How long after an interview does it take to hear back?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
When they say "a few weeks"? Been waiting 2 weeks to hear back about a County job. Honestly don't really care if I get it or not but can't really make plans until I know.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
I had an employer that would drag his feet while hiring. When I got hired I called a week after the interview. One day while he was looking to hire a new guy he told me that my persistence separated me from the rest. I think I called after a week, had another interview, called again so maybe three weeks from the original interview, had my third one and got hired.

• Informative
Reactions: deadeyededric

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
You say County job, so I assume government?

If this were a private company, I would expect them to make an offer within a couple days of interviewing you or when they finish all interviews. Assuming they wanted to extend an offer. If you don't hear back within a couple days or when they say they will complete interviews, it means they were not interested. Private businesses don't want to generally wait.

But if this is government, they may have to wait for a certain amount of time before closing the application process or when they can extend an offer.

cysdaone

Mar 18, 2015
Des Moines Area
When they say "a few weeks"? Been waiting 2 weeks to hear back about a County job. Honestly don't really care if I get it or not but can't really make plans until I know.
If its been two weeks since the interview, I think you could email the hiring manager or recruiter depending on who you had the interview with and reiterate your interest in the position, mention why you think you are a good fit, and ask about the timeline for the next steps.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
It seems like everything else went fast. I applied and got an offer to interview within like 5 days. My references haven't been called either so I'm assuming I was passed over.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I had an employer that would drag his feet while hiring. When I got hired I called a week after the interview. One day while he was looking to hire a new guy he told me that my persistence separated me from the rest. I think I called after a week, had another interview, called again so maybe three weeks from the original interview, had my third one and got hired.

This. Calling will show that you are interested and eager.

For my first "real" job out of grad school, I called to make sure they received my resume. They said, "Hold on...oh yeah we have it here...let me open the envelope..." That phone call lasted 20 minutes and they offered me the job two weeks later. Ya just never know!

Reactions: NWICY and Cdiedrick

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

If this were a private company, I would expect them to make an offer within a couple days of interviewing you or when they finish all interviews. Assuming they wanted to extend an offer. If you don't hear back within a couple days or when they say they will complete interviews, it means they were not interested. Private businesses don't want to generally wait.

But if this is government, they may have to wait for a certain amount of time before closing the application process or when they can extend an offer.

In a perfect world maybe. From my experience they are generally thinking it over for at least a few days after the interviews and then working with HR on salary before extending an offer so it ends up being at least a week. Once had one drag out for a month or so because they had to do some restructuring and move managers around that took precedence.

YMMV but smaller orgs will be quicker.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It seems like everything else went fast. I applied and got an offer to interview within like 5 days. My references haven't been called either so I'm assuming I was passed over.

I don't think I have ever had any of my references called for a job. Only once have I been called by a co-worker who used me as a reference.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
My experience is that after that long they are likely working with someone else but don't want to cut you loose yet. Just call HR, they aren't bothered by it.

Yeah, this happened to me on a job. I applied and it was down to me and one other person. I was working with a recruiter for this job and everything they told the recruiter indicated that I was going to be their person. However, after a couple weeks, they decided to go with the other person. I assume they waited until the other persons first day before telling me.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't think I have ever had any of my references called for a job. Only once have I been called by a co-worker who used me as a reference.

Not saying references are a thing of the past but due to liability you can't really say anything other than confirming that they worked there so I don't know how often they are actually used.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Depending on the role, there may be lots of hoops/approvals needed for a government job before they can officially extend the offer. I had a buddy who got a job last year as a County Engineer. It took several weeks for him to get a "verbal approval" that they intended to hire him. But he wasn't officially offered the job until the county supervisors approved it which was several weeks after that.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not saying references are a thing of the past but due to liability you can't really say anything other than confirming that they worked there so I don't know how often they are actually used.

I am referring to professional references, the people you list that are previous co-workers and/or friends that the potential new employer can call to ask questions.

If they call one of the previous companies you work for HR department, then I agree, they can't say much other than you worked there.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I figured it was about 50/50 anymore with that. All you can really say is "I wouldn't hire this person again" right? I wasn't sure if this being a government job and in California they would have more rules for HR people regarding checks.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This. Calling will show that you are interested and eager.

For my first "real" job out of grad school, I called to make sure they received my resume. They said, "Hold on...oh yeah we have it here...let me open the envelope..." That phone call lasted 20 minutes and they offered me the job two weeks later. Ya just never know!

Or it shows that you're a bother. There's a lot of that going around, I'm told.
"I'm told" is key. I haven't applied for anything for a year or more.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Depending on the role, there may be lots of hoops/approvals needed for a government job before they can officially extend the offer. I had a buddy who got a job last year as a County Engineer. It took several weeks for him to get a "verbal approval" that they intended to hire him. But he wasn't officially offered the job until the county supervisors approved it which was several weeks after that.
This is fire marshal type stuff.