House of the Dragon

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I thought Tyrion was endearing, mainly from the standpoint of him being the only person trying to be decent amongst his purely evil family. He found himself fighting on the wrong side more often than not, and usually it was because he didn't see it until it was too late.

From just a TV show perspective, Dinklage absolutely hit it out of the park with his performance.

From a character standpoint, Tyrion had a pretty good redemption arc (even if he did commit patricide). He may not have been a good person (especially at the start), but he wasn't evil. He did try to be a good person (most of the time).

Plus he had a bunch of witty one-liners.

Reactions: CloneIce

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tyrion was a great character in the book as well.
From just a TV show perspective, Dinklage absolutely hit it out of the park with his performance.

From a character standpoint, Tyrion had a pretty good redemption arc (even if he did commit patricide). He may not have been a good person (especially at the start), but he wasn't evil. He did try to be a good person (most of the time).

Plus he had a bunch of witty one-liners.
I'd go so far as to say he never really had a redemption arc in the books, because he was nearly always presented as a sympathetic character. Lilly white? Not even close. But he wasn't ever a "bad guy" so to speak. Other characters may have seen him as a villain, but his motivations aren't necessarily evil, at least not compared with some of the other characters.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Tyrion raped a slave girl twice, threatened another, looked down his nose at Penny and other little people, had Bronn kill the singer who found out about Shae and made him into “brown” soup, had Bronn kill a *****, threatens to rape another slave, murders Shae for giving false testimony, fondles 13 year old Sansa before she starts to cry, dreams of not just killing Cersei but raping her too, and that’s just what I vaguely remember having not read the books for several years.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Tyrion raped a slave girl twice, threatened another, looked down his nose at Penny and other little people, had Bronn kill the singer who found out about Shae and made him into “brown” soup, had Bronn kill a *****, threatens to rape another slave, murders Shae for giving false testimony, fondles 13 year old Sansa before she starts to cry, dreams of not just killing Cersei but raping her too, and that’s just what I vaguely remember having not read the books for several years.
Fair point. Like I said, he's not lilly white by a long shot, but I'll stand by my assertion that there's still not much of a redemption arc to him in the books, other than potentially his befriending of Penny.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Indeed he’s got some pretty bad deeds, mixed with some not so bad deeds. I suspect the book will keep him that way, not sure how redemption would look for him. Relative to the world he’s in of course.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Huh, guess I let TV Tyrion override my memory of Book Tyrion. Forgot about Shae and Penny.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Huh, guess I let TV Tyrion override my memory of Book Tyrion. Forgot about Shae and Penny.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think he murdered Shae for being in bed with his father, who he came to kill, as much as anything. For context Tyrion was in full meltdown after his family tried to frame and kill him for a murder he didn’t commit. That made him snap.

Anyway, Shae sucked. Screw her. Tyrion was a great freaking character.

Reactions: 2020cy

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
GRRM said in that Colbert interview that he's 3/4 of the way through Winds. So 3 years still on the clock?
It’s not happening. He’s got writers block, he’s lost the story, it’s grown too large and he doesn’t know how to bring it home. Anymore I just laugh when we get George’s annual progress (haha) update.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Everybody seemed hell bent on having him get a Jamie Lannister redemption arc already. It took multiple books/seasons before that perspective is gained.

Daemon is to me quite a bit like Elayne's brother Galad for any WoT readers. He has his 'honor' code and will do whatever he feels like to see those ends met, and will feel justified for doing so.
But hasn't way more time passed than what passes during the Song of Ice and Fire? Don't know if they are honestly trying to give him some kind of redemption arc, but it's going to fall flat if they do. The guy is a **** with fleeting moments of humanity. That's all he has been for decades and that's all he should be going forward. But they have done a lot of questionable things with character development in this show so I don't really expect that to change. That said I love the show, and I'm looking forward to them digging in to the meat of the story now, which is the war.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader