Home Remodel Suggestions

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
We just got three quotes to redo our master bath… nothing overly serious. Believe we’re looking at about 150 sf total and the costs we got ranged from 45k-75k. Needless to say I’m dragging my feet on it.
You got all f off quotes, keep looking. @CYEATHAWK is there any easy way to give a contractor the heads up that if they are going to give an f off quote don't waste your time putting the numbers together? This practice has gotten out of hand.

• Agree
Reactions: twojman

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I recently remodeled the entryway of our split foyer to create more natural lighting. Below are the before and after pictures.

1690132881541.png

1690132997469.png

Other projects the last couple of years include cutting a huge hole in my kitchen wall and installing a large window, removing all the popcorn ceilings throughout the house and re-texturing, installing crown molding throughout the first floor. And right now I'm building a murphy bed with bookshelves and a fold out desk for our guest room.

I never really thought of myself as a very handy man, but youtube is a wonderful thing!!

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
You got all f off quotes, keep looking. @CYEATHAWK is there any easy way to give a contractor the heads up that if they are going to give an f off quote don't waste your time putting the numbers together? This practice has gotten out of hand.
Right, when we did our remodel I told the contractors we got quotes from that the budget was $50k. We got a quote for $90k, just a waste of time.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
We have been wanting to add an addition to our house and was talking with one contractor and they wanted $150 just to come to our house and talk on site about what we wanted for a quote. WTF? $150 just to come to our house. I cancelled their trip. That's stupid. I get it, new homes are going to slow to an extent due to interest rates so contractors are moving towards remodeling more than new construction...but that $150 was stupid.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We have been wanting to add an addition to our house and was talking with one contractor and they wanted $150 just to come to our house and talk on site about what we wanted for a quote. WTF? $150 just to come to our house. I cancelled their trip. That's stupid. I get it, new homes are going to slow to an extent due to interest rates so contractors are moving towards remodeling more than new construction...but that $150 was stupid.

It does cost them time and money to drive to your house and put together a quote….

Reactions: Cycho1

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I recently remodeled the entryway of our split foyer to create more natural lighting. Below are the before and after pictures.

View attachment 114723

View attachment 114725

Other projects the last couple of years include cutting a huge hole in my kitchen wall and installing a large window, removing all the popcorn ceilings throughout the house and re-texturing, installing crown molding throughout the first floor. And right now I'm building a murphy bed with bookshelves and a fold out desk for our guest room.

I never really thought of myself as a very handy man, but youtube is a wonderful thing!!
That's an impressive diy, and a more serious job than most people would guess at first glance. Kudos!

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
That's an impressive diy, and a more serious job than most people would guess at first glance. Kudos!
Thanks!

It was a pretty major project. I had to create a temporary wall to hold up my ceiling while I removed all the drywall, cut several of the studs out, and install a wider and higher header for the new door and sidelights.

Very pleased with how it all turned out!

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Easy way.......know exactly what you want. And in conversation tell them cost of what materials you want used and that you can buy materials if need be.

PeteyClone

Apr 11, 2006
I’d recommend D&R Custom Kitchens for having custom cabinets made. I had them build all my kitchen cabinets (with 2 sided island), bathroom vanities and laundry cabinets when we had our townhome built. It was less than 10k and was solid oak and finished (our builder installed). Granted that was in 2015 but we had them build cabinets for our 12 foot bar and 48 inch vanity for the basement a couple years ago and was only $2,500. I did paint and install myself but the quality is great. No showroom or anything. You basically talk to Randy in the workshop on York Ave in Des Moines.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You are kidding right? If I may ask........what exactly were you wanting to do plate your bath in gold? I am an evil "contractor" and the only time I ever quoted something in that range was for a flip home. And that was everything from foundation work to the roof.

I do real stone in baths and I think the highest I have ever quoted someone was just under $10k. And that was an entire tear down and the entire bath in stone from floor to ceiling.

I understand costs are up for everything.......but those are surgeons rates. I just hate guys like that who think it's an art and no offense.............it's a frickin bathroom! Unbelievable.
I just completed my master re model….for 12,000 bucks.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Resurrecting this thread - we are looking to remodel our first floor and got quoted on cabinets from a cabinet place in the Ames area - holy $$$, they are expensive. I would be interested to know where other people have gotten cabinets from for a kitchen remodel?

This place does a great job. I know a couple people that have used them.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You do it yourself or contract it out? I’m debating doing it myself after seeing the quotes (maybe minus drywall and tile work?).
All the tile was a custom contractor since I can’t justify that but setting new cabinets and painting most anyone can do to save a bunch of cash

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
All the tile was a custom contractor since I can’t justify that but setting new cabinets and painting most anyone can do to save a bunch of cash
You live in the Des Moines area? If so, mind sharing your tile contact?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Bumping this. We are looking at remodeling an existing walk-in shower (tile that is a PITA to keep clean plus its older) in our master along with a tub to standing shower conversion in our master bath. I've done quite a bit of research except for bringing potential contractors in to look at it and give formal quotes. A few questions:

1. Has anyone done this on their own? I've flipped houses in the past and am semi-handy but don't have a lot of free time. I'd prefer hiring but some of the initial online estimates say it could be $5k+ which seems insane.

2. Any recommendations in the Des Moines area?

3. Anyone done something similar and have a real cost?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron