Home Remodel Suggestions

JCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 9, 2009
Bumping this. We are looking at remodeling an existing walk-in shower (tile that is a PITA to keep clean plus its older) in our master along with a tub to standing shower conversion in our master bath. I've done quite a bit of research except for bringing potential contractors in to look at it and give formal quotes. A few questions:

1. Has anyone done this on their own? I've flipped houses in the past and am semi-handy but don't have a lot of free time. I'd prefer hiring but some of the initial online estimates say it could be $5k+ which seems insane.

2. Any recommendations in the Des Moines area?

3. Anyone done something similar and have a real cost?
Having recently got some quotes (in Omaha) on a bathroom job I'd say $5k is probably on the low end.

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
SIAP, but has anyone recently added a heated floor to their bathroom? Any idea how much that costs? Our master isn't huge, big enough for his/hers sinks, a bathtub, toilet, and shower.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Bumping this. We are looking at remodeling an existing walk-in shower (tile that is a PITA to keep clean plus its older) in our master along with a tub to standing shower conversion in our master bath. I've done quite a bit of research except for bringing potential contractors in to look at it and give formal quotes. A few questions:

1. Has anyone done this on their own? I've flipped houses in the past and am semi-handy but don't have a lot of free time. I'd prefer hiring but some of the initial online estimates say it could be $5k+ which seems insane.

One thing you can consider is subbing out parts of the work. I did this for my house in Kansas City back in 2018. As a reference, my house had a dining room and kitchen right next to eachother, with the dining room having a closet for the washer and dryer, and the kitchen had the furnace in a closet in the corner. We essentially flipped the two so that as the dinning room had more space, so would have a nicer kitchen. It also helped that each side had plumbing and gas in the area for us to use.

Things my dad, Girlfriend (now wife), and I did.
- Demolition
- Electrical work
- Plumbing work
- Took out the patio door and put in a normal door (this included framing the space left by the patio door and installing the new vinyl siding.
- Installed new lights
- Installed new door from house to garage
- Paint
- Installed kitchen Cabinets and Appliances

Things I subbed out
- Countertops
- Tile floor
- Drywall installation and finishing

Reactions: cycloneworld

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Having recently got some quotes (in Omaha) on a bathroom job I'd say $5k is probably on the low end.

For a full gut, yes. I was considering something like a Re-Bath or equivalent which should (?) be more cost effective.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Installed a lighted mirror in one of our bathrooms and really like how it turned out.

Attachments

• PXL_20240108_155039636.jpg
    PXL_20240108_155039636.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Converted a small, rarely used bedroom to a WFH office/bedroom by building a Murphy bed with shelves and a fold out desk. Total cost was about $700 for lumber and hardware. Wished I'd done this a long time ago!

Attachments

• PXL_20230731_143339684.jpg
    PXL_20230731_143339684.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

5k if you’re lucky

• Agree
Reactions: mkadl

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Converted a small, rarely used bedroom to a WFH office/bedroom by building a Murphy bed with shelves and a fold out desk. Total cost was about $700 for lumber and hardware. Wished I'd done this a long time ago!
Gotta Murphy bed in there?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
For a full gut, yes. I was considering something like a Re-Bath or equivalent which should (?) be more cost effective.

It has been a few years ago, but I remember Re-Bath being more expensive. I gave a quote to do 2 baths (tear out, put back together in slate and travertine) and their bid was more than mine. Customer went with neither.....had a bunch of friends kids throw in some cheap Menards crap. But I remember the customer saying that even though it was more expensive she liked the pitch from Re-Bath that they could do it in one day. Something I could not promise.

Like I said that's been a few years back, so maybe with labor prices going through the roof on everything it might not be true anymore. Check it out.

Reactions: cycloneworld