House of the Dragon

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How many years have past now, since the beginning of the show? I estimate roughly 20, but someone feel free to correct me.

Seems like Rhaenyra was approx. 15 at shows open, then the first time jump was 2-3 years. Then there was, I want to say, a 10ish year jump when they changed Rhaenyra and Alicent's actresses, although it seemed as though Aegon was much older than 10 or 11. Aemund also seemed older than what I would have perceived to be 8 or 9. Rhaenyra's kids seemed mostly age appropriate, the older two boys seem to be about 1-2 years younger than Alicent's oldest two.

The most recent time jump seems to have been approximately 8 years. I am estimating Aegon, the new king, to be approximately 20 years of age, Aemund, although much larger and physically appearing much older, must only be 18 (he looks like he could be 28 easily, just given how tall he is and obviously the disfigurement is coming into play here). Rhaenyra's kids as they currently are cast don't make a lot of sense to me. They should not be much younger than Alicent's, but they have the appearance of much younger boys, and looking nothing like their biological father Ser Harwin, who was a mountain of a man. They are kind of short and scrawny looking.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
How many years have past now, since the beginning of the show? I estimate roughly 20, but someone feel free to correct me.

Seems like Rhaenyra was approx. 15 at shows open, then the first time jump was 2-3 years. Then there was, I want to say, a 10ish year jump when they changed Rhaenyra and Alicent's actresses, although it seemed as though Aegon was much older than 10 or 11. Aemund also seemed older than what I would have perceived to be 8 or 9. Rhaenyra's kids seemed mostly age appropriate, the older two boys seem to be about 1-2 years younger than Alicent's oldest two.

The most recent time jump seems to have been approximately 8 years. I am estimating Aegon, the new king, to be approximately 20 years of age, Aemund, although much larger and physically appearing much older, must only be 18 (he looks like he could be 28 easily, just given how tall he is and obviously the disfigurement is coming into play here). Rhaenyra's kids as they currently are cast don't make a lot of sense to me. They should not be much younger than Alicent's, but they have the appearance of much younger boys, and looking nothing like their biological father Ser Harwin, who was a mountain of a man. They are kind of short and scrawny looking.

I think there was a comment in the last episode where the guy who died in the Small Council said that 'in the 20 years Viserys had been king...' So I think it's been 20 years since Viserys was crowned king to the most recent episode.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

The in-universe timeline is 24 years from Queen Aemma's death to Viserys' death.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I think he is just going off of his bitterness towards Rhaenrya being the reason he broke his vows. He was going to kill himself because of it.

I could see there being a relationship in the future. Especially if Alicent, starts embracing her power of being a woman and not being a token in the men's world. That will eventually mess with Criston's head even more.
That was might thought as well. He made such a huge deal about the oath that he had broken.

I watch with subtitles on, and there was one scene that made me think there is likely something between them.

Alicent says, "Everything you feel for me...as your queen" was how it was typed out on screen. He clearly has a loyalty to her, but it seems like it's more than that as well. The young Alicent actress also mentioned that part of the Rhaenyra/Alicent fallout was because Alicent had a crush on Cole, which was apparent in episode 1 I believe.
Good call out. I still don't think anything has happened yet but now that the king is dead I feel like that opens the door a little more.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The in-universe timeline is 24 years from Queen Aemma's death to Viserys' death.
Thanks, this actually helps me make more sense of the kids --specifically Alicent's -- age and appearance. In my head I was thinking they ranged from 16 (daughter) to 20 (Aegon) but maybe more realistically it's 18-22. It's plausible that Rhaenyra's kids are just that much younger, too, given they look so much younger and smaller.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks, this actually helps me make more sense of the kids --specifically Alicent's -- age and appearance. In my head I was thinking they ranged from 16 (daughter) to 20 (Aegon) but maybe more realistically it's 18-22. It's plausible that Rhaenyra's kids are just that much younger, too, given they look so much younger and smaller.

I think they are supposed to be younger. Wasn't the deer hunt where the King was trying to get Rhaenrya to find a husband a celebration of Aegon's birth?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
In both shows they've aged up the younger characters to avoid as many children in relationships as possible. That garden walk with Viserys and Laena in episode 1 or 2 is just gross

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think they are supposed to be younger. Wasn't the deer hunt where the King was trying to get Rhaenrya to find a husband a celebration of Aegon's birth?
You're right. I would assume then, that Aegon is a good 2-3 years older than Rhaenyra's oldest (I am bad with her kids names I'll admit. I know one is Luke, but IDK which one or any of the other names).

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
I think that is somewhat yet to be seen. I think Rhaenyra believes that once the King dies, that she will ascend to the throne as was planned and expected by all the kingdom. But with Alicent being in the kings chamber and misinterpreting the song of ice and fire, that moved things in a direction that Rhaenyra and company didn't expect. Additionally, they probably felt like they put Alicent and company in place after the Kings ruling on Driftmark in the previous episode before they left after dinner.

If they had stayed in Kings landing, I think things would have been different. But when they get the news that the King died AND Aegon was crowned king, that is what will probably set them off. I think up to this point, Rhaenyra and company have been playing typical court politics while Alicent and company have been playing to stage a coup (as we saw in the small council, Otto and a couple others had been gathering allies for such an event).
I found it odd that neither Rhaenrya nor Daemon had one single informant in Kings Landing that would tell them the rumblings of the Kings Death, let alone a whole ceremony crowning Aegon.

Reactions: CycloneVet

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I found it odd that neither Rhaenrya nor Daemon had one single informant in Kings Landing that would tell them the rumblings of the Kings Death, let alone a whole ceremony crowning Aegon.
They were traveling back to Dragonstone. I’m not sure if Raven mail works for in-transit communications. Plus they kept it really hush- hush.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I would guess they have a few

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I mean it surprises me more that they left with his health, but they are currently on their way home in this short turnaround, and it’s not like they have cell phones, or even email.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
It was all pretty hush hush until it was time to crown Aegon. It would take a while for a informant to get to Dragonstone

Yes, it appeared that Otto wanted Aegon brought to him so that he could continue to keep the King's death on the down low until soldiers could be dispatched to eliminate Dragonstone challengers. Otto and Larys had the staff all jailed to prevent information from getting out.

Alicent wanted Aegon so she could pursue this quick plan of coronation while trying to guide Aegon to be merciful to Rhaenyra. Alicent 1 - Otto 0.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
It has already been confirmed they won’t start filming season two until late summer next year so 2024 for sure.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I knew Vhagar was the biggest dragon but I guess I hadn’t noticed just how much bigger. That was like a grizzly bear vs a baby kitten
Damn that was an intense finish to the season! I felt so bad for the kid. It seemed like the dragons just took over the fight. Might be a preview of things to come.

That season was amazing.