionals have to fix stuff that homeowners thought looked like an easy project they could handle themselves.
I know an electrical contractor that says his standard hourly rate is $20. $30 if you watch him work. $50 if you tried doing it yourself before calling him.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
i had to rewire a new dryer that we got so that we could actually plug it in to the plug in that was already in the home.

youtube helped me through that.

Yes, it is. I just used it to get the glass fixture off my ceiling fan that had been stuck forever (to change the light). This was a little less than official, but one of the steps was, and I am quoting, "don't worry about breaking it, just give it a good whomp" and it worked lol

On my dryer, unfortunately the symptoms of the problem could have been a few things, and I chose incorrectly.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Yes, it is. I just used it to get the glass fixture off my ceiling fan that had been stuck forever (to change the light). This was a little less than official, but one of the steps was, and I am quoting, "don't worry about breaking it, just give it a good whomp" and it worked lol

On my dryer, unfortunately the symptoms of the problem could have been a few things, and I chose incorrectly.

yeah, if it was something too technical with the dryer i would have avoided but i figured switching out plug ins and disconnecting/connecting a few wired could be somewhat easy with a youtube vid. lucked out it was!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I have decades of DIY (and limited commercial) experience on handyman stuff so am confident in all of those projects. I had zero experience with automotive repairs but have utilized YouTube and have done quite a few automotive stuff (non-engine) including bodywork now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Got a place that hadn't been touched since late 70s. We had ceilings and floors all done professionally then painted every wall ourself.

Found the most bang for the buck on easy DIY was replacing all the outlets and light switches. After the remodel they looked even more disgusting.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

All the time. And it's not just handymen I come in behind. You would be surprised how many expensive new builds after just a few years are falling apart. In fact....some of the handyman work is better than what's on a new build.

Reactions: NoCreativity

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I love to learn how to do household projects like plumbing and electrical. I just bought a PEX crimping tool so I can run PEX and install an outdoor faucet.

CyOps

Jul 12, 2010
Lincoln
Also, I did all the work to finish a basement in one house and flipped my next house. After that, I got rid of most of my drywall tools. Didn't want to do anymore of that.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Another YouTube DIYer here. If it weren’t for my wife we wouldn’t have done any of the projects that we have. This year we have taken out the old flooring and put in new LVP, painted the cabinets and painted the countertop. I have also repaired the washing machine, dryer and diagnosed the dishwasher using YouTube. Minor stuff with the cars as well.