How Does Brock Purdy Compare?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Correct. But if he can sustain this momentum while remaining healthy, it will be an incredible 2nd half to the FB season.

I'll wait and see if he actually has momentum to begin with after Saturday.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Correct. But if he can sustain this momentum while remaining healthy, it will be an incredible 2nd half to the FB season.

The assumption is that players will get better. However, if we've had 1 QB that has played well for a first couple of games, but never really meaningfully progressed (and quite often actually regressed), we've had a million...including at least Meyer, Arnaud, Flynn, Tiller, Jantz, Barnett, Richardson, Rohach, and Park. The jury is still somewhat out on Kempt and Noland, but I do think that Kempt peaked last year. We only scored 21 points (28 if you count the pho-fumble) in the bowl game (and I know he wasn't 100%, so there is some reason to excuse that performance), but he was not impressive in the Iowa game this year. I am hopeful that this staff does a better job with this development. Purdy was great last week, but OK St wasn't prepared for him/his style of play. It was clear that he was quick to pull the ball down and run on some passing plays, and some of his completions were a bit fortuitous. I hope he continues to progress, but I think it is unreasonable to expect a repeat performance this week, and I would say that even if we were playing Kansas.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
tenor.gif

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The assumption is that players will get better. However, if we've had 1 QB that has played well for a first couple of games, but never really meaningfully progressed (and quite often actually regressed), we've had a million...including at least Meyer, Arnaud, Flynn, Tiller, Jantz, Barnett, Richardson, Rohach, and Park. The jury is still somewhat out on Kempt and Noland, but I do think that Kempt peaked last year. We only scored 21 points (28 if you count the pho-fumble) in the bowl game (and I know he wasn't 100%, so there is some reason to excuse that performance), but he was not impressive in the Iowa game this year. I am hopeful that this staff does a better job with this development. Purdy was great last week, but OK St wasn't prepared for him/his style of play. It was clear that he was quick to pull the ball down and run on some passing plays, and some of his completions were a bit fortuitous. I hope he continues to progress, but I think it is unreasonable to expect a repeat performance this week, and I would say that even if we were playing Kansas.
Several of those guys improved, while several others never looked as good as Purdy and weren’t really expected to ever look like that. Which is why there’s optimism.

Yeah, let’s not expect him to weekly have the B12’s highest passing rating, but it’s just as bad to use WRs from decades ago.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Whoa, everyone's being a little harsh. BeastCy has thrown together some trivia quizzes in the past. They are fun time killers. He probably used Purdy as a little click-bait, but the quiz is concerning Sage and Seneca.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Sage vs Seneca.JPG

I got 8 out of 10 right without cheating. Messed up on a couple of those questions. Learned some facts about Sage and Seneca that I hadn't known before!

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I am all in on BP. But...

Sunshine Sammy Richardson threw 4 TDs in his first game IIRC. He wasn't a bad QB in the overall scheme of the universe, but neither was he Sage or Seneca.

So let's be excited about BP, but pump the brakes all the same.

Ted Feldman

Sep 14, 2018
I am all in on BP. But...

Sunshine Sammy Richardson threw 4 TDs in his first game IIRC. He wasn't a bad QB in the overall scheme of the universe, but neither was he Sage or Seneca.

So let's be excited about BP, but pump the brakes all the same.

Sam Richardson always looked like he had his dads shoulder pads on. Noland, Richardson, Austin, Steele, Tiller, Kempt, or anyone else in awhile has never, in multiple starts, done things that Purdy already has done. Shoulder fakes, Pump fakes, Fake option toss and take to house, throw into one on one coverage with a beautiful ball after ball that allowed our great WR's to make a plays. If Brock doesn't work out okay, but I will be shocked. Noland played great vs OU, but he did not make anyone gasp at his outstanding ability. Purdy put a collective pause around the Big12 last Saturday.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Several of those guys improved, while several others never looked as good as Purdy and weren’t really expected to ever look like that. Which is why there’s optimism.

Yeah, let’s not expect him to weekly have the B12’s highest passing rating, but it’s just as bad to use WRs from decades ago.

I'd be curious to know which of those guys you feel improved. Meyer and Arnaud both peaked as sophomores.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Sam Richardson always looked like he had his dads shoulder pads on. Noland, Richardson, Austin, Steele, Tiller, Kempt, or anyone else in awhile has never, in multiple starts, done things that Purdy already has done. Shoulder fakes, Pump fakes, Fake option toss and take to house, throw into one on one coverage with a beautiful ball after ball that allowed our great WR's to make a plays. If Brock doesn't work out okay, but I will be shocked. Noland played great vs OU, but he did not make anyone gasp at his outstanding ability. Purdy put a collective pause around the Big12 last Saturday.

There is no doubt that Purdy had a great game, but there a few things working in his favor, along with a few fortuitous plays/great plays by his receivers in the game, that skewed his performance. His playing style was 180 degrees different than what an already bad Ok St defense had prepared for in Noland. He beat Ok St with his legs, but now coaches have file. WVU will try to stop that. He's gonna have to prove he has the patience to sit in the pocket and go through his progressions without getting skittish and bailing early.

And I disagree re: Noland. His ability to challenge all parts of the field with his arm talent continues to be really impressive IMO. If we had a different OL that was more adept at drop-back pass blocking, his arm talent would be allowed to flourish more. Purdy's mobility suits our OL talent more.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Its hard to compare him to anyone ever. Those 2 QBs are so different than what we have today. Also Sage was a good QB but his numbers are not all that great. Kempt's yards from last year are very comparable to Sage's, and is % and TD to INT was much better.