Home Remodel Suggestions

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Why waste the money if everything is still functional?
Especially with the extreme inflated prices currently I’d personally let it wait on renovations as opposed to finishing an unfinished area to increase the value

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
We had our kitchen countertops replaced by Nebraska Furniture Mart. Just a small job probably to what you're wanting to do, but they might be worth checking out. Cost around 3k at the time, which was about 5 years ago.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
"Every single contractor in the world is a miserable, incompetent thief"

-Ron Swanson

ron-i-know-more-than-you.gif

• Winner
Reactions: CascadeClone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I would assume the Chicago market would be steeper than Des Moines?

I'm really not sure. I'm thinking the housing values in a DSM are pretty close to where I'm at.

Again, not sure. I only know quotes have been pretty dang high, but maybe fair for the work.

Taking down walls and adding filling in a doorway. Adding cabinets, a beverage fridge, and a pretty large island. Moving the sink and stove. Pretty major stuff I guess.

Hell it might even been a real bargain considering....not sure. Only that it's really costly

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Have a Plan A, Plan B and a Plan C. If materials/colors in A are not available for weeks go to B then C. The supply chain has things so backed up it makes what you think is a simple project complex.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
Resurrecting this thread - we are looking to remodel our first floor and got quoted on cabinets from a cabinet place in the Ames area - holy $$$, they are expensive. I would be interested to know where other people have gotten cabinets from for a kitchen remodel?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Resurrecting this thread - we are looking to remodel our first floor and got quoted on cabinets from a cabinet place in the Ames area - holy $$$, they are expensive. I would be interested to know where other people have gotten cabinets from for a kitchen remodel?
We put a little kitchenette area in our basement when we finished it off 3-4 years ago, just have one section of upper and lower cabinets. We just bought ours from Menards, then I hired a father/son handyman crew to install them. Again, this was for a basement kitchenette that I was pretty confident was going to take a lot of wear and tear from teenage daughters/friends hanging down there, so I wasn't as focused on quality of cabinets as I would be if it were for a main floor kitchen.

Still, am wondering how much of that outrageous price quote was for the cabinet place handling the install? If so, might be worth costing out just buying the cabinets and arranging for someone else to install them yourself? Maybe not, just a thought.

Reactions: CYEATHAWK

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

While we admittedly have an absurd number of doors and drawers, we were quoted (if I remember correctly) almost 5 figures just to get ours refaced. Materials are expensive and labor is worse.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

We just got three quotes to redo our master bath… nothing overly serious. Believe we’re looking at about 150 sf total and the costs we got ranged from 45k-75k. Needless to say I’m dragging my feet on it.

rpcyclone2013

Jan 4, 2017
Nevada, IA
We put a little kitchenette area in our basement when we finished it off 3-4 years ago, just have one section of upper and lower cabinets. We just bought ours from Menards, then I hired a father/son handyman crew to install them. Again, this was for a basement kitchenette that I was pretty confident was going to take a lot of wear and tear from teenage daughters/friends hanging down there, so I wasn't as focused on quality of cabinets as I would be if it were for a main floor kitchen.

Still, am wondering how much of that outrageous price quote was for the cabinet place handling the install? If so, might be worth costing out just buying the cabinets and arranging for someone else to install them yourself? Maybe not, just a thought.
We did get separate quotes for the cabinets and install. It's hard to figure out how much the install is itself because our contractor's quote includes demo. The cabinet store we went to seemed pretty good quality, but I'm just thinking I should get multiple quotes so was curious about other places to get cabinets in Central Iowa.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
We just got three quotes to redo our master bath… nothing overly serious. Believe we’re looking at about 150 sf total and the costs we got ranged from 45k-75k. Needless to say I’m dragging my feet on it.

You are kidding right? If I may ask........what exactly were you wanting to do plate your bath in gold? I am an evil "contractor" and the only time I ever quoted something in that range was for a flip home. And that was everything from foundation work to the roof.

I do real stone in baths and I think the highest I have ever quoted someone was just under $10k. And that was an entire tear down and the entire bath in stone from floor to ceiling.

I understand costs are up for everything.......but those are surgeons rates. I just hate guys like that who think it's an art and no offense.............it's a frickin bathroom! Unbelievable.

Reactions: chadly82

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
You are kidding right? If I may ask........what exactly were you wanting to do plate your bath in gold? I am an evil "contractor" and the only time I every quoted something in that range was for a flip home. And that was everything from foundation work to the roof.

I do real stone in baths and I think the highest I have ever quoted someone was just under $10k. And that was an entire tear down and the entire bath in stone from floor to ceiling.

I understand costs are up for everything.......but those are surgeons rates. I just hate guys like that who think it's an art and no offense.............it's a frickin bathroom! Unbelievable.
I agree…. Needless to say we haven’t jumped on it yet.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
You are kidding right? If I may ask........what exactly were you wanting to do plate your bath in gold? I am an evil "contractor" and the only time I ever quoted something in that range was for a flip home. And that was everything from foundation work to the roof.

This is a lot more in line with what I was thinking. Sounds like some contractors are pretty proud of themselves!
@CYEATHAWK Where you located?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Wife and I are planning to remodel our home and are looking for suggestions on construction companies in the Ames/Des Moines area. Nothing too crazy—-kitchen/bathroom remodel and maybe some work in the basement with a wet bar and finishing another room. Appreciate any suggestions!
Probably looking at $130k if you want the high end finish.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Like Gonzo stated.....try the cabinets at Menards or any other box store. Yes you might think they look cheap but if you get the naked oak, you can dress them up with nice oak molding trim around the top and sides to make them look more expensive.

And the naked oak cabinets/trim can be finished in any way you wish i.e. just poly, semi trans. or solid stain......painted. Leave it at that or have it distressed if that's your liking. You can even buy fancy door handles and hinges to doll them up and still be thousands ahead.

We have even taken out the thin panel in the door frame (wall cabinets only) and replaced it with glass.

They may not look like much initially......but they are cheap, a blank slate and can be dressed up pretty good.