How far will the bench extend?

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
So with the Hans Brase signing there is a good possibility we have filled the active roster for 2017-18 (of course subject to change), what will be the extent of the rotation and what/who will it entail? As a start I'll throw down my starters/rotation

1. Jackson/Wigginton
2. Jackson/Wigginton
3. NWB
4. Brase/Beverly/Lard
5. Young

6.Brase/Beverly/Lard
7.Brase/Beverly/Lard
8.Long/Lewis
9.Wildcard (Long/Lewis/McNeil)

I understand this is speculative but it is +/- 9 guys in a rotation which seems realistic for a rotation for this team, of course minutes-wise this could get interesting. Putting Young at 5 I'm assuming him as starter with the 6/7 spot being rotation

Reactions: psychlone99

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
They'll figure out the rotation in the non-conference; once conference play it will most likely be 8 deep

• Agree
Reactions: psychlone99

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
DJ, LW, JB, HB, SY, NWB, CL, vary few past that. NWB could start if he improves, but may be much better as a backup for the 2/3 spots.

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
DJ, LW, JB, HB, SY, NWB, CL, vary few past that. NWB could start if he improves, but may be much better as a backup for the 2/3 spots.
My question here would be do you have JB starting at the 3? I have some reservations as to if he can guard the 3. I have some questions about his quickness compared to B12 wings

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
My question here would be do you have JB starting at the 3? I have some reservations as to if he can guard the 3. I have some questions about his quickness compared to B12 wings

Would have to come in 10-15 lbs lighter. Would take work. NWB would clearly be better on D, but a dead sport on O, and would be left with under classman as backups for DJ/LW. I have concerns with that.

• Creative
Reactions: seattleCy

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
And we still might be adding a good one mid-late summer.
As an Illinois fan as well, he may not be available immediately but we should take a look at DJ Williams. He's an athletic wing that can handle the ball and I believe he played at Simeon. He's a sit 1 play 2 that just couldn't find the floor behind Malcolm Hill. At the very least a good scoring 6th man

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
Would have to come in 10-15 lbs lighter. Would take work. NWB would clearly be better on D, but a dead sport on O, and would be left with under classman as backups for DJ/LW. I have concerns with that.
That would definitely be ideal, I think more realistically NWB starts and JB is a good 6th man that can hopefully guard 3 spots

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I posted this in another thread. This year we had 4 guys average 29+ minutes per game. I don't see guys on this roster ready for that kind of minutes. Tough for young guys to play that much and DJ isn't very big. This may lead to a longer bench.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I think it depends on how much dropoff there is between the established starters and the next five. Last season outside of NWB and Jackson, the defense and offensive drop was fairly large. It promoted a shorter bench with some spot minutes to alleviate foul trouble or a mismatch disadvantage. This season brings a lot more unknowns. On paper there could be more talent deeper into the bench but with the inexperience it will be hard to sort out the ups and downs with bench use.

I think sorting some of that out will also indicate how we'll play defense. Having front court depth could lead to more rotations and higher tempo. It may not. Either way, too early to tell.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It will be 10 deep, to an extent non conference. It depends on how those 10 perform on whether it's 7-10(likely 8)deep by March.

The staff has an idea, but they don't know yet either. Their starting lineup to start the season might not be the one to end it.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
There are way too many unknowns with this roster to really know.

Normally I would say 7-8 by conference play, but hopefully there are a couple of surprises with guys like Long, Lewis, Lard, McNeill to where they're too good to keep off the court.