House of the Dragon

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
His POV chapters were a blast to read though. So funny. Jamie’s were as well.
I think the chapters for female characters suffered in general and may just be a man trying to write what is in a woman’s head. Or maybe GRRM just wanted us to know that Sansa was a self-centered moronic twit.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The Daemon fanboy/fangirling has been weird from the start. I've never seen him as anything more than a loose cannon with questionable morals/motives. To me, he was the 3rd or 4th most interesting character of S1.
He had some appeal and intrigue early on, but I lost interest with the time jumping, as he seems to have taken a bit of a backseat to other characters. It was annoying to me how he tried to defy Rhaenyra a bit in last night's episode.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I never got the Tyrion Lannister love either other than Dinklage I guess. He did horrible things without much introspection for a very long time.
I thought Tyrion was endearing, mainly from the standpoint of him being the only person trying to be decent amongst his purely evil family. He found himself fighting on the wrong side more often than not, and usually it was because he didn't see it until it was too late.

Reactions: CloneIce

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think the chapters for female characters suffered in general and may just be a man trying to write what is in a woman’s head. Or maybe GRRM just wanted us to know that Sansa was a self-centered moronic twit.
That’s true. But regarding Sansa, I mean… she was a 13 year old sheltered rich kid. I thought her self centered view during the first book was understandable and forgivable in context.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
What can we deduce about Aemund's vicious murder of his young cousin and his dragon? If I could interpret Aemund's reaction to what his dragon had done, it was that of shock and "Oh fuuuuudggeee...except I didn't say fudge." My lead up question to that, however, is what exactly was he trying to do if not kill him?

While in the Baratheon hall, he demanded Luke pay him back the eye he took from him. I can't imagine what his plan was to simply get that eye when he decided to chase him on dragon back.
I think his plan was to do anything and everything like Torment, bully, intimidate, humiliate… provoke till his cousin gives him a “legit” reason (draws sword) to kill him.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Seems like some folks aren't happy with some of the decisions by the show runners regarding Daemon's behavior in this latest episode.
Newsflash, he's not exactly a good guy. He straight up murdered his first wife. Couldn't keep the smile off of his face during his second wife's funeral. He might not always act like a monster, but they've certainly established that he has that within him.
Everybody seemed hell bent on having him get a Jamie Lannister redemption arc already. It took multiple books/seasons before that perspective is gained.

Daemon is to me quite a bit like Elayne's brother Galad for any WoT readers. He has his 'honor' code and will do whatever he feels like to see those ends met, and will feel justified for doing so.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Daemon doesn’t seem to have the redemption arc in his future, but who knows, they can change people with a stroke of the pen so.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
It wasn’t renewed for a second season until after episode one aired and was the most watched premiere in HBO history .
New leadership at HBO has been tasked with cutting costs all around. They cancelled a bunch of shows (I'm still mad about not getting a Raised by Wolves season 3) and I'm sure they were not willing to commit to multiple seasons of any show unless they think they have a winner on their hands.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I actually liked Daemon last night. And now that her son was killed, she’s going to go the route he wanted to go in the first place, I’d assume.

Barristan Selmy tells Daenerys that he heard that originally from Jaehaerys (II).

‘I am no maester to quote history at you, Your Grace. Swords have been my life, not books. But every child knows that the Targaryens have always danced too close to madness. Your father was not the first. King Jaehaerys once told me that madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin. Every time a new Targaryen is born, he said, the gods toss the coin in the air and the world holds its breath to see how it will land.’

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
New leadership at HBO has been tasked with cutting costs all around. They cancelled a bunch of shows (I'm still mad about not getting a Raised by Wolves season 3) and I'm sure they were not willing to commit to multiple seasons of any show unless they think they have a winner on their hands.

They have a winner. I hope they revisit the one that was cancelled after the pilot. Even if it’s all new cast and reworked a little. I believe there have been three other spin offs pitched? Five total I thought. Ones obviously live, and one was canceled.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
They have a winner. I hope they revisit the one that was cancelled after the pilot. Even if it’s all new cast and reworked a little. I believe there have been three other spin offs pitched? Five total I thought. Ones obviously live, and one was canceled.

I really wish we’d get the series about the Long Night. That could have been an interesting series as the lack of material would have allowed for a lot of freedom in the direction of the show. It also would have been interesting to see the Westeros landscape with a bunch of small kingdoms and not the 7 major ones we see now.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What can we deduce about Aemund's vicious murder of his young cousin and his dragon? If I could interpret Aemund's reaction to what his dragon had done, it was that of shock and "Oh fuuuuudggeee...except I didn't say fudge." My lead up question to that, however, is what exactly was he trying to do if not kill him?

While in the Baratheon hall, he demanded Luke pay him back the eye he took from him. I can't imagine what his plan was to simply get that eye when he decided to chase him on dragon back.

IMO it was a pretty elaborate and dangerous form of bullying. I think he was content to let it be once Arrax dove into the seaside canyons to escape, as he did yell out something about a debt still needing to be paid, but things really escalated when Arrax did the drive-by flaming of Vhagar.

Yeah, his reaction at the end to me clearly indicated that he didn't mean for actual death to occur. It will be interesting to see his character arc in Season 2,

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I really wish we’d get the series about the Long Night. That could have been an interesting series as the lack of material would have allowed for a lot of freedom in the direction of the show. It also would have been interesting to see the Westeros landscape with a bunch of small kingdoms and not the 7 major ones we see now.

Yeah I would love a series about the first of men, children of the forest, and the long night. Would be so interesting.

Reactions: isufbcurt

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
GRRM said in that Colbert interview that he's 3/4 of the way through Winds. So 3 years still on the clock?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
GRRM said in that Colbert interview that he's 3/4 of the way through Winds. So 3 years still on the clock?
I suspect he’s saved the hardest threads for last, so who knows. Interesting he got him to say it though.