"Home Field Advantage"

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Completely disagree. "Another Cyclone First Down" isn't celebrating mediocrity.

I was just glad they stopped doing it in the 4th quarter last week. That really would have been celebrating mediocrity.

As it is, I'm ok with it because it's an attempt to get/keep the crowd involved in the game. I would guess the players (at least the one's playing) even notice it's happening. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have in high school, and I would hope they're more focused than I was.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
2 of those are Kansas and Tulsa..... And the other is a pretty damn bad WVU team.

I get that, but one game under .500 on the road is about where ISU should expect to be. Winning only 12% of your home games should happen to no team ever.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Home field advantage does not exist for ISU at JTS. And it isn't the fan support that is to blame. The fans have done everything possible to give ISU an advantage. It's someone else's fault and his name is Paul Rhoads. It starts at the top and trickles down from there.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
I seem to remember the coaches talking before the season started last year about how young we were, and how that affected their approach with the players, trying to make sure they kept a positive attitude. If anything, especially on defense, we seem to be even younger this year.

I wonder if they've been too soft with them in practice, limiting the constructive criticism or overemphasizing the praise, and it's lead to the lack of fortitude on the field?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I get that, but one game under .500 on the road is about where ISU should expect to be. Winning only 12% of your home games should happen to no team ever.

Our stat guy should write an article on how our home record stacks up with the rest of the country. It has to be the biggest surprise of the fans. No player or coaching bashing, but the home record should not be so sad. The last game ended the first half for the cheering fans.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I wonder if they've been too soft with them in practice, limiting the constructive criticism or overemphasizing the praise, and it's lead to the lack of fortitude on the field?

That may be the case but from all accounts, the opposite was happening for the last year and a half. The coaches were driving the players into the ground during practices and the injuries were racking up. It's rumored the players went to Rhoads about this and its why he created the "players council" to offset and listen to these issues.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I am good with the first down thing except for when they do it on the very first 1st down of the game.

That's definitely bad. I just think it is amateurish. Along with "Cyclone fans, on your feet!". We bring a full stadium to watch a team that has won 2 of its last 11 home games. You don't think we know when it is 3rd down?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Actually getting on our feet is more like a seventh inning stretch watching the Cubs.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think the sample size here is a little too small to really draw out any meaningful conclusions.

If we don't have that fumble vs. WVU in 2012 and if the refs make the right call vs. Texas last year, then we're looking at a pretty even split.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Home field advantage does not exist for ISU at JTS. And it isn't the fan support that is to blame. The fans have done everything possible to give ISU an advantage. It's someone else's fault and his name is Paul Rhoads. It starts at the top and trickles down from there.

Find me the last ISU coach with a winning record at home.

Go ahead... I'll wait...

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
We are now 2-10 in our last 12 at JTS. That's embarrassing.

It's clear mental toughness isn't a strong point of the team so, is it the added pressure of trying to win in front of 54,000?

Let's all stay in the parking lots during the games! That'll take some of the pressure of the player's over stressed minds.

First Down = ISU's Boomer Sooner

If the first down chant = Boomer Sooner then the OU band would only play it as often as the Star Spangled Banner each game.